WOW !! ESPN has spoken

Gray Mule

• Moderators

12. Atlanta Hawks
Average wins:
Playoffs: 3%

Given the young Hawks won 29 games last season, this projection might be somewhat disappointing. The veterans that Atlanta added this summer, most notably Evan Turner, don't figure to help the team win, and lottery picks De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish also project as below-replacement players as rookies.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27388596/projected-w-l-records-standings-every-nba-team

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

ESPN has been wrong regarding Hawks projected win totals for as long as I can remember .

Truth.  Vegas will push the line off of their actual projection to get more people to bet on less popular teams so they lower their risk and ensure profits.  ESPN pushes the "media market" teams to get more views and bolster their profits.  In this case, it is a math exercise so I'm not as much about "bias" as about questioning the result.  We should capture ESPN's predictions and compare them against the Squawk predictions, CARMELO predictions, etc.

These are regular season only:

WEST

Houston 53.7 wins

Denver 53.3 wins

LAL 47.9 wins

LAC 47.8 wins

Utah 46.8 wins

GS 46.4 wins

Mavs 44.0 wins

Blazers 40.2 wins (what the....)

Kings 39.9 wins

Minny 39.5 wins

Spurs 38.6 wins (again, please let me bet on this...)

Pels 38.5 wins (kg is happy they are 12th maybe?)

Suns 38.0 wins

OKC 36.6 wins (seems really optimistic)

Memphis 31.9 wins

EAST

Bucks 50.7 wins

Sellts 47.2 wins

Philly 46.8 wins (hmmm....)

Magic 46.4 wins (ummmm...)

Toronto 45.5 wins

Miami 42.9 wins

Pacers 42.3 wins

Nyets 41.0 wins

Bulls 39.4 wins

Detroit 39.3 wins

Wiz 32.7 wins

Hawks 30.4 wins

Hornets 30.2 wins

Cavs 26.5 wins

Knicks 26.0 wins

This projects us as the #4 team in the lottery.  

I don't see the Wizards winning more games than us with Ish Smith as their Pg.
Pistons are overrated.  Who knows how many games Blake will play, and their starting
{Pg: Reggie Jackson ,  Sg: Luke Kennard,  and Sf: Tony Snell}  is pretty weak.
Celtics are overrated too. Let's see how good that Defense is gonna look with Kanter as their starting Center. 😄

• Like 1

I am lower on Dallas than most. I have them at 36 wins but that's based on KP just not being that guy which I don't believe he is as he is always hurt. If KP is healthy and can play 70 games or more, 44 wins is my exact projection which is on par with all of my other projections. 

Higher on Atlanta, Sacramento and Portland than most projections.

Most projections are higher on Toronto, Miami and Charlotte than I am

• Thanks 1

I agree with @AHF about it being a marketing tool. They are predicting the Hawks are worse off than the Wizards and The Bulls. Guess what? They are bigger markets. I am predicting 37 to 41 wins. One chases the 8th seed and the higher number could win it.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

BBALL INDEX's

Jacob Goldstein

31.2 wins this upcoming season. - - Seems that our "new" Hawk team has become the favorite "slap around" team in the NBA.

:diablo:

I guarantee 💯 % that they are wrong. 31.2? Decimal rounded numbers seem to never be correct in predicting a team’s win total in any sport.

😏 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Have we oversold ourselves?  We believe in our GM and we believe in what he's building.  We have observed how well his drafted players have preformed.  "He knows what he's doing" we keep telling ourselves.

Then, the criticizing begins.  Strangely enough, the player we here tend to ignore seems to be getting the most praise.  Crabbe is mentioned, over and over, as a great deal.  ???  Other players that were traded for all seem to fit into that ,"It doesn't matter.  They will make no difference."

Most all here believe in our three draft picks.  Yet, over and over, I read critical notes about all three.  First of all, Hunter cost too much.  That seems to be more about him than about his actual talent.  Personally, I believe that it was money and talent well spent.

Reddish is seen as mostly a steal.  Yet, because he wasn't a great star at Duke last winter, many feel that, although he eventually becomes a pretty good starter in the NBA, he will be just a very common wing.

Bruno they can live with since he was a second round pick and they don't expect a lot out of him.  Seemingly, everyone except most of us here, look on our center position as very weak.

Again, I ask.  Have we oversold ourselves?  Are we destined to be fighting to stay out of the basement in the east rather than striving for that last spot in the playoff standings?  Is it true that our returning core of young men will improve little, if at all?  Will the absence of Dedmon, Prince and Bazemore have such a negative effect on our Beloved Hawk team that they will not recover?

:blind:

• Like 1