• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves/Nats on BSPN

Spud2nique

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Da-da.... Da-da... DAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAdaDAda....... (to be continued)

I’m looking forward to coming back to this thread in a few weeks when the Braves are back up 10 games.

Jinx no jinx  🤞🏽

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Much needed help on the way for Braves @Spud2nique  @Gray Mule

2-1 series wins vs Nats. We almost gave that one away with the sucky bullpen.

😂 love it. My Dodgers fan friend texted me on the road about this an hour ago and then said we are after the giants relievers as well. We trying to monopolize the market on bullpen help..specially from the aforementioned Dodgers.

HUGE!!!! I think we mean business for a young team we aren’t messing around and waiting. We going out and getting it, I dig!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, sturt said:

Wait. The Barves didn't add a starter?

Verrrrry eeeenteresstinnnng.

Honestly, Spud, does that surprise you like it surprises me?

Heard on local radio - asking price for starters were too high. Focused on fixing the lousy bullpen.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sturt said:

Wait. The Barves didn't add a starter?

Verrrrry eeeenteresstinnnng.

Honestly, Spud, does that surprise you like it surprises me?

What she said. Everything has a price must have been too high for our need but at least we fixed a few things here and there. We are very dangerous imo. I wouldn’t want to face us in the playoffs I’ll tell you that right now.

Phillies  - - 6.5

Nats - - 6.5

50 or so games left.

Braves already have some good starting pitching.  Last game against the Nats was a great example.  Starter threw a great game.  Bullpen blew the lead and the Braves were forced to go to 10th inning to secure the win.

Another recent game, Braves had a 11-1 lead.  Bullpen held on to win with the winning run in the on deck circle when they got the final out.

Asking price for starters was very high.  Look at how many thought to be available are still with their home team.  On the other hand, bullpen men changed teams at a rapid rate.  Braves were not the only team going there.

The Stripers, Braves AAA team, is currently in first place, southern division, with a nice lead.  They won last night.  Braves still have a great farm system.  They did not wreck it to get the needed relief pitching they desperately needed.

:clapping:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

What she said. Everything has a price must have been too high for our need but at least we fixed a few things here and there. We are very dangerous imo. I wouldn’t want to face us in the playoffs I’ll tell you that right now.

Phillies  - - 6.5

Nats - - 6.5

50 or so games left.

Not just being abrasive for the sake of being abrasive, but there is no one on that starting staff that is going scare anyone who's a playoff team.

I mean, long-term, it still may have been the smart play. But on paper and just for 2019, there aren't 3 guys there that seem likely to get you past the first playoff series.

And 6.5 out after the April/May we had... and without anything much dependable in our pen beyond our closer all this time, and with help arriving today... ???

I'll take it.

History says that 6.5 number can get wiped out in as little as 3-4 weeks.

And moreover, getting back to the starting rotation thing, I like our chances if we can merely sneak in as a WC. First guy is a first ballot HoFer whose stuff is as nasty as ever... second guy is a viable 2019 Cy Young candidate at this point... and third guy is arguably the best starting lefthander west of Chavez Ravine.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not just being abrasive for the sake of being abrasive, but there is no one on that starting staff that is going scare anyone who's a playoff team.

I mean, long-term, it still may have been the smart play. But on paper and just for 2019, there aren't 3 guys there that seem likely to get you past the first playoff series.

And 6.5 out after the April/May we had... and without anything much dependable in our pen beyond our closer all this time, and with help arriving today... ???

I'll take it.

And moreover, getting back to the starting rotation thing, I like our chances if we can merely sneak in as a WC. First guy is a first ballot HoFer whose stuff is as nasty as ever... second guy is a viable 2019 Cy Young candidate at this point... and third guy is arguably the best starting lefthander west of Chavez Ravine.

I’m sorry we ran out of hatorade for the day. Lemonade perhaps? 😉 

I see what ur saying but these young guys have poise. Soroka, I wouldn’t wanna face him at all. He is about to let the world know who he is this fall. Come and get some.

Having said that, I’d personally rather the Nationals sneak into the wildcard (forget the division we aren’t letting up) than the Giants. I have been a SF Giants hater since before Will Clark tried to take out Ozzie Smith in 87 or whenever it was. Will clark...Matt williams... Hated them with a capital H! Big daddy Rick Reuschel.. ugh just a fat out of shape guy throwin ugly pitches..disgusting. I will say players weren’t nearly as in shape as they are now, I mean the batters still juiced up then but not the fat pitchers.

17 minutes ago, sturt said:

History tends to repeat itself except in this case. 😂 

Spud:  My feelings about the Giants goes back a little further.  Being a Cleveland Indians fan and seeing the Giants win the World Series in '54.  They won all four games.  "The Catch" was made then on a long, long drive to dead center.  Then Dusty Rhodes hit a short popup behind third base for a home run for the Giants.

Indians won the World Series in '48 and didn't win another World Series game until they played the Braves.  Atlanta won the series but Cleveland wasn't swept.

:smug:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Spud:  My feelings about the Giants goes back a little further.  Being a Cleveland Indians fan and seeing the Giants win the World Series in '54.  They won all four games.  "The Catch" was made then on a long, long drive to dead center.  Then Dusty Rhodes hit a short popup behind third base for a home run for the Giants.

Indians won the World Series in '48 and didn't win another World Series game until they played the Braves.  Atlanta won the series but Cleveland wasn't swept.

:smug:

Wow 😮 that’s awesome Gramps. Geez, we should get together and hate the Giants together some day soon! 😊 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I really hope that there is a good pennant race, the problem with the Braves I felt in years past is they would clinch too early and lose competitive edge going into postseason.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I really hope that there is a good pennant race, the problem with the Braves I felt in years past is they would clinch too early and lose competitive edge going into postseason.

Exactly. Noticed in the last..well 30 years 😂 that teams that come on super strong just ride it. That’s why you had those wildcard teams go deep when the format first came out.

Personally I’m against that many teams making the playoffs tho. I’m an old school guy. I will admit it there was no excitement if your team was out early before but now it seems every team is in it till the end. I dunno it’s ok I guess.

Braves getting a little heat 🔥 down the stretch isn’t bad at all imo.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Exactly. Noticed in the last..well 30 years 😂 that teams that come on super strong just ride it. That’s why you had those wildcard teams go deep when the format first came out.

Personally I’m against that many teams making the playoffs tho. I’m an old school guy. I will admit it there was no excitement if your team was out early before but now it seems every team is in it till the end. I dunno it’s ok I guess.

Braves getting a little heat 🔥 down the stretch isn’t bad at all imo.

I think it was '93, the pennant chase with the Giants was crazy I think the Giants finished second with 103 wins!  Back when the Braves were still in NL West. This was probably the wildest pennant chase ever.  I think MLB was kind of hoping the Wild Card would boost attendance in more stadiums. I'm kind of old school myself but I think we will see not only the wild card continue but AL teams using DH on NL fields and a computerized strike zone within next 3-7 years... Braves announcers seem to have mostly bought in. Tradition be damned!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turnermx said:

think the Giants finished second with 103 wins!

I loved that year more than many even though we got ousted by Phat Kruk n Daulton n co. Wait that was 93 right? I think I enjoyed 91 and 92 more. It’s funny I lost TBS and I think cable in general. Luckily my friend lived in these apartments and let me use his key 🔑...ok I had a copy 😆 and I’d watch the games there and shoot pool 🎱 a bit. We got beat by the Jays that year but I enjoyed the Sid Bream slide ahead of the Bonds throw ...barely lol I hated Sid lol. I was like hustleeeeee I know he had almost no knees though so. Good times. Let’s make more memories this year. 😉 

• Like 1