• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

4 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

While talking McHale and Bird you just cant leave out Robert Parish.  

No doubt Chief was a big reason for their success. As a matter of fact I’d say he was probably the 2nd most important piece after Bird. DJ was a son of a gun too tho. Whew, damn I hated them. Lol.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Best 5 Mascots: 

1. Benny the Bull, 2. Spurs Coyote, 3. Rocky the Mountain Lion, 4. Hugo the Hornet, 5. The Raptor

Harry the Hawk also got positive reviews.

This from the Coyote gave me a good chuckle:

Worst 5 Mascots:

1. Pierre the Pelican, 2. Chuck the Condor, 3. Lucky the Leprechaun, 4. Burnie, 5. The Brooklyn Knight

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Harry is legit the best Mascot. 

Harry has had swag since the 80’s. I remember the other mascots were just dumb, but Harry always had a little charm and wittiness to his game, specially with the ladies. I think @JayBirdHawk can confirm. 🐈 got it goin on doh 😖 😃 

ps Benny the Bull is just an idiot. 🤦‍♀️ 

Rocky got his a$$ handed to him by Chuck in Denver back in the day...

I don’t know what’s goin on with the Gorilla 🦍 in Phoenix, didn’t he used to give Jeff Hornacek a lap dance 💃 before each game. I read something weird like that in 88. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Happy bday D! 

Your Boy! :spiteful:...:cute:.

Your only saving grace is that Warriors fans thought they got a real steal in Spellman. Hawks also has a coveted 2026 2nd round pick to look forward to.:ph34r:

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Spud2nique said:

I don’t disagree because I think he got as high as 26ppg on the Celts with Bird. But what if he was on the 85 Knicks or something with a rookie Ewing, and whoever else they had. I remember the Knicks were terrible in the mid 80’s for a minute before the late 80’s. Would McHale have had those 85 Knicks in the playoffs?

I think the Knicks teams  you are remembering are the ones where King was gone off the Knicks and before Ewing or a rookie Ewing. It has been awhile for me to remember but going off memory he would have carried that team to a playoff berth. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, Peoriabird said:

Nah!  Chamberlain easily!

Wilt is the greatest player in NBA history. He has his own thing. But Wilt didn't have McHale's low post game. No one did. I remember guys at least the next ten years after McHale retired saying they watched films of McHale to learn how to be a low post player. Wilt was so physically dominant he didn't need great technique.

• Like 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Wilt is the greatest player in NBA history. He has his own thing. But Wilt didn't have McHale's low post game. No one did. I remember guys at least the next ten years after McHale retired saying they watched films of McHale to learn how to be a low post player. Wilt was so physically dominant he didn't need great technique.

Yeah, you are talking about different ratios of technique and physical tools when you are comparing Shaq, Hakeem, McHale, Wilt, Ewing, etc.

McHale didn't have much of the way of dominant physical tools so he was a virtuoso of technique to reach the level he reached.  (I also think that lack of dominant physical tools is what would have prevented him from ever being a 30 ppg guy).  

I think of the continuum between those guys being something like (worst to best):

Shaq - Ewing - Wilt - Hakeem - McHale

The tools I think of being something like:

McHale - Ewing - Hakeem - Shaq - Wilt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think the Knicks teams  you are remembering are the ones where King was gone off the Knicks and before Ewing or a rookie Ewing. It has been awhile for me to remember but going off memory he would have carried that team to a playoff berth. 

Yup post Bernard. Bernard and McHale, that might have actually amounted to a conference finals or finals appearance.

21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Your Boy! :spiteful:...:cute:.

Your only saving grace is that Warriors fans thought they got a real steal in Spellman. Hawks also has a coveted 2026 2nd round pick to look forward to.:ph34r:

I still maintain that Spellman is a talented NBA player who can't stay because he can not - - will not, control his weight.  6 more years, and then we collect !!

:sun:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I still maintain that Spellman is a talented NBA player who can't stay because he can not - - will not, control his weight.  6 more years, and then we collect !!

:sun:

When you're naturally fat, it's very hard to stay slim. You lose it, but it eventually comes back. But I think it would be great if a fat player became a star, that would truly be breaking boundaries.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

When you're naturally fat, it's very hard to stay slim. You lose it, but it eventually comes back. But I think it would be great if a fat player became a star, that would truly be breaking boundaries.

Fat for NBA stars has been like the "round mound of rebound" Charles Barkley.  Really tough to be legit fat while a star given the importance of quickness, speed and explosiveness.  Derrick Coleman might have had the potential but his weight gain coincided with a dropoff in his play (same for Shawn Kemp, Vin Baker, Shaq, etc.).  Bryant Reeves is one of the few guys I can think of who got in the conversation to be a possible All-Star game at an obvious weight and while Big Country got popular enough to land some commercials he peaked at 16 ppg & 8 rpg.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Fat for NBA stars has been like the "round mound of rebound" Charles Barkley.  Really tough to be legit fat while a star given the importance of quickness, speed and explosiveness.  Derrick Coleman might have had the potential but his weight gain coincided with a dropoff in his play (same for Shawn Kemp, Vin Baker, Shaq, etc.).  Bryant Reeves is one of the few guys I can think of who got in the conversation to be a possible All-Star game at an obvious weight and while Big Country got popular enough to land some commercials he peaked at 16 ppg & 8 rpg.

One day it's going to happen. Zion looks like he might get fat as he gets older. But, yes it will be the muscular, big boned variety. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

One day it's going to happen. Zion looks like he might get fat as he gets older. But, yes it will be the muscular, big boned variety. 

Will be interesting to see if he maintains his peak level of play when the weight comes on or if he falls off like those former All-Stars who only achieved their peak play when they were more lean.