Diesel

How Badly do we need a Center???

Recommended Posts

I should pull up that free agent thread as vindication...I was saying the same things then that many of you are saying now!  Yeah winning is great and you should always strive to win as many games as possible but not even attempting to sign a serviceable center during the free agent period was just criminal!  Especially since there were so many available who are now languishing on other team's benches.  And don't give that Hog wash about a 6'8" Kevin Looney interest.  I'm talking about a real center with size and skill.  I can't believe that many hear actually thought that Golden State was given away a hidden gem and were quite content with our direction at center until you saw for your own eyes how inept they all are.  Yeah, I bad mouth Len when he got here and for good reason.  Yeah I bad mouth Jones when he got here but for good reason.  Yeah I lost faith in Bruno after summer league but for good reason.  We are trapped now and once again someone has pulled the wool over your eyes Hawks fans and you have bought it hook, line and sinker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's premature. He hasn't had a chance to fulfill ALL our needs based on where we are in our rebuild. Some patience is required.

1st order of business after the tear down - draft a cornerstone player - Trae, done.

2nd - defensive focus since we think we have our 1/2 offensive punch in Trae and JC - add athletic, long 2 way wing players and a project Center - done.

Next - focus on the Center position and rounding out the rest of the roster.

You gotta let me finish....it will be his down fall if he doesn’t address it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's premature. He hasn't had a chance to fulfill ALL our needs based on where we are in our rebuild. Some patience is required.

1st order of business after the tear down - draft a cornerstone player - Trae, done.

2nd - defensive focus since we think we have our 1/2 offensive punch in Trae and JC - add athletic, long 2 way wing players and a project Center - done.

Next - focus on the Center position and rounding out the rest of the roster.

Yep.  If this was the year we were going for a ring, TS should be in the cross-hairs.  But I think this is the year for developing the talent we've got and a final dip in the lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the evidence that TS made 'no attempt' to sign a better center?   This is a work in progress.  Getting desperate to address needs with bad fits / bad contracts is what kills teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Where's the evidence that TS made 'no attempt' to sign a better center?   This is a work in progress.  Getting desperate to address needs with bad fits / bad contracts is what kills teams.

That fact that we had the money and draft capital and we still don't have a starting center on the team.  Other team's back up centers are better than all of our centers.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That fact that we had the money and draft capital and we still don't have a starting center on the team.  Other team's back up centers are better than all of our centers.

That doesn't mean we could have had the center we wanted on an acceptable deal.  And it doesn't mean we didn't try.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, macdaddy said:

That doesn't mean we could have had the center we wanted on an acceptable deal.  And it doesn't mean we didn't try.   

O.K. I'll put it this way then...He didn't get the job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Cause he misjudged or misled about our current center personnel

Or just wasn't in that much of a hurry because he saw this year as one where our young guys take lumps and develop and didn't care so much about win total.  Like we would clearly be better with Dedmon back but he was signed for almost 50% more than  you said his fair market value was.  TS likely agreed with your original assessment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Or just wasn't in that much of a hurry because he saw this year as one where our young guys take lumps and develop and didn't care so much about win total.  Like we would clearly be better with Dedmon back but he was signed for almost 50% more than  you said his fair market value was.  TS likely agreed with your original assessment.

Its just not sound team building...You think Trae is going to have optimal options with Len, Jones or Bruno on the floor?  Building a team this way could lead to some bad habits on everyone's part because the floor dynamics changes with a none offensive threat at center and it also lead to more hero ball if Len drops enough passes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Len isn't going to shoot 0% in the regular season. He shot 41% from 3 in the 2nd half. That's probably more than we can hope for this season, but if he shot an average ~36% then that would be fine. He just needs to create space and convert the easy buckets. Obviously that's easier said than done for Len. He tried to dunk that one ball over Carter last night like he was placing some fine china on the top shelf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its just not sound team building...You think Trae is going to have optimal options with Len, Jones or Bruno on the floor?  Building a team this way could lead to some bad habits on everyone's part because the floor dynamic change with a none offensive threat at center and it also lead to more hero ball if Len drops enough passes.

It is better to be weak at a position than lock into a bad contract.  I don't disagree with you, however, that the center position sucks for 2019-20 and I would loved to have seen us get an upgrade like offer more for Ivica Zubac than the $6.5M that the LAC landed him for this year.  He would immediately be our best big and was signed to a deal that would make sense for us even with a chunk of money added onto it given his strong performance and young age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AHF said:

 I would loved to have seen us get an upgrade like offer more for Ivica Zubac than the $6.5M that the LAC landed him for this year. 

Or Robin Lopez for 1 year $4.7mil or Cauley Stein 2 mil or Christian Wood for 1.6 mil...The list goes on and on!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Or Robin Lopez for 1 year $4.7mil or Cauley Stein 2 mil or Christian Wood for 1.6 mil...The list goes on and on!

You're gonna be insufferable with this aren't you?

I'll give you RoLo, maybe, but I'm not gonna drag them for failing to get the guy to not sign to play with his brother.

Them other dudes aren't even as good as Len, certainly not the Wood guy.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

 

Them other dudes aren't even as good as Len, certainly not the Wood guy.

You must not have watched any of the Hawks preseason games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You must not have watched any of the Hawks preseason games

You must not have watched 3+ years of WCS bumblin, fumblin', stumblin' his way to the team who drafted him giving up on him.

You must not have watched Woods land on like 4 different teams in the last year+.

I agree we need frontcourt upgrades, I don't agree there were guaranteed better players available this offseason.

If you would've named guys like Giles (SAC via trade) or that guy from PHI (Norvell Pelle, I think), we would've been in agreement.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You must not have watched 3+ years of WCS bumblin, fumblin', stumblin' his way to the team who drafted him giving up on him.

You must not have watched Woods land on like 4 different teams in the last year+.

I agree we need frontcourt upgrades, I don't agree there were guaranteed better players available this offseason.

If you would've named guys like Giles (SAC via trade) or that guy from PHI (Norvell Pelle, I think), we would've been in agreement.

Maybe you should check out some Detroit box scores before drawing conclusion based on how many teams a players has been on. How many teams has Joe Johnson been on since that is your measure. Or your beloved Vince Carter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Maybe you should check out some Detroit box scores before drawing conclusion based on how many teams a players has been on. How many teams has Joe Johnson been on since that is your measure. Or your beloved Vince Carter

You have to be joking.

Don't just say things to try to make a point.   You're comparing aging former all-stars to a never-was like this Woods cat?  Are you suggesting he's Chauncey Billups or something?  C'mon, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.