marco102

Trae and John on USA Basketball Select Team

USA lost their last 2 FIBA games.

The 'stars' are wanna show up like White Knights come the Olympics are withdrawing left and right for FIBA!

Anywho....

Trae Young (20)

Young is coming off a brilliant rookie season with the Hawks, when he averaged 19.1 points on 41.8 percent shooting and 8.1 assists per game. He played for the U.S. Select Team this summer and had an outside chance of making the World Cup roster before withdrawing with an eye infection. His combination of unlimited shooting range and elite playmaking makes him a perfect fit for Team USA. The Americans don’t need a big-time scorer at point; they need someone who can create easy shots for teammates in transition and shoot defenses out of zones in the half court. And while Young will have issues on defense, the Americans should have more than enough long and athletic perimeter players to protect him, from returning players like Mitchell and Tatum to a Select Team player like Jonathan Isaac.

• Like 4

^^^ Hey, didn't they choose Kuzma over Collins? I also thought they gave Derrick White the nod over Trae before his eye injury? What did they expect to happen? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

^^^ Hey, didn't they choose Kuzma over Collins? I also thought they gave Derrick White the nod over Trae before his eye injury? What did they expect to happen? 

Kuzma over Collins, then Kuzma was also cut.

Trae was out with eye, then White got the call.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Kuzma over Collins, then Kuzma was also cut.

Trae was out with eye, then White got the call.

Ah ok. That sounds a little more reasonable. Kuzma over Collins still sounds insane to me. Would any sane GM trade Collins for Kuzma right now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fox got the nod first over both White and Trae. But rumors placed White in front of Trae before he got the eye infection. 

2 hours ago, hawkman said:

Ah ok. That sounds a little more reasonable. Kuzma over Collins still sounds insane to me. Would any sane GM trade Collins for Kuzma right now?

Donnie Nelson

Bob Meyers

Darryl Morey

😆 But they shouldn’t. They just love the transition pull up 3 too much. 😉 

Collins>>>>>>Kuuuzz all day

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Donnie Nelson

Bob Meyers

Darryl Morey

😆 But they shouldn’t. They just love the transition pull up 3 too much. 😉 

Collins>>>>>>Kuuuzz all day

And never forget of course....the one and only Doug Moe.

11 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Fox got the nod first over both White and Trae. But rumors placed White in front of Trae before he got the eye infection. 

Fox yes ..White No.

“Derrick White and Trae Young have been impressive in leading the teams, being the floor generals at such a young age,” said Team USA center Brook Lopez.

Trae Young was forced to leave the team with an eye issue, which opened up a guard spot for White.

https://airalamo.com/2019/08/08/san-antonio-spurs-derrick-white-promoted-team-usa/

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the guy but I gotta respeck Colangelo's stance here ...

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/09/12/usa-basketball-world-cup-roster-jerry-colangelo

"I can only say, you can’t help but notice and remember who you thought you were going to war with and who didn’t show up," Colangelo said. “I’m a firm believer that you deal with the cards you’re dealt. All we could have done, and we did it, is get the commitments from a lot of players. So with that kind of a hand you feel reasonably confident that you’re going to be able to put a very good representative team on the court.

"No one would have anticipated the pull-outs that we had."

Suns mouthpiece, Eddie Johnson has said for weeks that Colangelo is the type of guy that will hold a grudge against those who questionably pulled out or chose not to show up.  It's clear, if this were the Olympics, them guys would've killed to be on the team.  Guys like Booker, Bagley, and especially Fox will have no shot in 2020.

Bodes well for our guys, and probably #PleaseKevinDon'tHeurt'Em. (What was the new nickname for him this year, I already forgot it).

What TF is Booker saving himself for?  A playoff run?  Don't make me giggle, bro.  Your season was over in freaking October basically.  Guys like Lebron (old, devoted countless months to USAB), Curry, etc. they have an excuse this summer, you didn't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

And never forget of course....the one and only Doug Moe.

The run n shoot stolen off the Oilers, how can I forget.

AND THE BALL IS STOLEN BY MICHAEL ADAMS AS HE GOES IN FOR A 1-0 layup...OH WAIT HE PULLED UP FOR THE 3! 😞 

Lakers 148

Nuggets 107

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The run n shoot stolen off the Oilers, how can I forget.

AND THE BALL IS STOLEN BY MICHAEL ADAMS AS HE GOES IN FOR A 1-0 layup...OH WAIT HE PULLED UP FOR THE 3! 😞 

Lakers 148

Nuggets 107

Nuggets would win by a million points during the regular season and lose by a million in post season. Still, was fun as hell to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Nuggets would win by a million points during the regular season and lose by a million in post season. Still, was fun as hell to watch.

Ya I recall as a Hawks fan I always hated all the east coast and central division teams back then as we were in that funky, made no sense division with the Bulls Pistons Cavs and all them. Some of the West teams were fun and this was one of them for sure. The Nuggets during that late 80’s then the Deke/Rauf days were fun as well. Denver always liked a little guard that can shoot in the mold of a Michael Adams or Mahmoud Chris Jackson Rauf. 

Said this before but I also kinda liked the early 90’s Sonics as well as the Hornets 🐝 but I couldn’t really like them as we were rivals for at least the end of that decade where we had a great Smitty/Rice duel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Here’s a lil clip of Michael Adams..fun little player back then for sure. Must see Mike TV 📺 

Mr. Wrap-A-Round.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the guy but I gotta respeck Colangelo's stance here ...

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/09/12/usa-basketball-world-cup-roster-jerry-colangelo

Suns mouthpiece, Eddie Johnson has said for weeks that Colangelo is the type of guy that will hold a grudge against those who questionably pulled out or chose not to show up.  It's clear, if this were the Olympics, them guys would've killed to be on the team.  Guys like Booker, Bagley, and especially Fox will have no shot in 2020.

Bodes well for our guys, and probably #PleaseKevinDon'tHeurt'Em. (What was the new nickname for him this year, I already forgot it).

What TF is Booker saving himself for?  A playoff run?  Don't make me giggle, bro.  Your season was over in freaking October basically.  Guys like Lebron (old, devoted countless months to USAB), Curry, etc. they have an excuse this summer, you didn't.

“Going forward for USA Basketball, we’re going to need the cooperation of teams, agents and then there has to be communication with players 1-on-1 to solidify those commitments,” Colangelo said. “I am going to be anxious to see how many players reach out early to indicate that they wish and want and desire to play.

“But I’ll make this statement: It’s as much about maybe who we don’t want as much as who we want.”

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Im not here to debate between the two, I think Trae is better and should have made the team. That being said, the following article came before Trae shut it down, claiming White was being lauded as the best player on the court, with Trae even being quoted praising him. I think White always was pegged higher whether deserving or not. He usually started for the Select team in scrimmages with Trae coming in off the bench.  Lest we forget as well, Pop likely always wanted White due to familiarity with his system. The whole way the went about this years team was frustrating in general. They went with older (age) or more tenured players versus actual talent. That’s why the Select team was beating up on them in most of the practice runs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ksat.com/sports/derrick-white-called-best-player-on-the-court-at-team-usa-training-camp

Windhorst did say White was promoted before Trae dropped out. For whatever that’s worth. I can buy Trae trying to save face with a random injury. But he shouldn’t feel bad, especially after the way the team performed. They definitely needed someone with his ability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High5 said:

They definitely needed someone with his ability.

Yeah, look at what Rubio has been doing. So do agree very much.