• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game #5: Hawks at Bulls 10/17/19

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I did not say that and you are now being intentionally obtuse.

Are you insinuating that Schlenk at any moment will Identify players he wants to build around and later say, I want to build around other players?  Than called treadmill building!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

What are you saying then because it isn't clear.

You'll have to go back and read my initial points as I've laid them out and see why we are where we are now.

I just can't anymore.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You'll have to go back and read my initial points as I've laid them out and see why we are where we are now.

I just can't anymore.

In my opinion, we have our core and we just need to build around it and I'll leave it at that.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Are you insinuating that Schlenk at any moment will Identify players he wants to build around and later say, I want to build around other players?  Than called treadmill building!

How long have you been watching basketball??? There is nothing static when it comes to drafting players with potential and hope they pan out. 

Horford, Marvin, Josh, Joe Teague - we loved our core for too long andcwe treadmilled forever.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

In my opinion, we have our core and we just need to build around it and I'll leave it at that.

You consider JC part of the core right? If Giannis decides he wants to be traded to the Hawks midseason and Bucks ask for JC and say Reddish plus picks.

So now our core is Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Giannis. 

What you make the trade and roll with this as our new core?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How long have you been watching basketball??? There is nothing static when it comes to drafting players with potential and hope they pan out. 

Horford, Marvin, Josh, Joe Teague - we loved our core for too long andcwe treadmilled forever.

You consider JC part of the core right? If Giannis decides he wants to be traded to the Hawks midseason and Bucks ask for JC and say Reddish plus picks.

So now our core is Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Giannis. 

What you make the trade and roll with this as our new core?

Still got some fight in you I see. I love that in a woman!!!!  If we make that trade, we would be trading away one of our core pieces.  That is how that trade would be defined.  Most teams don't trade away their core pieces unless they feel they are winning the trade or rebuilding.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Still got some fight in you I see. I love that in a woman!!!!  If we make that trade, we would be trading away one of our core pieces.  That is how that trade would be defined.  Most teams don't trade away their core pieces unless they feel they are winning the trade or rebuilding.

You didn't answer the question....do you make the trade? Which changes who your core pieces are now!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You didn't answer the question....do you make the trade? Which changes who your core pieces are now!

Sure because you win that trade but it doesn't change the fact that you considered John a core building block on your team prior to the offer.  Occasionally you'll see those types of trades but not often.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not all cores are great and whether or not your core is great depends on you GM.  But make no mistake about it.  Those players were the core of the Hawks until Ferry arrived

• Moderators

I love the circular logic of this conversation.

1 - We have drafted a bunch of young guys we should be excited about and will take at least a couple more draft picks to either add to that bunch or to trade for more talent.

2 - We should be done gathering draft assets because the GM said he considers the guys we drafted core and everyone knows you need to stop adding core players.

1 - You are saying we are done because the GM believes in his unproven draft picks but ignoring that the same GM thinks it is a good idea to acquire more draft assets?  Which can be used for trade or to add to a proven core (ala Kawhi) or to add role players or to upgrade to a star?

2 - We can't keep building the core.  The GM is wrong about that.  I'll cite his faith in his players on the one hand for the notion we are done building and then turn around and conclude he doesn't know what he is talking about in terms of his expressed desire to continue to acquire draft assets.  The Spurs, the Astros, the Patriots...all of them were morons to continue to invest heavily in the draft after they already had a core.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, AHF said:

1 - You are saying we are done because the GM believes in his unproven draft picks but ignoring that the same GM thinks it is a good idea to acquire more draft assets?  Which can be used for trade or to add to a proven core (ala Kawhi) or to add role players or to upgrade to a star?

I think you are talking to me so I'll try to unpack your false equivalence with the Spurs. The Spurs core stayed intact for a very long time until they got old plus not once have the Spurs taken on bad contract for draft picks.  They have tried to win every year and not tank for draft picks.  But if you think that the Spurs and the Hawks have used the same model then I don't know what to tell you.  The two approaches can't be any different.