• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young: 2nd year expectations

JayBirdHawk

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What say you Squawkers? 

Defense, Defense, Defense. All about his effort.

This article has some good points.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854314-trae-young-needs-to-become-a-stephen-curry-clone-but-not-how-you-think

It's more than effort, a lot of it is BBIQ, instincts and communication. These are things that can improve in time but Trae has to put the work in. He is 190 now. Let's see if it helps

• Like 1

• Premium Member

22/9 in raw stats. His defense and not shooting those crazy 40 foot three point shots will hopefully show major signs of improvement.

His passing is elite and ability to finish around the rim/run the P&R are excellent. I am very excited to see what he can do this year with more time in the summer to work on his game.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

24/12 36mpg and I just hope his defensive communication is good, he continues from the 2nd half of the season in shot contest from the perimeter and that he is more aggressive on D. Offensively, he will beast

12 assists per game? Does that even happen? That's a really, really high number.

23/10, better effort on D (Korver-esque) rising from horrible to just below average, raises 3-pointer to 35%, floater continues to develop into one of the best in the league, all-star.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Trae creates as much as anyone who's ever played the game. It's possible for Trae. 

It’s a bit of a stretch, but with Ice TrATL’s generational passing/lob skillz, the open 3-pointer prowess of Kev/Cam/Dre, the dunks of Oleksay, and the hops of J-Bap/Bruno/Mr. Jones, 12 apg is absolutely within the realm of possibility. There’d be no doubt of his all-star cred if/when that happens. Just might. I’m sticking with a more realistic yet still sensational 10 though...

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

I think he's going to struggle a bit early but by midseason he will pick it up.  I don't look for great jumps in his defense.  That is rare.  However, I think that Pierce will develop schemes to try to hid him and Collins. 

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Honestly with the pace of the game today and the lack of good backup PG options, if Trae gets 36 mins + it's not ridiculous. 10 is much more likely though.

Most of the seasons averaging 12 or more assists per game are held by Magic or John Stockton. It's a very high bar for sure. Weirdly, Isiah Thomas averaged 13.9 assists in 84-85, but no other season averaged more than 11.

3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Honestly with the pace of the game today and the lack of good backup PG options, if Trae gets 36 mins + it's not ridiculous. 10 is much more likely though.

No one has averaged 12 assists  in a season in a very long time. Believe John Stockton was the last to do it. Even Nash didn't do it, although he came close.

33 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

No one has averaged 12 assists  in a season in a very long time. Believe John Stockton was the last to do it. Even Nash didn't do it, although he came close.

Trae can, why? PnR dominate and a creating slasher. He could have had 10apg with ease if his wings could shoot outside of Kevin. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae can, why? PnR dominate and a creating slasher. He could have had 10apg with ease if his wings could shoot outside of Kevin. 

He can in theory. But it's really hard to average 12 apg. There are just going to be some nights where he only has 7 or 8. And for every 7 or 8 assist game (which is actually solid), he will need a 16 or 17 assist game to off set that to keep his average at 12. The math is very daunting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

He can in theory. But it's really hard to average 12 apg. There are just going to be some nights where he only has 7 or 8. And for every 7 or 8 assist game (which is actually solid), he will need a 16 or 17 assist game to off set that to keep his average at 12. The math is very daunting.

It is but not with Trae's style of play. The thing that usually prevents it is due to being extremely good and not playing the 4th QT like the Steph's of the world. The bigger one is MPG as well. 

• Moderators
On 9/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, bleachkit said:

Agree.  It would be great to see but a big outlier.  I like Trae as much or better than anyone to hit this mark but I'll take "no one averages 12 apg" over the field for sure.

• Like 2

As impossible as it may seem, the better our other scoring options become, it is possible to see him approach that number.

Trae can go one of 2 ways imo. He can grow as an efficient high volume scorer, play off the ball more and not rack up as many assists, or he could grow as a floor general and take less shots (still increasing his efficiency) and really take advantage of the talent around him and rack up volume assists which would help him approach that 12 apg.

Option A, become a 25+ppg 7-9 apg player

Option B, become a 20-24 ppg, 10-12 apg player

Thats kind of the way I see his career going. The more points the less assists. 25 and 10 being the optimum balance

• Like 2