Sign in to follow this  
Gray Mule

This is a very important time - - -

Youth won't doom this team...The flawed construction of this team will. Particularly the flawed front court.

42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Youth won't doom this team...The flawed construction of this team will. Particularly the flawed front court.

The Weak Foundation. Does anybody else remember that guy? Or was that on TATF? I don't know why, but this post reminded me of that guy.

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Why yall acting like we're in win now mode this year.

At least Trae, Huerter and John want to win!

“I mean, you think I’m going to say no?” Young smiled. “Of course I feel we can make the playoffs and I’ll try to do whatever I can to get us there.”

Collins added a bit of flesh to his more definitive answer, saying that any missing veteran leadership/experience can be found within their roster before going on to the Hawks have all of the talent they need to make the playoffs.

“I believe I have a chance to be an All-Star this year,” said Young speaking with Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. “I think if we win as many games as I feel like we can and at least be in playoff contention, I think I have a good chance. The more we win, the better my odds are of getting into the All-Star Game and that’s my main focus: winning. I know my numbers will be there. I’m not worried about my numbers. I feel like the way we play, the fast pace we play, my numbers will be there. For me, it’s all about winning. If we’re winning, I have a really good chance of being in that All-Star game.”

“Every year, every team wants to make the playoffs — that’s the goal for every team,” said Huerter. “For us to say it’s not our goal would be being naive to say and just untrue.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/10/11/20895366/atlanta-hawks-preseason-expectations-nba-playoffs-quotes-potential

• Like 4

Well, year 2 of rebuild is still too early, we added some pieces and they have to get used to NBA, still we have major holes, eveything normal forma rebuilding team, making playoffs on year 2 would be an unexpected sucesos, I still think we Will improve to 33-35 range

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would be disappointed if they didn't think like this. Most players want to win, but wanting to and making it actually happen are two different things.

I was just responding to the poster who thought that the team didn't want to win games.

• Like 2

Youth has little impact on wins and losses outside of the playoffs. How our players come together chemistry wise. While I do worry about the frontcourt pairing of Collins and Len, I still like this team for 44 wins. Maybe not 44 wins min but 44 wins. Low floor, high ceiling team like Denver in Jokic 2nd season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Well, year 2 of rebuild is still too early, we added some pieces and they have to get used to NBA, still we have major holes, eveything normal forma rebuilding team, making playoffs on year 2 would be an unexpected sucesos, I still think we Will improve to 33-35 range

This is year 3 of the rebuild, the season I’ve always predicted Hawks would sneak back into the playoffs almost by sheer force of rebuild momentum.

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I was just responding to the poster who thought that the team didn't want to win games.

I don't think @terrell was implying the players don't want to win games. I think he was stating that in the process of a rebuild we are currently NOT in our final construct and must realize that we are still short some pieces in our current construction. IMO some of those pieces will be gained as our current roster gains valuable playing time. Some of those pieces will be gained in the next few draft / trade windows. His call was for patience rather than panic. I am definitely on the board for being concerned about our Center situation (and have been since not resigning Dedmon), but I also trust that this will be resolved without a panicked trade during a season that is not (at least by me and others) a "win now" season. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, marco102 said:

I don't think the poster said the team didn't want to win any games.  He stated some fans are impatient about the rebuild due to their own internal expectations.  The posters expectations are we are not a playoff team this year. 

My expectations, I hope we show tremendous growth this year and I don't care if we are in the playoffs or not.  Just want to see growth, if we have better defensive and offensive ratings this year as compared to last year and still miss the playoffs, I'll be a happy camper.   We are very young and young teams generally don't make it, if we do, I'll be over the moon. 

Okay, I will learn to not reply until I have read an entire thread😂 Much better said than mine!!!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hazer said:

This is year 3 of the rebuild, the season I’ve always predicted Hawks would sneak back into the playoffs almost by sheer force of rebuild momentum.

Meh. The 1st year was Bud and players who are no longer here..And we didnt have a lottery pick...I still say year 2. lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

I don't think the poster said the team didn't want to win any games.  He stated some fans are impatient about the rebuild due to their own internal expectations.  The posters expectations are we are not a playoff team this year. 

My expectations, I hope we show tremendous growth this year and I don't care if we are in the playoffs or not.  Just want to see growth, if we have better defensive and offensive ratings this year as compared to last year and still miss the playoffs, I'll be a happy camper.   We are very young and young teams generally don't make it, if we do, I'll be over the moon. 

Yep......

2 hours ago, enrique said:

I don't think @terrell was implying the players don't want to win games. I think he was stating that in the process of a rebuild we are currently NOT in our final construct and must realize that we are still short some pieces in our current construction. IMO some of those pieces will be gained as our current roster gains valuable playing time. Some of those pieces will be gained in the next few draft / trade windows. His call was for patience rather than panic. I am definitely on the board for being concerned about our Center situation (and have been since not resigning Dedmon), but I also trust that this will be resolved without a panicked trade during a season that is not (at least by me and others) a "win now" season. 

Of course I wasnt....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, terrell said:

YOuth is always a factor in the NBA.......Flawed front court? Bruno could be a great find..Why yall acting like we're in win now mode this year. Hawks are at least a year and a FA or 2  away from contending for Playoffs imo. No patience at all anymore...lol

Progress my friend. 

The NBA is about winning.   Winning is what brings in FAs and winning is what makes your players want to stay. 

We can develop stars.  However, if Stars don't think we're trying to win or contend for anything they will be asking to be traded.   What happens if JC says... please trade me because I want to be on a winner or at least a team whoose mission is more than winning the lottery. 

Don't be Naive.... Our Guys are watching Guys like Philadelphia, Toronto, Dallas, and Denver.  They see teams that are just as young as they but these teams are progressing. 

7 hours ago, terrell said:

Meh. The 1st year was Bud and players who are no longer here..And we didnt have a lottery pick...I still say year 2. lol

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a899cb0f210903c3e7d2017-18 was Schlenk/Collins, Korver/Sap/Thabo/Hardaway/Scott we’re shipped out, Year 1 ☝️

Edited by hazer

25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Progress my friend. 

The NBA is about winning.   Winning is what brings in FAs and winning is what makes your players want to stay. 

We can develop stars.  However, if Stars don't think we're trying to win or contend for anything they will be asking to be traded.   What happens if JC says... please trade me because I want to be on a winner or at least a team whoose mission is more than winning the lottery. 

Don't be Naive.... Our Guys are watching Guys like Philadelphia, Toronto, Dallas, and Denver.  They see teams that are just as young as they but these teams are progressing. 

I appreciate the fact that we all want to win games. I think the threshold of how much potential talent do you jettison for a more proven talent is different for each person. Then we have to compare the ceiling of the newly constructed team with the ceiling of the team before the trade. It is not a guaranteed deal either way. 

If we believe our existing team (due to contractual obligations, age, and general demeanor) is at its highest peak, then we need to do anything possible to win now...even if that means we reduce the future in the process. I personally believe we are in the opposite spot. I think if we jettison the future so that we win 6-7 more games this season, we have been sadly short-sighted and will need to be in another rebuild shortly afterwards. 

• Like 3