• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - PnR

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I think I posted this before but the next step in JC's evolution will be handling the ball and become more of a play maker out the PnR when teams guard against the easy Lobs. We saw him.do it in limited fashion last season.

I would like to see soke ofvevolutuon to Blake Griffins playmaking ability.

I wonder if Pierce is gonna be calling plays for him this season, since he said he didn't last year.

• Moderators

I hope the fadeaway jumpers that Collins takes are like that - with the clock winding down, limited options given the space and defensive positioning, and no quick options off a pass.  Never want to see him become like Kobe and make that a go-to inefficient move.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I hope the fadeaway jumpers that Collins takes are like that - with the clock winding down, limited options given the space and defensive positioning, and no quick options off a pass.  Never want to see him become like Kobe and make that a go-to inefficient move.

That's exactly what Collind said 'late in the shot clock'

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's exactly what Collind said 'late in the shot clock'

Late in the clock is not my only criteria, though, because I've seen wayyyyyy too many bad fade-away jumpers taken late in the clock as a deliberate choice.  Think of how many "hero-ball" plays you've seen where someone dribbles down the clock, shakes once or twice and then launches into a low % fade-away jumper. 

I only want to see that shot when it is a last resort.

With our game there probably won't be too many last minute fadeaway shots anyway. Certainly don't expect those kind of plays to be our highlights and I do expect tons of highlights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Collins told the media Wednesday that he was measured at 6-8.5, which is actually a quarter-inch taller than what he measured at the combine, unbeknownst to him. The Hawks have listed Collins as 6-10, which isn’t far off, considering the official heights the teams have to submit are taken without shoes, and, obviously, no one is playing without shoes on.

“I’m going into the guard heights and small forward heights,” Collins joked.

For his part, Collins’ lack of height at the power forward position hasn’t limited his offensive abilities...

“I want to solidify myself as one of the new generation’s positionless big men in the league,” Collins said. “I want (the coaches) to say, ‘John can do whatever you need him to do and whether that’s facilitating, playmaking, block shots and play (defense).’ I want to be the new era, new style of bigs who can switch onto guards, shoot 3s, catch lobs and dunk. I want to be able to do it all. I just don’t want to see a limit on my game, and that’s how I want people to describe me as.”

It’s a lofty goal for Collins to have, but head coach Lloyd Pierce has stressed there are no limitations.........experiment with putting the ball in Collins' hands.......one of the best rebounding big men in the league, so if the Hawks can take advantage of his athleticism and speed on the break, they will experiment with him bringing the ball up the floor as a facilitator.

“If John is able to get a rebound and push, we’ll be able to create and start our break earlier,” Pierce said. “Those are opportunities we’re looking for him to do it. 

Collins worked heavily on his ballhandling and dribble work where he would come off screens and hit a pull-up jumper or a 3-pointer. A lot of his time was focused on handling the ball and creating his own shots, which Pierce says he might have to do this season. The league already knows Collins and Young have established themselves as one of the best pick-and-roll duos. Teams are going to scheme to try to take away Collins’ ability to roll to the rim off screens and will be more alert of him picking and popping and shooting 3s. So the next step of his progression is, naturally, creating plays for others on the floor if he doesn’t have a shot or can’t roll on the play.

This is the next evolution of Collins’ game and one that he’s looking forward to accomplishing.

“It’s my need to feel like I’m not being left behind,” Collins said for why he wants to become more of a playmaker. “Where the league is going, it’s very perimeter-oriented, especially for a guy my size. I’m not super tall or taller than average for my position, and I don’t have longer arms, so for me that area is super important to just be as versatile as possible. That’s my goal to just be as versatile as possible and try to be in a position where Coach can’t ever take me off the court. That’s my goal.”

Pierce said Collins’ role on the floor won’t change regardless of who’s on the floor with him at the center.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do people keep trying to make John into a Center?

He can't defend the perimeter. He defends the paint better but he doesn't post defend well either. To be honest, I am more worried about him defensively than Trae. The effort won't be just enough for him. He has to be protected. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He can't defend the perimeter. He defends the paint better but he doesn't post defend well either. To be honest, I am more worried about him defensively than Trae. The effort won't be just enough for him. He has to be protected. 

I rather have a poor defender defending a lower percentage shot rather than fouling out trying to defend a higher percentage shot.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The last sentence

You read it wrong! But I understand why.

Pierce said Collins’ role on the floor won’t change regardless of who’s on the floor with him at the center....

Meaning wether it was Len or Jones playing center next to Collins!

I'll try and post that portion for clarity.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The last sentence

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You read it wrong! But I understand why.

Pierce said Collins’ role on the floor won’t change regardless of who’s on the floor with him at the center....

Meaning wether it was Len or Jones playing center next to Collins!

I'll try and post that portion for clarity.

Here's Pierce's FULL comments:

Pierce said Collins’ role on the floor won’t change regardless of who’s on the floor with him at the center position. The last thing Pierce wants to do is to compromise Collins’ game for the sake of anyone else because of the effectiveness Collins had last season. The Hawks are still figuring out whether Alex Len or Damian Jones should be the best option next to Collins, and they’re trying to figure out whether Collins can play on the floor with Jabari Parker in a small-ball lineup.

Apologies for the confusion.