• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KEEPING ALL OF US REAL !!

Gray Mule

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, High5 said:

It seems clear that Schlenk is positioning the team for a big 2021. Until then he will sacrifice some wins in the name of development and keeping the books clean. You really should make peace with that. 

I'm not the person predicting 50 win or playoffs. Those are the posters who need to make peace with the decisions

I am one of those 44 wins guys at min. I don't see how people can't see how this team will win less than 44 wins if fairly healthy. Trae is just too impactful. He is a game changer. We got a lot of talent and it fits. Those things always have won ballgames in the NBA. Elite true PG's always equals wins in the RS.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am one of those 44 wins guys at min. I don't see how people can't see how this team will win less than 44 wins if fairly healthy. Trae is just too impactful. He is a game changer. We got a lot of talent and it fits. Those things always have won ballgames in the NBA. Elite true PG's always equals wins in the RS.

Because offense is for show, but defense and rebounding wins. The concern is that although we got better defensively on paper, most of those players play the same positions and will be backups.

As soon as they show the defensive improvement in switching, funneling and close outs, people will come around.

• Like 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Because offense is for show, but defense and rebounding wins. The concern is that although we got better defensively on paper, most of those players play the same positions and will be backups.

As soon as they show the defensive improvement in switching, funneling and close outs, people will come around.

Don’t agree with all of this but agree with your bottom line that people (on the Squawk and elsewhere) will buy in when we improve our D.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Don’t agree with all of this but agree with your bottom line that people (on the Squawk and elsewhere) will buy in when we improve our D.

I get that...the loss of Dedmon specifically calls into question if we took even more of a step back defensively.  But the few "defensive" players we got will be in heavy competition for minutes. Trae, John, Huerter getting better individually and as a unit defensively is more important for us taking a step forward than anything else.  Huerter adding weight in the off-season can only help. But imho, Young getting better defensively is the most important step that must happen for us to take that next step.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, thecampster said:

I get that...the loss of Dedmon specifically calls into question if we took even more of a step back defensively.  But the few "defensive" players we got will be in heavy competition for minutes. Trae, John, Huerter getting better individually and as a unit defensively is more important for us taking a step forward than anything else.  Huerter adding weight in the off-season can only help. But imho, Young getting better defensively is the most important step that must happen for us to take that next step.

What I disagreed about is offense being for show.  Offense has a much stronger correlation to playoff success than rebounding.  Here are your conference finalists with the NBA finalists denoted in bold with an *.

Your ECF / WCF teams were 1, 2*, 4, and 8* in points/gm last season and 1, 4, 11*, and 17* in trb/gm.

Your 2018 ECF / WCF teams were 1*, 2, 5* and 20 in ppg and 8, 17*, 18, and 23* in trb/gm.

Your 2017 ECF / WCF teams were 1*, 4*, 7, and 14 in ppg and 7*, 11, 12* and 26 in trb/gm.

Over those 3 years, NBA finalists averaged 3.5th best offense and the conference finalists average 5.8th best offense.

Over those 3 years, NBA finalists averaged 14.5th  best rebounding and the conference finalists average 12.9th best rebounding.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Speaking of Defense....

He might be able to offer some rim protection and defensive 'switchability' on the perimter in the PnR.

Offense though? Another animal.

We will never know the primary reasons the organization chose to move away from Spellman and to instead give Jones a test drive. Jones doesn’t have anything close the set of ball skills that Spellman possesses. The development of Alex Len last season as a shooter might suggest that the team thinks it can help Jones go down a similar development path this season, but Jones has struggled mightily at the free throw line to this point in his short career, which might temper expectations in this area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AHF said:

What I disagreed about is offense being for show.  Offense has a much stronger correlation to playoff success than rebounding.  Here are your conference finalists with the NBA finalists denoted in bold with an *.

Your ECF / WCF teams were 1, 2*, 4, and 8* in points/gm last season and 1, 4, 11*, and 17* in trb/gm.

Your 2018 ECF / WCF teams were 1*, 2, 5* and 20 in ppg and 8, 17*, 18, and 23* in trb/gm.

Your 2017 ECF / WCF teams were 1*, 4*, 7, and 14 in ppg and 7*, 11, 12* and 26 in trb/gm.

Over those 3 years, NBA finalists averaged 3.5th best offense and the conference finalists average 5.8th best offense.

Over those 3 years, NBA finalists averaged 14.5th  best rebounding and the conference finalists average 12.9th best rebounding.  

Very small sample...come on man...you're the king of calling out the small sample.

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2019 at 2:28 AM, NBASupes said:

Chemistry wins.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Very small sample...come on man...you're the king of calling out the small sample.

You can keep going back father and see the trend that offense is hugely meaningful in the playoffs.  Here are your NBA finalists with the winners in bold:

2016 #1, 8 offenses 

2015 #1, 8 offenses

2014 #6, 12 offenses

2013 #4, 5 offenses

2012 #3, 7 offenses

2011 #8, 11 offenses

2010 #12, 19 offenses

2009 #3, 10 offenses

2008 #4, 11 offenses

So for the last 12 years, you have NBA finalists with an average of the 6.4th best offense and NBA champions with a slightly better average of the 6.16th best offense.

To think that basically having the 6th best offense on average isn't meaningful is just shutting your eyes (although I agree that a 3 year sample doesn't make a compelling trend).  The worst PPG for an NBA champion has been 12th best in the league - not a single one has produced less than an above average offense.  

In contrast, you find mediocre to league worst rebounding teams in the mix over this same period at the average of a little less than 1 per season.  The correlation there is much weaker.

• Last year's Raptors at #17. 
  • 2018's #17 champs and #23 runner-up. 
  • 2015's #18 runner-up. 
  • 2014's #30 runner-up (yes, the worst rebounding team in the league made the NBA finals). 
  • 2013's #23 runner-up and #30 winner (yes, the worst rebounding team in the league won the title).
  • 2012's #21 champ.
  • 2011's #14 champ.
  • 2010's #29 runner-up.
  • 2008's #13 champ.

• Premium Member

I think I heard Schlenk say that free agents sign with teams because they want to win...This off season doesn't support such a belief.  I was all in last year but this I have to take a step back and see where Schlenk is going with this plan.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think I heard Schlenk say that free agents sign with teams because they want to win...This off season doesn't support such a belief.  I was all in last year but this I have to take a step back and see where Schlenk is going with this plan.

I think that is his pitch that we'll have more appeal to FAs as we start winning more games.  Last year we were a bottom 5 team so you wouldn't expect that to translate to big FA appeal (not that I think we were aggressively pursuing many people this offseason).

So I took that statement to be more of one for optimism for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1