• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Badly do we need a Center???

Diesel

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Here's another idea: Cody Zeller for an expiring and a second. He ain't flashy but he can defend, set screens, MAY be able to step out and shoot because he hits his free throws.

Can't stay healthy though - 33, 49 games last 2 years

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, NBASupes said:

Being a great fit for JC doesn't equal being a great fit in our system. I've said this for awhile with Trae and a player like Michael Porter Jr. Great offensive fit with Trae but not a system fit for how we play. On defense, we need a defender who can cover ground. Adams isn't that guy. We need an elite defensive communicator, Adams isn't that guy. 

Now to your point, he is a much better fit for us than Len but Len isn't a NBA level starter so he would be a better fit at center for everyone over Len.

Say what you want, I honestly felt Dedmon fit JC quite well. I think someone like Baynes would fill in nicely too. I don't see Adams filling in better for what we do than those two even if he is a better player. 

It's a change of subject but I agree with you on Dedmon.    When you say Defensive communicator, strong defender, and a guy that covers ground, I don't see Bayne being good at all.  Bayne was good for Horf.  Horf actually is a good defender who can take the pressure off of Bayne and make him look better.   JC and Bayne would be a tragedy. 

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's a change of subject but I agree with you on Dedmon.    When you say Defensive communicator, strong defender, and a guy that covers ground, I don't see Bayne being good at all.  Bayne was good for Horf.  Horf actually is a good defender who can take the pressure off of Bayne and make him look better.   JC and Bayne would be a tragedy

It wouldn't be close to the defensive tragedy we are currently seeing with Len and JC. 

• Premium Member

I went searching the 'new country' interwebs for trade ideas for a Center with the following up for grabs:

Hawks still have approximately $5 million in capspace.
Expiring contracts of Chandler Parsons $27 mil (perpetually injured, had something done to both knees in offseason, again), Evan Turner $18 mil (I don't think he's the answer at backup PG) and Allen Crabbe $17 mil (he's rehabbing from knee surgery so hasn't played in preseason).

Available picks - BKN 2020, lottery protected for 3 years, OKC 2022 lottery protected for 2022, then 2 2nds.

Parsons, Nets pick and OKC pick for Steven Adams

I'd do this.

Something around Crabbe/D. Jones/sweeteners for John Henson/Brandon Knight.

No sweetner needed, we are saving Cavs luxury tax payments of $9 mil

Hartenstein+2021/2023 2nds for Bembry?

Until we know more about Huerter's injury, I'd pass.

FVV + Ibaka for Expirings + Value
This may need to be after Raptors throw in towel, but Atlanta has youth and/or picks to throw their way.
Hawks also test drive FVV for purpose of liking him enough to make FA offer.

I can get behind this in some form. Hawks won't trade any of the core group of young players for upcoming FAs.

Steven Adams is still the best option. Huge culture plus, brings a relatively soft team a lot of toughness. Huge plus setting screens. Can iso and score in the post. No, he doesn't shoot the 3 (Albeit he is working on one) and cant switch at an elite level. But those guys are really hard to find.
Chandler Parsons + 2020 BRK FRP + 2022 OKC FRP for Steven Adams + 2020 CHI SRP + 2024 MEM SRP

I'd do this.

What say you Squawkers?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I went searching the 'new country' interwebs for trade ideas for a Center with the following up for grabs:

Hawks still have approximately $5 million in capspace.
Expiring contracts of Chandler Parsons $27 mil (perpetually injured, had something done to both knees in offseason, again), Evan Turner $18 mil (I don't think he's the answer at backup PG) and Allen Crabbe $17 mil (he's rehabbing from knee surgery so hasn't played in preseason).

Available picks - BKN 2020, lottery protected for 3 years, OKC 2022 lottery protected for 2022, then 2 2nds.

I'd do this.

No sweetner needed, we are saving Cavs luxury tax payments of $9 mil

Until we know more about Huerter's injury, I'd pass.

I can get behind this in some form. Hawks won't trade any of the core group of young players for upcoming FAs.

I'd do this.

What say you Squawkers?

I'm down for whatever gets a starting quality center on the roster. Watching Len miss a point blank dunk last night crushed my soul. Hawks really should have brought Dedmon back.

• Like 2

• Moderators

One misconception i think is that we, as fans, think this is our year to make the move into the playoffs.  Ownership isn't as concerned with that.   They'd be happy to make it but they aren't going to go searching around for vets to help the cause.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

One misconception i think is that we, as fans, think this is our year to make the move into the playoffs.  Ownership isn't as concerned with that.   They'd be happy to make it but they aren't going to go searching around for vets to help the cause.  

It's not just about making the Playoffs as much as fielding a "competitive" team. With what I've seen so far from the center position, I don't see how this Hawks team can be competitive with any team over .500. Len has to take advantage of this opportunity and be the guy we saw late last season. If he's not going to provide rim protection he's got to be able to hit that open three that Dedmon used to and finish at the rim on offense. Bricking wide open threes, missing dunks, and having rebounds literally bounce off his hands ain't gonna get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

It's not just about making the Playoffs as much as fielding a "competitive" team. With what I've seen so far from the center position, I don't see how this Hawks team can be competitive with any team over .500. Len has to take advantage of this opportunity and be the guy we saw late last season. If he's not going to provide rim protection he's got to be able to hit that open three that Dedmon used to and finish at the rim on offense. Bricking wide open threes, missing dunks, and having rebounds literally bounce off his hands ain't gonna get it. 

100% agree I just don’t understand the difference playing Len, Jones, or even Bruno at this point ! We are getting anything from any of them. 

I watched Adams the other night and he looks awesome. He may not be the best fit but I doubt we get the best fit center anyways...Adams would definitely fill in a number of weaknesses defensively, rebounding....offensively there’s obviously better choices than Adams but he is a good finisher and passer , I also like his bbiq as well on both ends.

16 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Adams and his toughness would be a perfect fit here ... 

I can’t stress that enough at that. Schlenk has been a very good gm up to this point but not making a move on fulfilling our need for a quality center is going to be his downfall.

i don’t even like to draft centers high because most are projects if not really all. 

I know us fans aren’t supposedly as smart as the front office folks but on this one I think it’s clear as day that Len, Jones, and Bruno (who isn’t ready yet, which is fair to him since he’s a rook)...this issue at center will hold this unit back from being able to make real progress or achievements that could be made this season in my opinion.

seriously it’s so horrible that I almost say the hell with it ! Let Bruno go out there and learn. We are struggling at that spot anyways so why waste development time.

....and just for the record I’m more than ok with Adams remaining contract! Let’s not act like we are a sudden attraction to quality free agents in the off season. I’d be looking to trade for Adams in a heartbeat if I were schlenk 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not searching for a Center for a playoff push, but rather for the continued development of our core players so Pierce can run his offense and defense the way he wants to.

#DevelopmentalOverWins.

If by the halfway point we are trending in the playoff direction, TS has said he takes no issue making a move to sure that up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not searching for a Center for a playoff push, but rather for the continued development of our core players so Pierce can run his offense and defense the way he wants to.

#DevelopmentalOverWins.

If by the halfway point we are trending in the playoff direction, TS has said he takes no issue making a move to sure that up.

This. Getting a center is so we can develop John the way we want

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

I can’t stress that enough at that. Schlenk has been a very good gm up to this point but not making a move on fulfilling our need for a quality center is going to be his downfall.

i don’t even like to draft centers high because most are projects if not really all. 

That's premature. He hasn't had a chance to fulfill ALL our needs based on where we are in our rebuild. Some patience is required.

1st order of business after the tear down - draft a cornerstone player - Trae, done.

2nd - defensive focus since we think we have our 1/2 offensive punch in Trae and JC - add athletic, long 2 way wing players and a project Center - done.

Next - focus on the Center position and rounding out the rest of the roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1