Sign in to follow this  
NBASupes

The Hawks have one of the worst records in the last 20 yrs but made the playoffs a majority of the time

Recommended Posts

 

But have made the playoffs 11 times in the last 20 years. 

Of the bad teams, only Philly and Hawks have been to the playoffs more times than missed it. Philly -12, Hawks - 11

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

 

But have made the playoffs 11 times in the last 20 years. 

Of the bad teams, only Philly and Hawks have been to the playoffs more times than missed it. Philly -12, Hawks - 11

 

All that tells me is how bad the Hawks were for the previous years before the 10 straight playoff years.

#TerriBawfull

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

All that tells me is how bad the Hawks were for the previous years before the 10 straight playoff years.

#TerriBawfull

Not really, what stood out was outside of one awful year in 2004-2005, we been a balance year after year. We were either just there on the bad side or just there on the good side. We made the playoffs twice with losing records. Outside of our 60 win team and 13 win team. We been steady. 

Now the Sixers, my goodness, there should be in the .500 range if it wasn't for the process tankathon. They were mainly a winning franchise from Iverson's first playoff season till now. The process is when they were bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not really, what stood out was outside of one awful year in 2004-2005, we been a balance year after year. We were either just there on the bad side or just there on the good side. We made the playoffs twice with losing records. Outside of our 60 win team and 13 win team. We been steady. 

Now the Sixers, my goodness, there should be in the .500 range if it wasn't for the process tankathon. They were mainly a winning franchise from Iverson's first playoff season till now. The process is when they were bad.

Before our 10 year playoff streak , the most any Hawks team won for the previous 8 years was 35 games.  Very Lean years!  That's not balance when we aren't winning at least half our games.

28-54

25-57

33-49

35-48

28-54

13-69

26-56

30-52

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Before our 10 year playoff streak , the most any Hawks team won for the previous 8 years was 35 games.  Very Lean years!  That's not balance when we aren't winning at least half our games.

28-54

25-57

33-49

35-48

28-54

13-69

26-56

30-52

 

Once you loss more than 56 games, you are awful. 

The 26-32 win range is what I consider you have some positives but a lot of negatives. Upgrade in talent and personnel needed.

When you win 8-14 games, you are horrendous. Miles away from winning anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

It took us 8 years to get over blowing up the Dikembe - Mookie - Steve Smith team. That's insane. 

When you focus on the draft and can't draft for ****....you get those 8 years.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

It took us 8 years to get over blowing up the Dikembe - Mookie - Steve Smith team. That's insane. 

Bad drafting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bad drafting.

Weak drafting + weak classes + bad front office does that. 

Diaw was the best pick in this range

Chillz was a bad pick. Could have had Deng or Iggy

Josh Smith was far and away the best pick in this range.

Marvin was a supreme blunder. Deron or CP3 was available 

While the guys taken behind Shelden didn't set the world on fire due to a weak class, Shelden was an instant bust

Horford is still the best pick by the Atlanta Hawks without trade in franchise history. By far the best pick to this date. 

I loved Acie as a prospect and I too will hold my eggs on this one. Easy bust. Could have had Thad Young. We needed a PG and the only PG worth a damn went 4th.

No pick in 2008- Joe Johnson trade.

If we drafted CP3, signed Joe Johnson and landed Paul Millsap in 2006. We would have been in prime position to win the east for the next 6-7 years. 

The mistake of missing on CP3 crippled the franchise. Even with Josh Smith, we could have traded him for a good fit like Tyson Chandler or David West. CP3 had a top 5 season in the NBA as a rookie! Of course the NBA was weak af that year but still....

Edited by NBASupes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Available players during our non-playoff years (and this is just from picks we actually had at the time of the draft and doesn't include people like Amare Stoudamire who we couldn't draft only because we'd given the pick away for Lorenzen Wright):

1999 - 10 - Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest 17 & 20 - Andrei Kirilenko, Manu Ginobili

2000 - 6 - Hedu Turkoglu, Jamal Crawford, 40 - Michael Redd

2001 - 3 - Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson 27- Tony Parker, Jamaal Tinsley

2002 - 37 - Luis Scola, Matt Barnes

2003 - 21 - Boris Diaw (wait...), 37 - Kyle Korver, Zaza, Mo Williams

2004 - 6 - Iggy, Deng, Al Jefferson, 17 - Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, 34 - Trevor Ariza

2005 - 2 - Paul, Deron, 31 - Marcin Gortat, Lou Williams, Amir Johnson, Ilya, Monta Ellis

2006 - 5 - Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Roy, JJ Redick 33- Paul Millsap, PJ Tucker

2007 - 3 - Al Horford (yay!), 11 - Marc Gasol, Thaddeus Young

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Available players during our non-playoff years (and this is just from picks we actually had at the time of the draft and doesn't include people like Amare Stoudamire who we couldn't draft only because we'd given the pick away for Lorenzen Wright):

1999 - 10 - Jason Terry, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest 17 & 20 - Andrei Kirilenko, Manu Ginobili

2000 - 6 - Hedu Turkoglu, Jamal Crawford, 40 - Michael Redd

2001 - 3 - Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson 27- Tony Parker, Jamaal Tinsley

2002 - 37 - Luis Scola, Matt Barnes

2003 - 21 - Boris Diaw (wait...), 37 - Kyle Korver, Zaza, Mo Williams

2004 - 6 - Iggy, Deng, Al Jefferson, 17 - Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, 34 - Trevor Ariza

2005 - 2 - Paul, Deron, 31 - Marcin Gortat, Lou Williams, Amir Johnson, Ilya, Monta Ellis

2006 - 5 - Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Roy, JJ Redick 33- Paul Millsap, PJ Tucker

2007 - 3 - Al Horford (yay!), 11 - Marc Gasol, Thaddeus Young

 

Forgot Acie Law was the 11th pick in 2007... My brain was sure he had been a second round pick lol. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trading Pau Gasol was a lot more impactful to the slow growth of the franchise, than anyone will want to admit.  It would've been interesting to see the trek of the Hawks, had we'd kept Gasol.   

Despite Shareef playing well enough to make the All-Star team, the scoring he gave them wasn't efficient enough to elevate the Hawks to playoff level.  We simply needed more talent.  We got it in the offseason.

Despite that, the most disappointing team in Hawks history is still the "playoff guarantee" Hawks of 2002 - 2003.   Reef, Big Dog Robinson, and JT ( Jason Terry ) should've been good enough to at least get an 8 seed.  But that team was done by Christmas.

The disappointment of that team, led to the blow up that would eventually bring us JJ, Josh, and Al Horford.

We still would not have had Gasol if we didn’t make the trade.  My recollection is that we would have drafted Shane Battier who would not have given the same jolt to the franchise that Gasol could have done.  We didn’t actually draft Gasol and then trade him — we drafted him at the Grizzlies’ direction.  

Ironically, the best move Billy Knight ever made as a GM was ripping off the Hawks.  (I don’t put Horford here because he was the obvious, low risk pick and don’t put JJ here because we didn’t maximize our leverage and value with that trade).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My most bewildered moment of my Hawks career was when they traded away my boy Smitty and broke up the Jail Blazers so we could get.....Isaiah Rider and Jim Jackson?

I knew at that point we had no direction.  Smitty was on the decline but he was still solid and always a Hawk in my eyes.  Isaiah and Jim weren't going to bring us any wins.  Only thing we got was inefficient scoring.  Jason Terry was the lone bright spot that season, as I knew the Mookie/Smitty/Dikembe era had come to an end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CP3 error was worse than the SAR trade just based on CP3 being an all time great. Him and Joe would be looked at differently if they were teammates. I believe we would have went to the Finals at least 2 to 3 times 

 

We had

CP3

Chillz

Joe

Harrington

Zaza 

Smoove as the 6th man. Salim might still be in the NBA if he came up with that squad

 

Before someone says that's not great. Look at the era. Most teams at the time didn't have one superstar. Most didn't even have two stars. The competition just wasn't that good back then. If you had a good player like Harrington, an all star like Joe and a superstar like CP3, you had enough to win it all at that time. 

 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trading Pau Gasol was a lot more impactful to the slow growth of the franchise, than anyone will want to admit.  It would've been interesting to see the trek of the Hawks, had we'd kept Gasol.   

Despite Shareef playing well enough to make the All-Star team, the scoring he gave them wasn't efficient enough to elevate the Hawks to playoff level.  We simply needed more talent.  We got it in the offseason.

Despite that, the most disappointing team in Hawks history is still the "playoff guarantee" Hawks of 2002 - 2003.   Reef, Big Dog Robinson, and JT ( Jason Terry ) should've been good enough to at least get an 8 seed.  But that team was done by Christmas.

The disappointment of that team, led to the blow up that would eventually bring us JJ, Josh, and Al Horford.

Oh boy I remember that season. I was sure we were on our way to a top four seed again. That was the world before analytics lol. That season taught me avergaing 20ppg is the most overrated stat in basketball. Glen Robinson was TERRIBLE.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of those who weren't around back then, Glenn Robinson was the 90s version of Carmelo Anthony, but less talented and more turnover prone. But since analytics weren't really thing stupid people (like the Hawks front office) saw he averaged 20ppg for several seasons and assumed he was an all star caliber player lol. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If analytics was a thing, Deron and CP3 would have went 1-2 in the draft. We would have never traded Nique for Manning and we would have realized Mookie was our best player in the 90s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.