• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeAndre Hunter only worked out for Hawks pre-draft, here's why

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Maybe that's why I'm not so hot on Hunter.   I watched some of those Slow paced games at UVA and said.. this is worst than Princeton.  He just seems like a technician but not a guy who can dominate a game.  I agree with Supes, he was a reach but I wonder if he wanted us for the Pace or the Money?

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Maybe that's why I'm not so hot on Hunter.    He just seems like a technician but not a guy who can dominate a game. 

Soooo Cam was historically bad at finishing around the rim with mediocre overall college numbers which were far worse than Hunter across the board even with Virginia's slow pace but Cam is Lebron???  Please help me understand your logic!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Soooo Cam was historically bad at finishing around the rim with mediocre overall college numbers which were far worse than Hunter across the board even with Virginia's slow pace but Cam is Lebron???  Please help me understand your logic!

When I watch what both can do Physically, I just see more it with Cam.  That's all.   Not that Cam is Lebron.   But I think he's closer than Hunter.  I look forward to Hunter proving me wrong. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Maybe that's why I'm not so hot on Hunter.   I watched some of those Slow paced games at UVA and said.. this is worst than Princeton.  He just seems like a technician but not a guy who can dominate a game.  I agree with Supes, he was a reach but I wonder if he wanted us for the Pace or the Money?

I didn't say he was a reach. I wanted him by all means. I said the article is a reach. Cam Reddish coaches calling him a Penny/T-Mac hybrid and Colson calling Hunter a 16-18ppg rookie just isn't accurate. We seen no sign of that type of play from him at UVA or in summer league. He might be a lot more skilled and gifted than the internet scouts thinks which I think he is but he more like Horford than Melo or Nique. He is NOT a dynamic scorer but that's not to take away from what he is.

A beast!

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Cam numbers really aren't that bad especially if you just take his numbers before the UNC game where he had the groin core issue which he has just recovered from medically which is a big deal. 

For someone to take so many high variance 3pts with range as well as didn't get a lot of clean transition looks. Cam situation is a lot better in the NBA than at Duke and his situation at Atlanta is perfect. It's like the marriage between Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs. Cam and the Hawks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
    Season School Conf G GS MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr PProd ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/40   OBPM DBPM BPM
    2018-19 Duke ACC 36 35 1069 13.6 .499 .459 .618 .264 447 2.0 10.7 6.5 10.7 2.9 1.9 16.5 25.3   0.8 2.2 3.0 .113   2.0 2.7 4.7
    Career Duke   36 35 1069 13.6 .499 .459 .618 .264 447 2.0 10.7 6.5 10.7 2.9 1.9 16.5 25.3   0.8 2.2 3.0 .113   2.0 2.7

•  
    Season School Conf G GS MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr PProd ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/40   OBPM DBPM BPM
    2017-18 Virginia ACC 33 0 657 23.5 .584 .538 .258 .460 290 7.5 15.0 11.3 11.8 1.9 2.7 10.7 25.7   2.0 1.7 3.7 .227   4.7 4.4 9.1
    2018-19 Virginia ACC 38 38 1234 24.3 .618 .579 .266 .398 541 5.6 13.4 9.8 13.0 1.2 2.4 10.0 24.1   4.8 2.6 7.3 .237   7.3 3.6 10.9
    Career Virginia   71 38 1891 24.0 .606 .564 .264 .420 831 6.3 14.0 10.3 12.6 1.4 2.5 10.2 24.7   6.8 4.2 11.0 .234   6.4 3.9 10.2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Aint nothing good about Reddish's stats except his steal rate.  So why does he get so much love and Hunter so much doubt?

Cam numbers really aren't that bad especially if you just take his numbers before the UNC game where he had the groin core issue which he has just recovered from medically which is a big deal. 

Projected 3pt%: 39% which is on par with Klay Thompson as one of the high end projected 3pt percentages which does translate. 

Elite High volume - 10.2 3s per36.

To find a 1st rounder with this type of 3pt shooting volume, you have to go 2009, 10 years ago with Steph Curry who shoot 10.6 per36. For a freshman, this is generational. We do not have data that shows us a 1st rounder with this volume as a freshman other than Trae Young.

Edit: Trae shot 10.4 as well per36

For a freshman, he breaks the typical 3/D archetype. 

His steals rate was elite for any wing especially a freshman. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190214192729/http://www.tankathon.com/players/cam-reddish

The tape speaks volumes as well. He has the tools and ability to rebound well, his EYBL proves it but his role at Duke was to track back. He was playing with positional elite rebounders like Zion, R.J. and Tre. Bolden is a very good rebounder as well. He just wasn't in the role for that. Doesn't mean he can as he averaged 6-7 rpg at EYBL. 

80% of his shots were jumpers which explain the lower FG%. He didn't get many open looks or easy transition attempts and just wasn't a top 3-4 option on his team offensively speaking. He was miscasted not to mention the lack of space hurt a space monster like Reddish. Just the facts. 

He will be elite here. Count on it. 

Edited by NBASupes
    • Like 2

• Premium Member
    9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Projected 3pt%: 39% which is on par with Klay Thompson as one of the high end projected 3pt percentages which does translate. 

So if Cam somehow projects to be a 39% shooter from 3 in the NBA after shooting 33% from 3 in college, What percentage will Hunter shoot in the NBA after shooting 44% from 3 as a sophomore in college and 39% as a freshman?

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So if Cam somehow projects to be a 39% shooter from 3 in the NBA after shooting 33% from 3 in college, What percentage will Hunter shoot in the NBA after shooting 44% from 3 as a sophomore in college and 39% as a freshman?

Hunter projected 3pt% is 35.6%

http://www.tankathon.com/players/de-andre-hunter

If we go back to Feb 2019, his projected 3pt% was 35.1%

https://web.archive.org/web/20190201192723/http://www.tankathon.com/players/de-andre-hunter

This tends to be much more accurate than 3pt%. The most accurate I've seen is two things. 

1.  Does he shoot 3s with high end variance? 

2. Is the player an off ball player 

If those two things are true, expect his percent to be even higher in the NBA than it was at the previous level but not quite as good as his projected 3pt%. 

This is why Luka shoots threes at a much higher percentage than his data reads

http://www.tankathon.com/players/luka-doncic but not as good as his projected. 

If you notice, he shot more threes than his projected per36. Same for Donovan Mitchell who has the same profile. 

http://www.tankathon.com/players/donovan-mitchell

From his profile, it makes no sense why he wasn't a top 5 pick to me. 7.4 3s per36, high end variance 3pt shooter, projected 37.7% 3pt shooter. He was a monster with over 50% of his shots being 3s. That's tough! 

Some will compare it to Malik Monk and say Monk is clearly a better shooter but what they don't get is, does he shoot high end variance 3s. When he doesn't, then you got to look at, does he have the tools? Monk didn't. Even you ask, is he an off ball player. Monk is, I would say he can play off the ball. Not a movement guy but he can cut a little. Nothing good but decent. He lacked the most important thing you need to translate, shooting 3s with high end variance. 

Also system fit matters. Monk was in a great fit in UK while at Louisville, Mitchell was surrounded by guys who couldn't space the floor. 

http://www.tankathon.com/players/malik-monk

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So you based your opinion solely off of this 1 site?  And to be clear about this 3 point prediction...Are they trying to predict an average percentage for their career, 1st year percentage or 1 year career high percentage?

Obviously not, I watch the damn games.

This is not their stat, this stat is used in general by many data types. 

Career