• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Tucked away on the west side of the city sits the Factory, owned and operated by the Teagues, a family that boasts three Indiana All-Stars

Shawn Teague — along with his sons Jeff, an NBA All-Star, and Marquis, who plays for the NBA G League Memphis Hustle — opened The Factory in 2017. It’s a three-court basketball facility with areas for strength and agility training. Now more than ever, the 33,500-square-foot gym has come in clutch for the entire Indianapolis basketball community.

“We kind of felt like we had an advantage because we can still stay in shape. And we know a lot of people don’t have the opportunity, but people around here, we opened up the gym to our guys. It has been a blessing, man, just to have this,” said Marquis.

While most gyms around the globe were locked down because of coronavirus, the Hoosiers knew they could count on their big basketball family in Indiana. The Factory and the Teague family took all of the extra precautions, but they gave the local professional players a court to work on and some healthy competition if they were up for it.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/nba/nba-players-staying-sharp-at-indianapolis-gym/

Great Article by the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/1545973/2020/06/23/2019-20-nba-rookie-scale-rankings-no-4-atlanta-hawks/?source=dailyemail

1. Trae Young, G | 21 years old | Three years, $21.2 million. Last year team option

2019-20 stats: 29.6 points, 4.3 rebounds, 9.3 assists, 1.1 steals, 43.7/36.1/86.0

Simply put, Young has developed into one of the most creative offensive forces in the NBA, regardless of age. The individual numbers Young achieved in 2019-20 are pretty mind-boggling.

To complain about what he’s accomplished at this point would be missing the forest for the trees. And if you made me bet right now if Young will get into the Hall of Fame, I think I would say yes.

For me though, the most synonymous skill with Young is him being the most prolific floater in the NBA. This year, Young scored 280 points off of floaters, most in the NBA. 

Young is one of the elite offensive driving forces in the NBA, as evidenced by the Hawks averaging 112.6 points per 100 possessions when he’s on the floor, which would be tied for sixth in the NBA despite him playing on the second-youngest roster in the league. Young is one of the best building blocks in the league currently on a rookie scale deal.

2. John Collins, F | 22 years old | Two years, $6.8 million

2019-20 stats: 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.6 blocks, 58.3/40.1/80.0

Collins is 22 and he’s coming off of a season in which he averaged 21.6 points and 10.1 rebounds on an obscene 65.9 true-shooting percentage. Similar to Young, his productivity has been genuinely special for his age. The list of players to have done what Collins did this year isn’t exactly long. It’s Collins and Charles Barkley.

There is a case to be made that he’s one of the absolute most lethal weapons out of ball screens in the NBA right now. In the halfcourt, he finished 17th in the league out of the 183 players to attempt at least 100 shots at the rim in terms of efficiency. And in terms of volume, he averaged 10.1 points per game at the rim in halfcourt settings, which was fourth-most in the league.

Last year, the Hawks’ most played lineup was The Kids: Young, Collins, Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish and De’Andre Hunter averaged 117.9 points per 100 possessions and allowed just 111.8. That’s a net rating of plus-6.1, much higher than the team’s overall net rating of minus-7.4.

3. Cam Reddish, W | 20 years old | Four years, $19.3 million, last two years team option

2019-20 stats: 10.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.1 steals, 38.4/33.2/80.2

Reddish went through a disastrous, prolonged shooting slump to begin his career, the likes of which I can’t really remember from a top-10 pick. Through his first 32 games (basically the entirety of the 2019 portion of the season), he shot a terrible 31.8 percent from the field and 26 percent from 3. 

But then a funny thing happened: Reddish started to figure things out. He looked a lot more comfortable on the court. The shot didn’t look as sped up, and it started falling at a rate more commensurate with how clean his mechanics look.  Instead of trying to make everything happen at once, he slowed down and started to attack with purpose and in a manner that should give him better long-term success. In the Hawks’ last 21 games, he averaged 14.6 points and four rebounds on 47 percent shooting from the field and 41.7 percent from 3.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Random thoughts on NBA radio 📻 this morning.

1. They said Kevin McHale was a badass. I agree. They said he would have put up monster numbers if he “had his own team.” I disagree. @Thomas @NBASupes@Gray Mule @Sothron @Vol4ever @thecampster @kg01 @JayBirdHawk @AHF @marco102 @turnermx @lethalweapon3 @capstone21 @Buzzard and others thoughts? I just think he got a lotta looks from Bird being doubled and Parish being a problem as well. I was a kid though around 10-12 so I don’t recall as much when McHale was indeed a badass worthy of carrying his own team.

2. They also discussed the Knicks surprising 8th seed trip to the finals in 99 and how they swept us in round 2, end of an era for us. They said the Pacers lost their chance and it should been Pacers in the finals but even then the Spurs would have won behind the Admiral and Duncan. I agree.

3. Dove into Hakeem/Admiral/Ewing debate and how Hakeem stands above the other two and solidified that in the absent Jordan years when he stepped up big. Then they said they would rank the Admiral above Ewing overall due to Robinson’s superior defense to Ewing (I agree). Admiral offense >Ewing’s D 🤭 

Random thoughts 💭

• Confused 1

McHale created the original walk before MJ became infamous for his back to the basket walk. McHale up and under over and over while dragging his pivot foot four or more feet was exasperating to me. They were already crazy good and the refs just made sure they took games with junk like that. Anyway, to me if McHale is the main piece that means Bird is not there and no ring is won. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm with you on McHale.  He was very good but his efficiency would have fallen way off without his HOF mates in the frontcourt.  

Remember when Bird was out for basically the entire season in 1988-89?  

In 1987-88, the Celtics won 57 games and made the ECF and McHale averaged 22.6 points for the year.  With the easy shots Bird opened for him, he shot 60.9% from the field.

In 1988-89, the Celtics without Bird and with McHale as the #1 offensive option won only 42 games and got swept in the first round of the playoffs.  McHale actually averaged slightly fewer points (22.5) despite playing over 72 games without Bird.  Without Bird opening easy shots, he only shot 54.6% from the field

As the #1 option, McHale ranked #14 in the league in scoring behind guys like Kelly Tripucka and Terry Cummings.  He wasn't close even as the featured offensive player to guys like Tom Chambers (25.7 ppg), Charles Barkley (25.8 ppg) or Karl Malone (29.1 ppg).   

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Random thoughts on NBA radio 📻 this morning.

1. They said Kevin McHale was a badass. I agree. They said he would have put up monster numbers if he “had his own team.” I disagree. @Thomas @NBASupes@Gray Mule @Sothron @Vol4ever @thecampster @kg01 @JayBirdHawk @AHF @marco102 @turnermx @lethalweapon3 @capstone21 @Buzzard and others thoughts? I just think he got a lotta looks from Bird being doubled and Parish being a problem as well. I was a kid though around 10-12 so I don’t recall as much when McHale was indeed a badass worthy of carrying his own team.

2. They also discussed the Knicks surprising 8th seed trip to the finals in 99 and how they swept us in round 2, end of an era for us. They said the Pacers lost their chance and it should been Pacers in the finals but even then the Spurs would have won behind the Admiral and Duncan. I agree.

3. Dove into Hakeem/Admiral/Ewing debate and how Hakeem stands above the other two and solidified that in the absent Jordan years when he stepped up big. Then they said they would rank the Admiral above Ewing overall due to Robinson’s superior defense to Ewing (I agree). Admiral offense >Ewing’s D 🤭 

Random thoughts 💭

It was a slower game then and he had length. I'm not sure McHale would be the same player in today's NBA.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, AHF said:

As the #1 option, McHale ranked #14

Good stuff AHF. Do you look this stuff up or all upstairs 🧠? I mean again I was around 10 years old in the mid 80’s but I don’t remember McHale being as good as describes by the likes of Charles Barkley and others. Then I think geez, why would Barkley build up McHale if he wasn’t good? So, I guess good yes, great, maybe no? 

If we wanted to take the debate to the next level (I’m not I’m just saying) you also showed stats of the late 80’s, for arguments sake, would it matter if we stuck a prime 1985-86 or 86-87 when he had his career high in PPG on say the Cavs or Nets, would that have made a difference. 

McHale, Hinson, World 🌎 B. Free

or 

McHale, Buck Williams (redundant both PF’s but example anyways) Micheal Ray Richardson

Would either of those teams made it far?

I’m gonna go wash 🧼 up now. Even hypothetically talking up or sideways any Schmelts makes me feel dirty. 😷