2019 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

• Moderators

With the 144th Pick in the Fifteenth Round of the 2019 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft, Lethal Nas X selects:

SC_D8I9399-826x620.jpg

If nothing else, this one group picture featuring Maximilian Kleber (Power Forward, 6’11”, 240 lbs., Age 27 as of 10/1/2019) is all anyone needs to justify the controversial concept of social promotion. Stop holding Maxi back!

We are going 3-and/or-D once again in Lethalopolis. Only this time, it’s back to the big men. Maxi Kleber assumes a full-time role in the Dynasty League as The Pride of Wurzburg. And this late in the Draft, you could do Wurz than the rare blend of 1.1 made threes per game and 1.1 rejections per game that Kleber offered in a reserve role last year, often behind his now-retired countryman.

There were just 14 players in the Dynasty League (min. 30 games played and 20 mins/game) that registered at least one block and one triple per game last season. Maxi raises LNX’s total of these standout performers to three, following the selections of Joel Embiid and Dewayne Dedmon.

It’s just his third season as a pro in North America, but Kleber (35.3 3FG%, a value that grew after coming off offseason mechanic work and a toe injury that lingered through December) will be looked upon to join Dedmon in helping Embiid (30.0 3FG%) elevate his outside shot accuracy. These bigs, and reserves Joe Harris and Terrence Ross, will help space the floor when Kemba Walker and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander drive into the paint.

Kleber’s 4.4 block percentage has him in a virtual tie for 10th in the League last season with Embiid. Last month, projections website fivethirtyeight crafted a new measure to calculate defensive effectiveness (“Defensive Rating Accounting for Minimal Openness by Nearest Defender,” or “DRAYMOND”), and Maxi’s 5th-place ranking for 2018-19 shows how well he has a nose for the ballhandler, either by protecting the rim or stepping out to haggle shooters along the 3-point line.

Eye tests and stats agree that Kleber is an ideal defensive player for the modern League defense, and an ideal stretch big for the modern League offense. They also agree he could have a stronger role in the passing game (1.0 APG) and as a rim roller if he works at it. Maxi adds value going forward as someone, on and off the floor, who can contribute to the “German-ation,” if you will, of a blossoming squad.

You’ll heart @IheartVolt’s next pick. He’s up next!

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With the next pick , the Atl Air force selects
Thomas Bryant
20_Thomas_Bryant.JPG.jpg
In November, when veteran (undrafted former hawks's center) had season-ending surgery, Bryant leapfrogged (undrafted scrub)on the depth chart to become the Wizards' starting center.
Even during the lowest points of the season as the Wizards' playoff hopes faded, Bryant saturated the roster with enthusiasm and energy. He beat defenders, and sometimes his teammates, down the floor to speed up the transition game, and he was a favorite target of Bradley Beal. Beal, who controlled the offense in the absence of the injured (undrafted PG with bad contract), averaged 4.4 passes per game to Bryant. In a clear sign of respect, he trusted Bryant in late-game situations and set him up for the game-winning shot against the New York Knicks during the teams' Jan. 17 showcase in London.
 Bryant scored a career-best 31 points on 14-for-14 shooting in a triple-overtime win over Phoenix on Dec. 22, becoming the fourth player in NBA history to finish a game perfect from the field with that many attempts.
Bryant played 30+ minutes 12 times last season. In those 12 games Bryant averaged 20 pts - 12 reb - 2.5 ast - 1.5 blk on 68.9 fg%
giphy.gif

PG: Damian Lillard - Coby White
SG: Buddy Hield - Lou Williams - Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Sf: Kawhi Leonard - DeMar DeRozan - Caris LeVert
PF: Kevin Durant - Montrezl Harrell - Bol Bol
C Porzingis - Andre Drummond - Mo Bamba - Thomas Bryant

@AHF

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pimp said:

With the next pick , the Atl Air force selects
Thomas Bryant
20_Thomas_Bryant.JPG.jpg
In November, when veteran (undrafted former hawks's center) had season-ending surgery, Bryant leapfrogged (undrafted scrub)on the depth chart to become the Wizards' starting center.
Even during the lowest points of the season as the Wizards' playoff hopes faded, Bryant saturated the roster with enthusiasm and energy. He beat defenders, and sometimes his teammates, down the floor to speed up the transition game, and he was a favorite target of Bradley Beal. Beal, who controlled the offense in the absence of the injured (undrafted PG with bad contract), averaged 4.4 passes per game to Bryant. In a clear sign of respect, he trusted Bryant in late-game situations and set him up for the game-winning shot against the New York Knicks during the teams' Jan. 17 showcase in London.
 Bryant scored a career-best 31 points on 14-for-14 shooting in a triple-overtime win over Phoenix on Dec. 22, becoming the fourth player in NBA history to finish a game perfect from the field with that many attempts.
Bryant played 30+ minutes 12 times last season. In those 12 games Bryant averaged 20 pts - 12 reb - 2.5 ast - 1.5 blk on 68.9 fg%
giphy.gif

PG: Damian Lillard - Coby White
SG: Buddy Hield - Lou Williams - Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Sf: Kawhi Leonard - DeMar DeRozan - Caris LeVert
PF: Kevin Durant - Montrezl Harrell - Bol Bol
C Porzingis - Andre Drummond - Mo Bamba - Thomas Bryant

@AHF

NOOOOOOOOO! On my queue and very high for the last picks! Ugh 😑 

Nice pick! 😊 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

My last player selected is:

Jerami Grant

wp2488586.jpg

Defense and shooting.

@JayBirdHawk is up next

Agree with spud on the Thomas Bryant love.  

Love this pick as well.  Young and an outstanding defender.  If he can keep up that 3pt% he showed last season, he is an easy fit for any team here.  (39% last season; 33% career).

I would have taken him over Porter if I was drafting this spot for this season.  For my team, I figured between Blake, Markkanen, WCJr and Sekou that I didn't need another rotation player as much as a high ceiling guy.

Grant is great value, though.  I think he'll do quite well for you.

My list coming into this pick was:

Michael Porter Jr. 

Jerami Grant

[PLAYER]

Thomas Bryant [noting that Bryant would be higher if I didn't have center already well covered for 48 minutes]

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Jay's CrapBirds:  Select PF Jabari Parker ( I gotta have a Hawk)

PG: Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Derrick White
SG: Victor Oladipo, Lonnie Walker
SF: Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow, Mikal Bridges
PF: Jonathan Isaac, Rondions Kurucs, Jabari Parker
C: KAT, Jarret Allen, Bam Bam

Coach: Gregg Popovich

@Spud2nique - go go go!

• Like 3

The Spudsters need another big body for the present and the future. A real banger, somebody that has the size and the pedigree to compete in the big leagues and last for a long long time because let’s face it, if his genes 🧬 have anything to say about it, he’ll last in the league until about 2040 or so. 

I wanted the Hawks to get their hands on this kid in this past draft but Jerry West recognized the talent and he walked away with the kid. 

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolando Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo who was my top 5 Hawk of all time approves this next pick....matter of fact he asked me to make the pick.

Without further adieu, With the 150th pick in the Squawk Dynasty Draft, the Spudsters select:

Mfiondu Kabengele 6’10” 256 ( He’s ur big boy 👦)

Highlight below will be a part of practice daily for the Spudsters team. Zion needs his revenge after this! 😆 

• Like 3

With the final pick, the Spudsters are looking to round out a young roster that works hard with another hard worker and a high IQ player again recognized by Jerry West but not through the draft but via trade at the deadline. He’s just a gritty basketball player who understands situations and recognizes what to do in critical times without doing too much or too little. 

Without further adieu, With the 151st and final pick in the Squawk Dynasty Draft, the Spudsters select:

Landry Shamet PG/SG 6’5” 190

Spudsters 🥔 :

PG- Morant/Huerter/Shamet

SG- Luka/Smart/Okogie 

SF-Tatum/Ingram/Cam

PF-Zion/Sabonis/Samanic

C-Capela/Collins/Kabengele 

Coach: Lloyd Pierce

@JayBirdHawk you have the floor!

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Jay's CrapBirds final pick:   SG Danny Green