NBASupes

NBA Team Fit 2019-2020

Update: 7/14/2019

Rating System: 
Now/Potential Review of the Hawks: 

Rating system: 

5 - Average G-League player

5.5 - High end G-League player (two way) 14th-17th man

6 - 11-12th man (Spending time in the G-League, NBA player and has NBA ability)

6.5 - 8th-10th man (Quality rotational player)

7  - 6th -7th man (Borderline Starter) 

7.5 (Starter) Very good player. Has a defined game and ability. Role player. Solid player. 

8 - (Starter) Excellent player. High end role player. Champions level starter. Provides consistency. Gives confidence to the coaching staff. Could be supremely talented but lack the consistency needed to be a champions level starter. 

8.5 - (Low end All Star) Super player. Makes everyone better. Coach can count on him. Seen as a franchise piece. 

9 - (Legit All Star) Great impact. Reliable. Can carry units. Teams will offer him the max. A must to retain. 

9.5 - (Legit All Star) MVP candidate, brings it at a rare ATG level. Has flaws but plays to his strengths to the 10th degree and is unstoppable. 

10. (Superstar) This is James Harden, this is Giannis. This is Westbrook in his MVP season. 

HOF - LeBron James, Tim Duncan, MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc. This is a legend. This player made a significant impact on the game. His success speaks for itself. You gotta earn HOF ceiling. Not even Zion just gets it. 

Tier 1: Superstar potential
1. Zion - Pelicans - Fit: 8.5 
New Floor: 8.5
New Ceiling: 10 
No change, I like they are building around his open court style. I like it a ton but the personnel is still WIP. 

Tier 2: All Star potential

2t. R.J. Barrett - Knicks - Fit - 7
New Floor: 7
New Ceiling: 9

Floor dropped a bit. Needs to hope the Knicks put the right people around him. Ceiling dropped as well unless the Knicks can figure it out.

2t. Ja Morant - Grizzles - Fit: 8.5 
New Floor: 7.5
New Ceiling: 9.5

Great situation with JJJ and Clarke. They still need to add more but they are on the right track. 

Tier 3.5: Decent Role player potential with All Star possibilities down the road. I do see these guys as Day 1 contributors.

4t. Reddish -  - Hawks - Fit: 10 

Perfect fit for him. Best fit for player/team in the draft. Homework done extremely well for both teams. Should reach his ceiling and some. 

4t. Brandon Clarke - Grizzles - Fit: 9 

Excellent fit for him. He will take some time but watchout. He can be special with the Grizzlies.  

4t. Darius Garland  - Cavs - Fit: 7.5 
New Floor: 6.5

I like the idea of playing Garland/Sexton to be the next Dame/C.J. but those guys did so many little things right. These two well don't. It's gonna take awhile but Garland has the talent without question. 

4t. Bol - Nuggets - Fit: 8 
Most likely case: 7.5

Obviously he has a short period of time finding out he has Brandon Roy knees at a worse stage than Roy in the draft is bad. Very likely he won't reach his ceiling. Sad case 😞

4t. Coby White  - Bulls - Fit: 9 

Uber fortunate to go to a tremendous situation. Should reach his ceiling and some. 

Tier 4: Decent Role player potential or raw with AS possibilities. Deep Tier 4 class. One of the best in years. Of course, some of these guys could return.

9t. Jaxson Hayes  - Pels - Fit: 9 
New Floor: 6

9t. DeAndre Hunter  - Hawks - Fit: 9 
New Ceiling: 8

Doesn't really change his floor or ceiling but it's the perfect role situation for Hunter. Hunter is one of the rare if not most rare who has the potential of a 8 at 4 positions. I don't know any player with this type of versitility. 

9t. Romeo Langford  - Celtics - Fit: 8 
New Ceiling: 8.5

Doesn't change his floor or ceiling. I like Boston making this move. If Brown wants too much or doesn't live up to his potential, you can move Tatum to SF and Romeo to SG.  

9t. Nassir Little  - Blazers - Fit: 8 
New Floor: 5.5

I overestimated his floor of his ceiling is as high as anyone in the draft. Blazers is a great development situation but I am not sold on the fit with Dame and C.J. 

9t. Rui  - Wiz- Fit: 9 

I missed on Rui. He can play and impact the game. I really missed on his ceiling. His driving ability is legit. His strength and hands is legit and his talent is legit. I missed on him, I said I wouldn't miss on Donovan Mitchell again but I did with Rui.  

9t. Mfiondu Kabengele  - Clippers - Fit: 10 

Nothing changed but he's in the perfect fit. Him and Cam Reddish should be happy af. His floor is still low but I wouldn't be suprised if he is starting before the playoffs over Zubac. His ceiling got a major bump due to the situation. Him and Cam really benefited from this draft. 

9t. Goga Bitadze  - Pacers - Fit: 8 

I like the team and how they use centers but man, Goga gonna be fighting for mins for years unless Indy got a trade idea? Still extremely high on him. 

9t. Jarrett Culver   - Wolves - Fit: 9 

I like the fit. I really think if he can improve his shot, his ceiling can be much much higher.  

9t. Sekou  - Pistons - Fit: 9.5 

I love the fit. Casey is a great player development coach. He has a great culture. Siakam was developed by Casey. I really like the fit. I think they will reach his ceiling. Great pick! Boosted ceiling but lowered floor. 

18. Bruno Fernando  - Hawks - Fit: 9.5 

PDS, great system, fits exceptionally well next to John Collins. Best case for Bruno. I didn't boost his floor or ceiling but I do think his ceiling will be reached. His floor is lower than I projected at first. 

19t. Tyler Herro  - Heat - Fit: 9.5 

Boosted floor and ceiling, better prospect then I though. 

19t. P.J. Washington  - Hornets - Fit: 7 
New Ceiling: 7

I had him as a 10 fit with Kemba but with Rozier, I dropped him severely. This will be a bust sadly unless they land Cole Anthony next year. He needs a high end playmaking PG. 

19t. Nickeil Alexander-Walker -   - Pals - Fit: 9 

Went to a great situation. Boosted floor and ceiling. 

19t. Talen Horton-Tucker  - Lakers - Fit: 7.5 
New Ceiling: 7.5

Unlikely to reach ceiling. Likely bust. 

19t. KZ Okpala  - Heat - Fit: 9 

I am still pretty high on KZ and I like the fit.   

24t. Keldon Johnson  - Spurs - Fit: 9.5 

Tremendous sitation for a player I felt was going to be a bust. Likely to reach his ceiling. 

24t. Grant Williams  - BOS - Fit: 9.5 

Another tremendous fit which is unusual as most drafts have shit fits but since this class was deep, teams didn't take risk as much. 

24t. Matisse Thybulle  - PHI - Fit: 8.5

I do think he could reach his ceiling but it will take some time. I expect his defense to translate ASAP. 

24t. Nic Claxton  - Nets - Fit: 9.5 

His ceiling boost will come when KD comes. This has a 10 fit potential with KD. Tremendous pick by Brooklyn!  

24t. Luka Samanic  - SA - Fit: 9.5 

Another player thankful to be selected by Pop. Tremendous pick and situation for Luka. 

29t. Jalen McDaniels  - Hornets - Fit: 7.5

Might seem like I am down on Charlotte, I just don't see it as a good situation. I do like it more for Jalen as he will get PT. Still don't think he will reach his ceiling. 

29t. Gafford  - Bulls - Fit: 8.5 but 10 potential. 
New Ceiling: 7.5/8.5

His fit with White is a perfect one but he still has clear holes in his game. Not sure he will be as good as WCJ which I have as a 9 ceiling but his ceiling is MUCH MUCH higher with White than without him. 

29t. Kevin Porter Jr.  - Cavs - Fit: 7

I think he will be a bust. I have little hope for him.  

29t. Cameron Johnson -   - PHX - Fit: 9.5 

I think he will be much better than people think, especially as a 6th man in the role like J.J. Redick. Role, fit and situation is everything. His floor was always going to be a 7 but his ceiling has been majorly boosted

33t. Admiral Schofield -   - Wiz - Fit: 9 

I really like the fit. I think he has a lot to prove. Good play by WAS again. His verstility is vital. We must remember, while these types have lower ceilings, they play multiple positions and add value to a number of different units which is critical in roster building. 

33t. Ty Jerome  - Suns - Fit: 9.5

I was one of the guys who was high on this draft for PHX because they went apeshit on fit and I love it. Jerome will likely be a low end starter but his impact should make up for his lack of stats. The fact that Mikal can guard 1-3 gives you more options than the norm. 

33t. Darius Bazley  - Thunder - Fit: 9.5 
New Floor: 5

He has one of the highest ceilings in this class going to a tremendous player development squad. OKC has been developing a lot of their G-League guys and they are doing a tremendous job of idenifying talent. They haven't hit a late pick home run since Ibaka but they are in the right direction. He could very likely reach his tremendous ceiling. 

33t. Isaiah Roby  - Mavs - Fit: 9 

Love this guy! Love em! With a higher floor, Dallas will get a rotation guy with a mid 2nd. WOW!. 

33t. Terance Davis  - Raptors - Fit: 9.5 

Should have been drafted. His ceiling could be even higher. Great move by the Raps.

33t. Justin Harper  - Suns - Fit: 9 

People really fudged up and missed on this kid. He can be good too. 

33t. Terrance Mann  - LAC - Fit: 9.5 

I love this kid. LAC making legendary picks again. Only pick I hated is Jerome Robinson. 

33t. Tremont Waters  - Cs - Fit: 8 

Great pick by the C's. 

33t. Kyle Guy  - Kings - Fit: 9.5 

Teams will regret passing on him. 

33t. Tyler Cook  - DEN - Fit: 8 
New Ceiling: 6.5

33t. Chuma Okeke  - ORL - Fit: 8 

Okeke was a great long term play for Orlando and fits what they do but do they fit him seeing how roster locked they are at his position.

33t Jontay Porter - 😞

Tier 5: Low floors with Decent Role player potential or career backups with limited potential - I don't

45. Justin Wright-Foreman - UTA - Fit: 9 

Watch out, this kid can be a heck of a backup guard. 

46t. Naz Reid - MIN - Fit: 9 

I like the system fit of what MIN is planning. Naz does fit that as a rotation piece long term. After this, no more comments...

46t. Zach Norvell - LAL - Fit: 9 

46t. Tacko Fall - BOS - Fit: 9.5 

46t. Dylan Windler - CLE - Fit: 8 

46t. Shamorie Ponds - HOU - Fit: 7.5 
New Ceiling: 6

Needs to find the best fit. G-League bound.

46t. Jalen Lecque - PHX - Fit: 8 

46t. Miye Oni - UTA - Fit: 9.5 

46t. Louis King - DET - Fit: 8.5

54t. Marial Shayok - PHI - Fit: 9.5 

54t. Carsen Edwards - BOS - Fit: 10 

54t. Lindell Wigginton  - TOR - Fit: 9 

54t. Markus Howard - Didn't enter the draft...

54t. Dedric Lawson - GS - Fit: 7.5
New Ceiling: 5.5

54t. Jordan Bone - DET - Fit: 9.5

60t. Charles Matthews 😞

60t. Jordan Poole  - GS - Fit: 9.5

60t Iggy Brazdeikis -  - NY - Fit: 9

I missed on him. 😞

60t. Konate  - TOR - Fit: 9 

60t. Paschall  - GS - Fit: 9 

65t. Cassius Winston  - Returned to college

65t. Tookie Brown - No SL invite 😞

67t. Ahmed Hill  - Brooklyn - Fit: 9 

67t. Nick Perkins  - Knicks - Fit: 7 

67t. Justin James  - SAC - Fit: 9.5 

67t. Fletcher Magee  - MIL - Fit: 8 

Going the Europe route

67t. Obi Toppin - Returned to college

67t. John Konchar  - MEM - Fit: 9 

I think he has potential

67t. Simi Shittu  - MEM - Fit: 9 

67t. DaQuan Jeffries  - ORL - Fit: 9.5

Steal!

67t. Reggie Perry - college

67t. Dewan Hernandez   - TOR - Fit: 9.5

67t. Oshae Brissett - high low floor with a semi mid ceiling

67t. Cody Martin   - CHA - Fit: 8

80t. Jarrell Brantley - semi low floor, with a semi low ceiling

80t. Daishon Smith - mid floor, low ceiling, good player who has 2-way potential to be a decent player. 

80t. Luguentz Dort    - CHA - Fit: 9

80t. Mike Daum - Mid high floor - low potential - I compare his type to Kris Humphries. 23 years old but he has a lot of translatable skill. 

80t. Aric Holman - projectable player. Obviously has to put on more size. 3/D PF. A clear low floor semi mid ceiling who is a 2/way option. Could move up into the 2nd round with ease. 

80t. Caleb Martin - semi mid floor with a low ceiling who has potential to develop into a rotation player. 

80t. Juwan Morgan - semi mid floor with a low ceiling who has potential to develop into a rotation player. 

80t. Josh Reaves - semi mid floor with a low ceiling who has potential to develop into a rotation player. His defensive potential will warrant some looks in the 2nd. 

80t. Cody Martin - semi mid floor with a low ceiling who has potential to develop into a rotation player. Great passer for position and you hope he can develop into a secondary playmaker who is a 3/D player long term. Has long term 

80t. Robert Franks - semi mid floor with a low ceiling who has potential to develop into a rotation player. 

80t. Bennie Boatwright - 2020 prospect but low floor/semi-mid ceiling.

80t. Brian Bowen - IND - Fit: 9

80t. D’Marcus Simonds - low floor/semi mid ceiling, he can play but he has to develop his shooting ability and his decision making. If he can develop it, he could be a NBA player but it's unlikely. 

80t. Amir Hinton - NY - Fit: 8

80t. Jaylen Hoard - low floor/semi mid ceiling, his ability to play in Europe next year could push him into the 2nd round. He has the talent and size to play in the NBA but he doesn't have the skill, readiness, or feel at this point. 

Tier 6: G-Leaguer who have the potential to be career backups with limited potential or non NBA prospects who will practice their trade overseas. 

95t. Ethan Happ - Tremendously skilled big with no range whatsoever. 

95t. CJ Massinburg - Euro

95t. Kerwin Roach - Euro

95t. Ky Bowman - G-League

95t. Chris Clemons - HOU - Fit: 10

I didn't miss on him, I just got swayed by his shit Portsmouth. He was expected to be a backup for HOU and took that shit from Ponds and never came close to giving it back. I still have him sladed for the G-League but he might be in HOU sooner than later. 

95t. Matt Morgan - G-League

95t. Makai Mason - G-League

95t. Tyus Battle - 2020 prospect but not getting drafted in 2020 either. 

95t. Dean Wade- Has a lot of potential in countries that value big men passes in Europe but no NBA Potential.

95t. Kenny Goins - G-League

95t. Christ Koumadje - G-League

95t. Zac Cuthbertson - G-League - poor man's NAW

95t. Jakeenan Gant - very poor man's Jarian Grant

95t. Trayvon Reed - G-League

95t. Matt Morgan - G-League

95t. Cameron Young - G-League - Klutch Client 

• Like 2

• Moderators

What does the Tier structure mean?  I expected to see some combination of higher floors and ceilings in each of the higher tiers but I'm not actually seeing that.  For example, Barrett has the lowest floor (by himself) and lowest ceiling (tied for 3rd) of these 4 guys but is the highest tier:

Tier 3.5: Decent Role player potential with All Star possibilities down the road. I do see these guys as Day 1 contributors.

Perfect fit for him. Best fit for player/team in the draft. Homework done extremely well for both teams. Should reach his ceiling and some. 

Tier 4: Decent Role player potential or raw with AS possibilities. Deep Tier 4 class. One of the best in years. Of course, some of these guys could return.

I missed on Rui. He can play and impact the game. I really missed on his ceiling. His driving ability is legit. His strength and hands is legit and his talent is legit. I missed on him, I said I wouldn't miss on Donovan Mitchell again but I did with Rui. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, AHF said:

What does the Tier structure mean?  I expected to see some combination of higher floors and ceilings in each of the higher tiers but I'm not actually seeing that.  For example, Barrett has the lowest floor (by himself) and lowest ceiling (tied for 3rd) of these 4 guys but is the highest tier:

This was my tiers and rankings before the draft. 

This above is my fit and ceiling rankings after the draft. 

As things stand with R.J., I am lower on him with the Knicks than I was with him as a prospect in general as it's a lower end fit and I am not confident with the development situation he is in. 

With Reddish who likely would have gotten a 6.5 and a 8.5 ceiling, went to the perfect situation. I cannot give him a 8 because I don't think Danny Green or Otto Porter will be a fair baseline for him but I gave him a 7.5 which means he will make a positive impact for a low end starter. Think Dedmon for us last year impact. Basically, replacement level which most rookies aren't ever close to. That said, I am personally extremely high on Reddish as we seen in the Moss thread but realistically, that's not a fair baseline which I am aware of. 

I am very high on Clarke potentially at SF but he is a PF. I still expect him to help and impact games as a rookie at PF but more as a 20-25 MPG player. Still better than most rookies which aren't close to starting level as rookies. His best position is PF, his best long term position is SF which he will have to develop into. At PF, his potential is extremely limited at 7.5 which is his floor. 

I completely missed on Rui. Before the draft, I had him at 6.5/8.5. Felt he was like David West/Millsap blend but not the rich man's or nothing like that. I was completely right and wrong. He had that AND some. His explosiveness in traffic, strength and hand use is similar to KL. I saw some of that for Japan but missed on him. I wasn't one of those who was high on the tape. With Mitchell, I didn't watch tape, just clips and stuff. Wasn't too high on him. I felt he likely wasn't as good as Kennard and Monk who I watched film of because the stats just didn't look good for Mitchell. Boy was I wrong. I saw SL and admitted being wrong on Mitchell and said he is the best rookie in the NBA. Of course, Ben Simmons* was a "rookie" so he was but for that class, he Mitchell was clearly the best. Rui has the same feel that Mitchell had. Instant miss, I didn't see this. 

On 7/22/2019 at 2:13 AM, NBASupes said:

This was my tiers and rankings before the draft. 

This above is my fit and ceiling rankings after the draft. 

As things stand with R.J., I am lower on him with the Knicks than I was with him as a prospect in general as it's a lower end fit and I am not confident with the development situation he is in. 

With Reddish who likely would have gotten a 6.5 and a 8.5 ceiling, went to the perfect situation. I cannot give him a 8 because I don't think Danny Green or Otto Porter will be a fair baseline for him but I gave him a 7.5 which means he will make a positive impact for a low end starter. Think Dedmon for us last year impact. Basically, replacement level which most rookies aren't ever close to. That said, I am personally extremely high on Reddish as we seen in the Moss thread but realistically, that's not a fair baseline which I am aware of. 

I am very high on Clarke potentially at SF but he is a PF. I still expect him to help and impact games as a rookie at PF but more as a 20-25 MPG player. Still better than most rookies which aren't close to starting level as rookies. His best position is PF, his best long term position is SF which he will have to develop into. At PF, his potential is extremely limited at 7.5 which is his floor. 

I completely missed on Rui. Before the draft, I had him at 6.5/8.5. Felt he was like David West/Millsap blend but not the rich man's or nothing like that. I was completely right and wrong. He had that AND some. His explosiveness in traffic, strength and hand use is similar to KL. I saw some of that for Japan but missed on him. I wasn't one of those who was high on the tape. With Mitchell, I didn't watch tape, just clips and stuff. Wasn't too high on him. I felt he likely wasn't as good as Kennard and Monk who I watched film of because the stats just didn't look good for Mitchell. Boy was I wrong. I saw SL and admitted being wrong on Mitchell and said he is the best rookie in the NBA. Of course, Ben Simmons* was a "rookie" so he was but for that class, he Mitchell was clearly the best. Rui has the same feel that Mitchell had. Instant miss, I didn't see this. 

Really?  The only issue I see with him and the Knicks is he will be given cart blanche to do anything he wants, score however he likes, ball hog, etc.  Very much like what happened with Luka this last year....he'll get a very long leash to improvise and find himself.  Although that doesn't bode well for his development long term, it means he'll get a chance to stat pad other rookies don't.

Reasons:

The Knicks need someone to market, a star.

No competition for minutes.

He is 6'7 and will mostly play SG. He'll have a size advantage every night.

He'll get to ISO as they are still in lose now mode.

Terrible winner development..spot on there but for as far as "potential/all-star votes/etc" he'll get way more love in NY than he would of in say Charlotte or Atlanta.

49 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Really?  The only issue I see with him and the Knicks is he will be given cart blanche to do anything he wants, score however he likes, ball hog, etc.  Very much like what happened with Luka this last year....he'll get a very long leash to improvise and find himself.  Although that doesn't bode well for his development long term, it means he'll get a chance to stat pad other rookies don't.

Reasons:

The Knicks need someone to market, a star.

No competition for minutes.

He is 6'7 and will mostly play SG. He'll have a size advantage every night.

He'll get to ISO as they are still in lose now mode.

Terrible winner development..spot on there but for as far as "potential/all-star votes/etc" he'll get way more love in NY than he would of in say Charlotte or Atlanta.

That would be the ideal for R.J. situation wise but the issue is fit around him. Dennis Smith Jr. Won't fit. Randle is not a fit. He will a lot to go well like we did with Trae.

I agree with you, the numbers should be there but he needs more to reach his potential long term. 

Being in the NY market for the Knicks will help him more than Charlotte and Atlanta as you stated.

I could really, really, really see him flourishing in a system with a Kemba Walker at point and a Kevin Love/Al Horford type at the 4 / 5. Someone to pick and pop/clear lanes so he can catch and drive instead of pure ISO. The big would have to be a serious shooting threat with the ability to put it on the floor as well. The point needs the ability to function as a pull up shooter on the drive and this would open lanes for him to be moving his feet before receiving the pass to give him the momentum.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 7:38 AM, thecampster said:

I could really, really, really see him flourishing in a system with a Kemba Walker at point and a Kevin Love/Al Horford type at the 4 / 5. Someone to pick and pop/clear lanes so he can catch and drive instead of pure ISO. The big would have to be a serious shooting threat with the ability to put it on the floor as well. The point needs the ability to function as a pull up shooter on the drive and this would open lanes for him to be moving his feet before receiving the pass to give him the momentum.

I 110% agree. I still like Williams being there but if he had a legit PnP big who could screen like Zeller did in Charlotte, Kemba could be so much better than what he already is. 

• 4 months later...