• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How serious of a playoff threat are we this season?

Wurider05

To make the playoffs we are a threat. To get past the 1st round, I'd say no threat. But given the makeup of our team, no one will take us lightly if we make the playoffs. We will have their attention at the opening tip off.

Sixers probably fear us more than the Bucks; but with our added length at the wing positions and hopefully better vet play, we can be more competitive with the Bucks this year.

• Like 3

So take a look at key losses vs key acquisitions. (end of year only).

Jaylen Adams -> Evan Turner (say what you want about Turner...he's a major upgrade over Adams).

Taurean Prince -> Allen Crabbe (wash)

Omari Spellman -> Damion Jones (IMHO wash but an argument can be made both ways)

Justin Anderson -> Deandre Hunter (Uhm...dunno but considering Anderson barely played...anything we get is a win)

Kent Bazemore -> Cam Reddish (Hardest grade here....Reddish could be amazing...I think he takes a few years but yah...could be a win and Baze was bad 2nd half last year)

Miles Plumlee -> Bruno Fernando (Same as above)

Dwayne Dedmon -> Chandler Parsons (Probably a loss unless Parsons returns to form

Random D Leaguer who played PF -> Jabari Parker (Mongo huge win)

2018 Young, Huerter, Collins vs 2019 versions -> should be minor upgrade.

Basically we are really going to miss Dedmon but other than that its all upgrades or same. IMHO we mildly overachieved last year. Average this year would be 37ish wins but could top out as high 45 if everything went perfect...low as 30 if bad things happen. I'll be optimistic and say 41 wins and make the playoffs as the 7th seed.

• Like 4

YES!  As always, it all depends on our health.  Hawks have some players that have not been 100% healthy recently.  I believe all our returning Hawks are healthy but some of the new guys, not so much.

We do have one of the best health places and a outstanding head of that department. 

You have to stop and think about our roster.  We've changed so much since last season, we will be asking, "Who is that?"  Hopefully they are getting acquainted and will be ready to be a team, come opening tip off.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Even with full health, our front court isn't good enough to get to the playoffs. Most games will be shoot outs once again. It was obvious after the 1st week of free agency that Schlenk wasn't interested in winning enough games to get out of the lottery. The Carter signing was futher confirmation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

In the bible we read, "When I was a child, I thought as a child."

The Atlanta Hawks are a growing team.  Our GM did not plan to "Go for the gold" this season.  We're still in the young child part of our future.  But, we're not the small child that we were last season.  All parents will tell you how quickly their small children out grow their clothes and how, it seems, they change.

The Carter signing is proof that we are a growing team.  Consider our expected starting five.  How young they are.  They will grow.  Hawks didn't try to grab that necessary mature piece to help them gain the playoffs.

Expiring contracts guarantee Atlanta much $$$ payroll room to sign someone next season, should we decide they "fit" our team.  I don't expect any signing just to make a splash.

Hawks GM drafted with defense in mind.  Lloyd is a defensive minded coach.  I agree that we aren't a playoff championship team.  We have a long journey to arrive at that portal.  However, we are gaining on it.  No reason to believe that we can't possible slip into the bottom of the playoff picture.

:smug:

I said nothing about being a Championship team. I did indicate that Schlenk would prefer to be back in the lottery.  The front court isn't about experiance...Its about lack of talent. The Carter signing is for PR purposes only.

Yep.  I agree.  We're not championship talented, experience.  However, if we grow as expected, we have a very good chance of making the playoffs.  If we don't, so be it.  With another year's experience and some fine tuning, our future is bright!

:smug:

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I meant the Sixers fear us more than the Bucks fear us. I should have made that clearer.

That's why I gave the preemptive "sorry"!  

My take is that I think we are built for another developmental year and with that objective we will likely be back in the lottery in this era of more evenly weighted odds (i.e., hopes for a lucky top 4 pull).  To that end, Vince Carter is not just PR but is a part of the developmental structure being put around our youngsters.

If we overachieve and make the playoffs, it will be because our rookies came in strong and had a fast impact and our returning second and third year players kept getting better this season.  That type of organic improvement would be very exciting in every respect.  

So if we miss the playoffs, we'll have some nice picks and a lot of spending cash for a subpar FA field or for a trade.  If we make the playoffs, it will be because our young talent blossomed and we will still have the cash and trade assets.  That latter situation also represents a potential where we could become a target for players who want to team up on a new squad ala every big FA recently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Odds of us making the playoffs in Vegas’s opinion in quite low. You gotta put up $475 to win $100 if we don’t make the playoffs. You put up $100, we make the playoffs you win $350.

Hawks to make playoff odds:

Yes : +350

No:  -475

• Thanks 1