• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game #3: Hawks at Heat 10/14/19

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We aren't running any good plays. We are playing vanilla sets. Almost like a NFL preseason football game. 

Miami was running real sets. 

I mean I get that we’re extra young and they just need some running up and down the court time. But it’s time to install the game plan and run it. 

• Like 1

We aren't playing the game like we would in the regular season. In the RS, we would put Len at the right corner, if Bam wanted to drop for Collins PnR, we would put him in a tough matchup. What we are doing is basic PnR actions, you can't free up Collins that way. It's too easy for Bam to sit on the roll and for the Leonard to recover. We need a better center. Len and Jones aren't covering our flaws. They making it worse but LP gotta protect them too

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, hazer said:

I mean I get that we’re extra young and they just need some running up and down the court time. But it’s time to install the game plan and run it. 

Its almost like the Dan Quinn approach to preseason...Lets surprise them in the 1st game of the regular season with our real stuff!... only to get blown out in the opener because nothing works!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We aren't running any good plays. We are playing vanilla sets. Almost like a NFL preseason football game. 

Miami was running real sets. 

Word is, thiscwas supposed to be a dress rehearsal. Why are we running vanilla sets if that's the case.

• Like 1

Smh there’s too much focus on cam late in this thread but Cam will be fine, he missed some wide open shots ....ok no worries he is rookie and still recovering from an recent injury and let’s face it ....cam can come in and hit all these shots and we’d still lose. 

as a matter of fact when Huerter returns we will witness just that!

but let’s get back to the real issue ....the Defense as a whole is bad but the interior defense is just flat out horrible and weak (and to me our biggest issue) ... once an opponent gets physical on us we crawl back into our shell!

Ya see even when we were down by 10 late in the second there was still some great urgency to get that lead down but the game had got a little more physical end of the second as well but we still are battling....then early in the 3rd Bam starts to get even more physical and take it to us even though he’s not making many shots he’s drawing fouls like Shaq out there. An once bam got going physically you see the frustration in our bigs especially collins

I feel horrible for collins cause he got placed on bam when our other centers (not named Bruno) and He gives up the most size among our bigs  .....it’s crazy to me to watch us continue to get beat by the same way but it is what it is 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Smh there’s too much focus on cam late in this thread but Cam will be fine, he missed some wide open shots ....ok no worries he is rookie and still recovering from an recent injury and let’s face it ....cam can come in and hit all these shots and we’d still lose. 

but let’s get back to the real issue ....the Defense as a whole is bad but the interior defense is just flat out horrible and weak (and to me our biggest issue) ... once an opponent gets physical on us we crawl back into our shell!

Ya see even when we were down by 10 late in the second there was still some great urgency to get that lead down but the game had got a little more physical end of the second as well but we still are battling....then early in the 3rd Bam starts to get even more physical and take it to us even though he’s not making many shots he’s drawing fouls like Shaq out there. An once bam got going physically you see the frustration in our bigs especially collins

I feel horrible for collins cause he got placed on bam when our other centers (not named Bruno) and He gives up the most size among our bigs  .....it’s crazy to me to watch us continue to get beat by the same way but it is what it is 

So what's the answer for our defensive woes? Is there an answer?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JTB said:

An once bam got going physically you see the frustration in our bigs especially collins

This is why it is an insane idea to have John at the 5.  I can't figure out for the life of me why this is an obsession with this team!  Dude was a 19/9 player just the way he was last year...Why change anything?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JTB said:

I agree, lets say we fix the spacing and shooting woes, we still got defensive communication issues, interior defense issues, transition defense issues and help defense issues. These issues aren't going away soon.

18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is why it is an insane idea to have John at the 5.  I can't figure out for the life of me why this is an obsession with this team!  Dude was a 19/9 player just the way he was last year...Why change anything?

Did it matter? They put Bam at the 4 and Leonard at the 5. The issue is that your 5 has to be a threat to make it easier for John.

Say what you want about John but he had a -2 in a 20 point blowout, he still played well and gave Miami fits with his movement. He looked much better this game than the first two as expected 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We aren't playing the game like we would in the regular season. In the RS, we would put Len at the right corner, if Bam wanted to drop for Collins PnR, we would put him in a tough matchup. What we are doing is basic PnR actions, you can't free up Collins that way. It's too easy for Bam to sit on the roll and for the Leonard to recover. We need a better center. Len and Jones aren't covering our flaws. They making it worse but LP gotta protect them too

Why are we not running sets?  It's not like we have anything to hide. This preseason ain't a good look.  It looks like  we havent practiced. Just playing street ball.  

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Did it matter? They put Bam at the 4 and Leonard at the 5. The issue is that your 5 has to be a threat to make it easier for John.

Say what you want about John but he had a -2 in a 20 point blowout, he still played well and gave Miami fits with his movement. He looked much better this game than the first two as expected 

They are trying to make John into a passer, they are trying make john into a shooter, They are trying to make John into a Center...Leave that dude along and let him do what he does best which is pick and roll with Trae Young.  Find someone else to do all that other stuff!

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Word is, thiscwas supposed to be a dress rehearsal. Why are we running vanilla sets if that's the case.

I think the word was this one or the one against the Knicks. I'm hoping this wasn't it and we see some better play against the Knicks.

Areas where we must improve on offense 

1. Spacing for Trae has been Oklahoma level. He has no room to operate and had to be a scorer only.

2. Spacing in general must improve. Only Cam and VC has spacing on the entire team today. Jones had some as well but that's expected.

3. Ball movement is too much. We are passing it like hot potato. We need to start drive and kicking if Trae is not there. We got way too much ball movement and it's all bad. 

4. We need chemistry which will come in time but it's critical for our record this year. 

5. Guys must master understanding spacing. Prince, Bazemore, Dedmon, and other vets we had really knew where to go when a player like Trae was attacking to space the floor. Outside of Cam and Kevin, our other guys seem to stand around as if they playing with James Harden. We gotta move. One thing I want to see from the rookie wings is that they need to cut more often if a player is getting double teammed. Stop ball watching and only moving to get space for yourself. Help the others. These are things the guys did last year we aren't doing this year. 

I miss BazeGaze, he was a dumbass in terms of decision making, a streaky shooter, shaky handles and he didn't always play good defense but he was always in the right position, he knew when to close out and when not to. His transition defense was good. He had an understanding of help side defense understanding the scouting report. I miss him. 

I miss Prince and Dedmon too

21 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Why are we not running sets?  It's not like we have anything to hide. This preseason ain't a good look.  It looks like  we havent practiced. Just playing street ball.  

We are running vanilla sets. We aren't good enough to win with these types of sets. We need to have maximum spacing. We don't have good enough shooters outside of Trae to really get away with that. 

Miami actually ran a couple of sets I seen them use last year when they had Wade for Herro. 

The one thing I can say is outside of Cam and Hunter, our perimeter man defense is TRASH. Dragic and many of the bench players for Miami were getting so many open looks while their starters had to work for it.

Edited by NBASupes