• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vince is Back!

Jody23

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't know where we would be without Vince Carter on this team this year.  He has saved this season for us...We'd probably be tied for last place in the Eastern conference and have the 2nd worst record in the NBA without him!  Oh wait!:shok:

Remember when we signed Vince late in FA? Should be a hint for his importance to the team - ie another coach on the floor.  Nobody expected impact.

Remember when we passed on big impact players to sign him?  Hint, we didn’t.  It was an independent decision to sign him from the decision not to go big in FA.

Let’s not pretend like anyone ever saw him being someone who was going to save our season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Per 36 minutes . . . Vince Carter vs Bruno Fernando

Vince

• 12.8 ppg
  • 4.5 rebs
  • 2.2 asst
  • 0.8 stls
  • 0.7 blks
  • 1.5 TOs
  • 36% FG ( on 13.1 attempts )
  • 29% 3FG ( on  8.8 attempts )
  • 70% FT ( on 1 attempt )

• 93 Off Rtg ( basketball-reference )
  • 117 Def Rtg ( basketball-reference )
  • 7.0 PER
  • - 0.030 WS/48
  • - 8.8 On court ( 7th on the team )
  • +3.9 On/Off court ( 7th on the team )

Bruno

• 12.4 ppg
  • 8.9 rebs
  • 3.3 asst
  • 0.7 stls
  • 1.1 blks
  • 2.8 TOs
  • 53% FG ( on 9.4 attempts )
  • 25% 3FG ( on 2.9 attempts )
  • 64% FT ( on 3 attempts )

• 108 Off Rtg ( basketball-reference )
  • 115 Def Rtg ( basketball-reference )
  • 13.0 PER
  • 0.054 WS/48
  • - 6.5 On court ( 4th on the team )
  • + 4.2 On/Off court ( 4th on the team )
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 12/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, Peoriabird said:

Yeah you're right, the Bulls and Nets are contenders this year.

Let me see if I can follow this.  You made fun of people for claiming that Vince was the savior to this season.  I pointed out that Vince was never seen as being the team's savior or even a significant part of the rotation.  Instead, I pointed out that Huert and JC's absences were much drags on our team because they were counted on as our 2nd and 3rd best players this season.

Then  you try to support the idea that Vince was always supposed to be the team's savior and his bad play is the reason for the lack of success by pointing out that we lost to the 14-12 Nets and 10-18 Bulls neither of whom is a contender?

I guess I'd say that we were expected to not be very good when fully healthy so losing to a team that has a winning record and was expected to make the playoffs like the Nets is not a shock.  Remember that Schlenk has said he projected the team for 30-31 wins if healthy.  A team like that could lose to anyone on a given night but especially when 2 of our best 3 players are missing or on minute restrictions, with JC being the more significant of the two.  I said in the other thread on JC's return not righting this ship that his return will make a huge difference for this team even if they aren't expected to be a .500 squad even with him.  He has missed all the games against the Bulls and Nets so our struggling in those games doesn't shock me.  

So us losing to the Nets or Bulls or anyone else isn't going to convince me that Vince was expected to be our savior.  He is a 43 year old vet who was here for player development and limited role player minutes.  

On 12/15/2019 at 9:25 AM, Spud2nique said:

U lost, change ur avatar.

Yep.  Reneging on a bet is bad form.  

that-moment-when-you-realize-you-lost-th

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

Frustration in the locker room has been building for some time as teammates have complained to each other about selfishness, not putting in the necessary work to turn things around and players not being held accountable, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A true vocal leader who commands the respect of his peers is missing from the roster, sources said.

Interesting!

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Frustration in the locker room has been building for some time as teammates have complained to each other about selfishness, not putting in the necessary work to turn things around and players not being held accountable, sources told Yahoo Sports.

A true vocal leader who commands the respect of his peers is missing from the roster, sources said.

Interesting!

Atlanta’s locker room does have Vince Carter as a vocal leader but, at this stage, he is not an impactful on-court presence. The Haynes report indicates, from sources, that “a true vocal leader who commands the respect of his peers is missing from the roster.”

Well

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Offensively we let the ball move and find the open guy, and everybody probably expected John [Collins] to be our go-to guy. We just felt like the ball needed to move and we’d feature him when he needed to be featured. He didn’t score a lot of points, but his presence offensively and defensively was outstanding because some of his pick-and-rolls to the basket allowed Brandon Goodwin to have a special night. So that’s what it’s all about, just making sure the ball finds the open guy in the right situation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Carter has no regrets, however. Not about spending his final season with a sub .500 team. Not about retiring without a title. There is one thing: Missing out on a chance to play in Toronto one last time. The Hawks were scheduled to travel to Toronto on April 10, which would have given Carter an opportunity to say goodbye to a city that loved him, hated him and eventually re-embraced him.

Mannix: I'm sure at some point in recent years, the opportunity would have come up for you to just kind of ring chase towards the end. You never seemed to pursue that. I'm just wondering why.

Carter: It just wasn't my thing. It's just something that I wasn't interested in doing. I mean to be a part of a team where I feel like I can help out, and play some minutes, is what I wanted to do. I just wanted to play. You know? Yes I could lend my wisdom, and be an unbelievable mentor for guy. But sometimes showing is better than telling. You know? What you're talking about in game situations, or positioning. Whatever the case may be. So it was just kind of one of those things that I just didn't want to do, and I don't think I could handle. I would be miserable as a player. Just because I love competing. I mean, anybody who watches me play, I can't just sit down and just watch the game.

I'm walking the sidelines like I'm a freaking coach sometimes. It's just because I love it. I love helping these guys. But being a part of it as well as far as performing. So it was just something I wasn't interested in, and maybe I missed on an opportunity to even be in the NBA Finals or whatever the case may be. Because I had some teams that were offering the opportunities. Just, like they were saying, "We can't guarantee." And I don't expect anyone to guarantee me minutes. But to say "We don't think there's any minutes, but you would help our team as far as just wisdom." You know? And that's just something I didn't want to do at that point.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...