• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could Schlenk be thinking Damian Jones profiles as a young Dedmon?

sturt

• Premium Member

Both list as 7-0, 245.

Both, as far as I've ever understood, have been more regarded for their defensive prowess than offensive (... which has changed somewhat for Dedmon once having arrived in ATL).

And these numbers aren't all that different, and particularly as you take into account age and year of pro experience...

2019-07-09_1516.png

2019-07-09_1516.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member

New thought, at least for me, from the what-goes-around-comes-around department....

1. Dedmon out in ATL

2. Dedmon to SAC, Cauley-Stein expendable and, eventually, out

3. Cauley-Stein to GSW, Jones expendable and, eventually, out

4. Jones in to ATL

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect too much from him. I watched a decent amount Golden State games before cause my dad is a Warriors fan and Jones is atrocious. He has no feel for the game and is one of the worst rebounders I've ever seen play the game. Just amazes me how bad of a rebounder he is when you factor in his athleticism, size, and excellent physical tools.

Edited by Marvin24Williams
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

No denying the rebounding's weak.

Otoh, his numbers are slightly better as a shooter and a passer.

And like Dedmon, his FT% sucked, but also like Dedmon, there appears to be some noticeable and encouraging trend upward.

And. Maybe the biggest "and" is that he's not even barely played anything approaching 82 games in a season yet.

• Like 2

A friend of mine whose opinion I value and a scrubs fan doesn’t usually beat around the bush about a player but he doesn’t gloat about players much. Scrubs season tix holder for like 20 years. Soft spoken dude so when the trade happened he texted:

Jones is solid. 

Gotta admit I was personally boycotting the Warriors for the last couple year ..three or four so I don’t know Jones game well but I’ll ride with my friend.

Solid=Omari role minimum 

If nothing else, Damian Jones has gone up against Draymond and KD during practice the last few years..(ok Zaza, Jordan Bell, Kevon Looney, Javale McGee, David West) so he’s probably picked up some knowledge.

Unless we make a trade or pick up another free agent, he’s probably our opening night starting center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Dedmon. A less skilled JaVale McGee with more size is probably as good as it gets. 

Trae will work well with him. He looks quicker than Dedmon to me but I think Ded has a better perimeter shot for sure.

• Like 2

We may be in for a big surprise here with Damian. Another lob threat for Trae. Spell was another shooter but we got that in our wings now and got a rim protecting lob catcher instead. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/12/warriors-big-man-damian-jones-takes-starting-center-job-in-preseason-finale/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Impressive film.  He may not be as big a bust as at first we feared.  And, since he's not really old and he is athletic, he could really improve.  Right now, Atlanta may have him as #3 on the depth chart behind Alex Len and Bruno Fernando. 

We may not have an all star center.  With three big men and Collins available when we go small ball, we shouldn't be too worried for now.

Trae to center for an Alley Oop!  (Remember the old cartoon, Alley Oop?)  Bet we see some slams this season and on defense, maybe a block or two before all is said and done.  We ain't great but we good !!

:yahoo:

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Dedmon was a decent pick n pop shooter from the midrange from what I remember. He had a decent shooting stroke which allowed Bud to help him expand his range to 3, can't say I see the same shooting stroke from Jones. He's strictly a rim running C on offense.  Good thing we have a PG to maximize that.

I'll reserve judgement until the preseason.

We wanted another true C, we got one I guess.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see Dedmon. A less skilled JaVale McGee with more size is probably as good as it gets.

Not today's Dedmon, no.

But rewinding Dedmon back to that age and/or that experience, they're pretty similar, imo, with the main difference appearing to be rebounding, and specifically on the defensive boards. Jones might have a very slight advantage as a shot blocker on that end, and as a passer on the other.

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Damian Jones has gone up against Draymond and KD during practice the last few years.

Yeah, don't think you can overstated gaining experience going against Draymond in practice or going up against opponents with Draymond as well. Would have expected a better showing by now but let LP and Trae do their thing for a while and am expecting a good bit more from him after twenty or so games.

• Like 4