• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game #5: Hawks at Bulls 10/17/19

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Bembry is becoming a net negative because of his lack of offense. 

He been that, not becoming. I knew when I seen that John/Cam was out/limited and heard the Bulls were window dressing that this was a L. 

• Like 1

I watched the Hawks "preview" on NBA TV earlier today.  Brendan Haywood & Earl Watson actually think the Hawks are a decent team.  Watson thinks the Hawks need a Backup Point guard.  Says Turner is more of a Walk the ball up the court PG.  Watson says the Hawks are a 2nd half season team That is when you will see the "Real" team come fruition. When it came time to guess whether the Hawks would win more than 34.5 games, Watson said he thinks they win around that number maybe a little bit more.  Haywood was more optimistic , he did not give a number but stated they win more than 35 games, he gave the impression that they could challenge for the 8th spot in the East.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I watched the Hawks "preview" on NBA TV earlier today.  Brendan Haywood & Earl Watson actually think the Hawks are a decent team.  Watson thinks the Hawks need a Backup Point guard.  Says Turner is more of a Walk the ball up the court PG.  Watson says the Hawks are a 2nd half season team That is when you will see the "Real" team come fruition. When it came time to guess whether the Hawks would win more than 34.5 games, Watson said he thinks they win around that number maybe a little bit more.  Haywood was more optimistic , he did not give a number but stated they win more than 35 games, he gave the impression that they could challenge for the 8th spot in the East.

We could of had  TJ McConnell for peanuts. At least he can run the point.

I am convinced if we can still close to .500 by December that one of these players will be moved with the Brooklyn pick for a starting 5:

Parsons

Turner

Jones

Just seeing how much shooting the Hawks need, Crabbe might stay for the rest of the year. 

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae is the best thing on this team...Attacks on other players on this team maybe justified but not the heart and soul of the team.  I guess Trae will continues to be underappreciated by a few Hawk fans.  This kid takes a beating every night and is up for the challenge every game.  We would be a 18 win team or less without him.

Hots has and will always have a bottle half empty ideals to the team. 

That said, Trae shot selection will always suck ass considering he isn't a lights out shooter like Steph Curry is due to his limited off ball movement skills. He is a very good shooter but for the level of control he has the ball and his size, he needs to be elite. 

The turnovers aren't bad in my eyes. Some of it can simply go away if Trae lets the game come to him which he did in the 2nd half of last season 

• Like 2

Being at the game last night, here are a few observations my son and I have ...

Len was unconvincing as a starting caliber center.  Hands of stone, no ability to get above the rim (which caused missed rebounds, despite the dozen or so he got which were mainly his own misses it seemed), no feel around the rim causing many missed easy shots, seemingly lost on defense.  Jones and Bruno were really no better.  How Bruno could be so ineffective on defense was confusing.  Lots of quickness and energy, but just scattered around the court without a clue.  He may just be raw and needs a LOT more time than I thought.  Jones was just a hulking presence who did little to impress.

Goodwin has lots of energy and speed as the backup point guard.  Unfortunately, despite getting a bunch of garbage points very late in the game, he was not an offensive presence at all.  Almost no assists because he picks up his dribble almost as soon as he crosses midcourt and hands the ball off to someone by the three point line.  He eventually started to penetrate into the lane more and looked good doing it.  Needed to establish that earlier so he may be a keeper.  He was, honestly, one of the better performers of the night.  

Bembry reminded me of prime Bazemore last night.  Tons of energy, excellent defensive efforts, talking on defense to his teammates constantly (as does Vince!), but the mania of activity didn't translate well into actual help in some ways, especially offensively.  

Trae was a joy to watch.  Gets everyone involved, talks professionally to the refs when appropriate, motivates his teammates on the floor to be ever alert for a pass (or a rebound!), and was effective defensively in many ways.  He is gonna' get the crap beat out of him this year, however, as there were two defenders on him the whole night before he even got to the half-court line each possession.  Poor guy is in for some beatings.  

Hunter is smooth, strong as hell, much better offensively than I had projected, and very aware of all around him defensively.  A real asset as the team continues the rebuild.  

Siebert looked smooth, shot well, active defensively.  Don't know if there is room for him on the roster, but he should be in the league for sure.  

Jabari was a beast inside.  Pretty much unstoppable.  He will fill it up on the second unit each night.  Nice acquisition.  

Evan Turner was a non-entity.  Did nothing to showcase his point guard abilities. Slow dribble up the court and hand it off to the first guy he sees.  Offensively he was not engaged much.  Seemed to have good veteran awareness on defense.  

That's all I got.  Fun night.  

P.S.  Gray Mule ... was thinking of you all night as we missed one free throw after another.  Especially when, toward the end of the game, a local hot dog place had a promotion that if the next Hawks player missed two free throws in a row, everyone got a free hot dog.  Lo and behold, Len steps to the line and clunks two in a row off the rim.  I was a bit happy.  Sorry fellow oldie!!

• Moderators

I'm definitely worried about our frontcourt.  Jones and Bruno don't seem ready to give us much.  If it wasn't a defensive liability I might start Parker / Collins at 4/5.   I think Len will be ok.  We're just going to have to really defend the perimeter well to keep guys from attacking the basket.   

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae is the best thing on this team...Attacks on other players on this team maybe justified but not the heart and soul of the team.  I guess Trae will continues to be underappreciated by a few Hawk fans.  This kid takes a beating every night and is up for the challenge every game.  We would be a 18 win team or less without him.

But is saying that Trae helps make this team a 25-28 win team as opposed to a 20 win team without him really the standard that you want to set?

The combo of Young/Collins is probably not going to win that much. Neither one is a Batman.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

But is saying that Trae helps make this team a 25-28 win team as opposed to a 20 win team without him really the standard that you want to set?

The combo of Young/Collins is probably not going to win that much. Neither one is a Batman.

I have them winning 34 games this year not because Trae young isn't good enough to help the team win more games but rather our Center position is horrible.  We don't have a starter grade Center on the team and the back ups aren't even NBA grade players.