• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sophmore expectations....Trae Young

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Prepares for bad 15ft mid range fading away off of one foot and the other foot in the sky

Kobe did a lot of that.  He would rank very low on the list of mentors for Trae in my book.  

But Trae has been in touch with plenty of other former stars so hopefully he is just adding useful pieces to his already mature "book" and not looking for Kobe to help redefine his game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I was never a Kobe fan but Trae seems like the kind of guy who picks the brains of everyone he can.  Hopefully he'll take the right lessons away.

Kobe was a gym rat and one of the most physical shooting guards in the game. Nash was a gym rat also. These are high quality players he is seeking out. It is all about the work ethic.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Kobe was a gym rat and one of the most physical shooting guards in the game. Nash was a gym rat also. These are high quality players he is seeking out. It is all about the work ethic.

My questions about Kobe weren't about work ethic.  He absolutely was a gym rat and very hard worker.  I do think he had questionable shot selection and ego issues.  But maybe the ego is what made him a great player at the end of the day.  In either case, being a student of the game and hard worker are lessons I'm happy to have Trae absorb.  

I don't want to see Trae shooting 28% of his attempts as long 2's like Kobe did (at a 40% rate for his career).

I also don't want to see Trae run Collins off if Collins becomes a superstar in his own right.  (Kobe could have probably added some more rings if he didn't do this.)

Most of all, I don't want to see Trae play hero ball like Kobe did.  Kobe hit a lot of game winners primarily because he forced a lot of shots with the game on the line.  From 2000-2012 (i.e., his prime of age 22-33), Kobe shot 39.7% from the field and 28% from 3pt range on clutch shots.  (That was a worse efg% than everyone in the top 10).  He also iso'd more than everyone but Dwyane Wade and Steve Nash (actually Steve was not in the top 10, he was #11 and had a great efg%) who both shot many fewer  and did a lot more playmaking.

I think Trae will be much more oriented around finding the best shots for the team rather than having to be the one taking them.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, AHF said:

My questions about Kobe weren't about work ethic.  He absolutely was a gym rat and very hard worker.  I do think he had questionable shot selection and ego issues.  But maybe the ego is what made him a great player at the end of the day.  In either case, being a student of the game and hard worker are lessons I'm happy to have Trae absorb.  

I don't want to see Trae shooting 28% of his attempts as long 2's like Kobe did (at a 40% rate for his career).

I also don't want to see Trae run Collins off if Collins becomes a superstar in his own right.  (Kobe could have probably added some more rings if he didn't do this.)

Don't you think you are being a little hard on a 5 time NBA champion?

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Don't you think you are being a little hard on a 5 time NBA champion?

No.  I 100% stand by all of these criticisms.  

As an aside, Shaq was the #1 on the majority of those championships which doesn't take away from Kobe's outstanding career.  But I think he could have had more rings had he not run Shaq off (Shaq immediately won with Wade) and could have had a better overall career if he didn't fall into the habit of shooting so many deep 2's and forcing so many hero ball shots.

(As an aside, you can find posts from me going back 10 years being critical of Kobe for these things so I'm not just talking with the benefit of hindsight.  It was obvious in real time as well, IMO.  These flaws don't mean that Kobe isn't an all-time great.  They just push him completely out of a lot of "greatest" types of discussions like 10 greatest players in NBA history or greatest starting 5, etc.)