KEEPING ALL OF US REAL !!

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

The biggest problem I have is that this team was deliberately sabotaged by upper management.  Don't know who made the call but hopefully it wasn't Schlenk.  They knew we needed help in the front court but chose not to address the need at all in free agency when they clearly could have.  When your only 2 free agent signings are Jabari Parker and Vince Carter while being under the salary cap, you are not trying to win.  I can accept losing  in spite doing every thing possible to win but this isn't the case with the 2019-20 Hawks

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The biggest problem I have is that this team was deliberately sabotaged by upper management.  Don't know who made the call but hopefully it wasn't Schlenk.  They knew we needed help in the front court but chose not to address the need at all in free agency when they clearly could have.  When your only 2 free agent signings are Jabari Parker and Vince Carter while being under the salary cap, you are not trying to win.  I can accept losing  in spite doing every thing possible to win but this isn't the case with the 2019-20 Hawks

Who else would it be.

Schlenk has been bery clear about his intentions especially in how his approach to FA would be.

• Like 4

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Schlenk hasn't tried to win since he has been here.  I really hope it is him because he deserves to have the authority to make the call when we are ready to turn that corner.  I'm legit worried if he wants to spend all our FA money on competitive players and someone in ownership is overruling him and telling him to go slow because that is a dysfunctional way to run a franchise.  You hire your architect and let them see their vision through.  Fire them if you don't think they have the right vision but don't hamstring them and compromise their strategy.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

There wasn’t a realistic move that we could have made that would have made us championship contenders this year. The point isn’t spending money to only be a tough out in the first round. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Schlenk has been bery clear about his intentions especially in how his approach to FA would be.

Many weren't clear on this because I was challenged several times early in free agency when I accurately predicted that Schlenk had no plans on fixing the front court. Or at the very least improving the depth.  When I exposed the bargain basement approach to free agency, It enraged everyone so maybe some knew but not a whole lot of us knew.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

There wasn’t a realistic move that we could have made that would have made us championship contenders this year. The point isn’t spending money to only be a tough out in the first round. 

So we are the only smart ones while teams like golden state just waste its money on players like Willie Cauley Stein for 4.5 Mil while we sit back and say to them...you should have saved your money

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Schlenk hasn't tried to win since he has been here.  I really hope it is him because he deserves to have the authority to make the call when we are ready to turn that corner.  I'm legit worried if he wants to spend all our FA money on competitive players and someone in ownership is overruling him and telling him to go slow because that is a dysfunctional way to run a franchise.  You hire your architect and let them see their vision through.  Fire them if you don't think they have the right vision but don't hamstring them and compromise their strategy.

So who are we waiting for this time?  What lottery pick are we coveting now?  Trae/Huerter/Cam/Hunter/Collins ain't enough?  I'm not frustrated with you but with the organization.  I defended Schlenk while @KB21 lunched his 1 man assault.  Now I'm not so sure is wasn't right all along.  I see no reason to deliberately lose now...None!  We can easily finish building this team through the free agent market.  Losers accept losing period.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So we are the only smart ones while teams like golden state just waste its money on players like Willie Cauley Stein for 4.5 Mil we sit back and say to them...you should have saved your money

Apples to oranges.  They are over the cap with no ability to add big free agents so spending on a short-term deal for WCS is a no brainer.  More to the point, they are contenders fighting for rings.  Even this  year they have an MVP and a repeat AS in the lineup with some other talented players.  Someone like WCS who wants to play for a team that will have him definitely in the playoffs will find them attractive on a short-term deal like that.

We are at best shooting for a low playoffs seed and are in no sense contending.  

Schlenk seems to have made the decision to keep the money as dry powder for trades and big impact free agents while continuing to collect assets and develop our young players.  Those are all goals he has prioritized over winning right now.  

Golden State can't save dollars for the future and can't collect assets.  They have to win now.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Apples to oranges.  They are over the cap with no ability to add big free agents so spending on a short-term deal for WCS is a no brainer.  More to the point, they are contenders fighting for rings.  Even this  year they have an MVP and a repeat AS in the lineup with some other talented players.  Someone like WCS who wants to play for a team that will have him definitely in the playoffs will find them attractive on a short-term deal like that.

We are at best shooting for a low playoffs seed and are in no sense contending.  

Schlenk seems to have made the decision to keep the money as dry powder for trades and big impact free agents while continuing to collect assets and develop our young players.  Those are all goals he has prioritized over winning right now.  

Golden State can't save dollars for the future and can't collect assets.  They have to win now.

Man I thought we were going to shut that KB21 up by making the playoffs this year but in the end he may have the last laugh. Especially if we trade John Collins to avoid paying him too.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Man I thought we were going to shut that KB21 up by making the playoffs this year but in the end he may have the last laugh. Especially if we trade John Collins to avoid paying him too.

He already swung and missed so badly I can't see that happening.  I don't think we will be reluctant to keep our players or that we won't be eventually willing to spend.  My guess is that Schlenk will want to go in hard when he goes in - not to make incremental moves while our guys are still in the fairly early development phases (especially all our wings).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He already swung and missed so badly I can't see that happening.  I don't think we will be reluctant to keep our players or that we won't be eventually willing to spend.  My guess is that Schlenk will want to go in hard when he goes in - not to make incremental moves while our guys are still in the fairly early development phases (especially all our wings).

How does playing with inexperienced or less skilled players help with development.  For example, If Trae continues his wizardry and make great passes to say Bruno and he either drops them leading to turnovers or can't finish...Would that cause Trae to develop the bad habit of not looking for that options even when it is the obvious best choice?  I remember Denise once saying something about Howards hands which prompted him to be a little bit more selfish as a point guard.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So how do we win then if we can't even spend the money on a bargain basement center like Robin Lopez or Willy Cualey Stein?

We traded for a center.  Age 24, 7' and was a part time starting center last season.  Have we forgotten about Damian Jones?

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

We traded for a center.  Age 24, 7' and was a part time starting center last season.  Have we forgotten about Damian Jones?

The guy is sorry! What is it about you Hawk fans??? The guy has done absolutely nothing in the NBA but be tall but as soon as he become a Hawk, he suddenly transforms in the Hawk Savior. Meanwhile we just continue to lose and lose and nobody cares! Danien Jones was in a perfect situation in Golden State and not only did they prefer 3 centers over him but Spellman as well, a Hawk reject. Wake up guys! Our front court is a mess and Schlenk knows it. Trae and John will get the majority of the blame for the team's defensive woes which will be unfair to them but the main problem is no defensive center on the team period.

Well, we did trade for him.  So, you don't like him.  Fine.  I know nothing about him except I know that he is now a Hawk.  That doesn't make him better.  But, it doesn't necessarily make him total trash either.

If he is as good or bad as you believe, maybe they will buy him out or simply release him.  You are not a big fan of any of our centers, I believe.  Perhaps you are correct.  If so, we will all be ready to sign that great center for next season.  We expect to have enough $$$$ room. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

How does playing with inexperienced or less skilled players help with development.  For example, If Trae continues his wizardry and make great passes to say Bruno and he either drops them leading to turnovers or can't finish...Would that cause Trae to develop the bad habit of not looking for that options even when it is the obvious best choice?  I remember Denise once saying something about Howards hands which prompted him to be a little bit more selfish as a point guard.

Development phase for a team is:

1 - Lots of minutes to your young players,

2 - Trading players and using cap space to acquire additional picks,

3 - Losing so you get good young players with your own picks,

4 - Maintaining future cap flexibility so you can spend big when you are ready to transition from development phase to competing phase.

• Like 1