News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I want to jump in, but ... naaaahhhhh. 

I'll just sit back and eat some of Magic's movie theater popcorn.

Hopefully he has some caramel flavored.

I jumped in for a little and quickly went to join Magic and his popcorn. haha

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

I know i'm going to piss off a lot of people on this board but I think that Trae has more superstar potential than Luka's boring azz game.  I'm not sure how much better Luka will become.  Trae has a lot of growth in front of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I know i'm going to piss off a lot of people on this board but I think that Trae has more superstar potential than Luka's boring azz game.  I'm not sure how much better Luka will become.  Trae has a lot of growth in front of him.

This doesn't piss me off.  I don't understand it, however.  Trae and Luka are literally like the same player, except Trae is a better three point shooter and Luka's a better rebounder. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This doesn't piss me off.  I don't understand it, however.  Trae and Luka are literally like the same player, except Trae is a better three point shooter and Luka's a better rebounder. 

Luka and Trae are very different players.  One relies on quickness and the other relies on size.  Trae has superior vision and excels in the pick and roll.  Luka is perimeter passer.  Trae is a more skilled shooter with far superior ball handling.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

why would that piss off anyone on this board?   I totally agree.   Trae is all about controlling the game and once he has a supporting cast that's reliable he'll be imposing will on the game.   Maybe Luka will too i don't know.   I'm not going to say he hasn't been impressive.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Lot of Luka lovers here!

The idea that you like Trae better than Luka won't piss off a single person on this site.

The notion that you think Allen Iverson and Isiah Thomas were superstars two years into their careers but Trae and Luka aren't seems indefensible based on what you've articulate so far.  I'm still waiting to hear how you arrive at that conclusion.  Your last post was about winning and Luka and Trae have won more than IT and AI did.  Luka is the only one of the bunch to have a winning season and it was well above .500.

I don't think winning is the best metric since it is so team dependent but if that is your metric then your conclusion makes no sense.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

The idea that you like Trae better than Luka won't piss off a single person on this site.

The notion that you think Allen Iverson and Isiah Thomas were superstars two years into their careers but Trae and Luka aren't seems indefensible based on what you've articulate so far.  I'm still waiting to hear how you arrive at that conclusion.  Your last post was about winning and Luka and Trae have won more than IT and AI did.  Luka is the only one of the bunch to have a winning season and it was well above .500.

I don't think winning is the best metric since it is so team dependent but if that is your metric then your conclusion makes no sense.

I'll make it simple for you.  Trae and Luka have the potential to become superstars but aren't superstar right now.  Is that an acceptable statement?

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I'll make it simple for you.  Trae and Luka have the potential to become superstars but aren't superstar right now.  Is that an acceptable statement?

That makes me wonder whether you think anyone can be a superstar until they have a long track record of HOF performance.

Other than Magic with his great Game 6 Final performance and single All-Star appearance, is there anyone you would identify as being a superstar 2 years into their career?  If so and assuming you still have no definition for superstar, what do you see that those people (if any) achieved that Trae and Luka haven't?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

That makes me wonder whether you think anyone can be a superstar until they have a long track record of HOF performance.

Other than Magic with his great Game 6 Final performance and single All-Star appearance, is there anyone you would identify as being a superstar 2 years into their career?  If so and assuming you still have no definition for superstar, what do you see that those people (if any) achieved that Trae and Luka haven't?

Winning!  plain and simple!  If your team wins because of you then you could be a superstar.  If your team wins without you, you might not be a superstar. 

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Winning!  plain and simple!  If your team wins because of you then you could be a superstar.  If your team wins without you, you might not be a superstar. 

Nothing plain and simple about that.  Magic joined a team with the league MVP and two multiple ASs (Wilkes and Nixon).  They made the playoffs three years in a row before he joined and won 54 games when he missed the season.  After he returned, they added HOFer James Worthy.  So did they win because of him?  My personal view is he seems to have been the difference between a ring and not winning a championship much like Chicago winning 55 games but coming up short of a ring without Jordan.  So is winning mid-50s games winning?  Is it only a ring that matters?  

Hakeem won zero rings without Robert Horry.  Horry went on to win 7 NBA championships versus two for Olajuwon.  Was Horry the bigger superstar because he racked up the rings?  Did Houston win because of Horry if he was the difference between them winning 50-ish games and getting bounced in the second round of the playoffs and winning a ring?  Was he a superstar by the "winning" standard?  His teams would have won a lot of games without him but you can credibly make the argument they would not have won several of these championships without his defense and clutch shooting ala the Lakers without Magic.  

Very difficult to parse this standard, imo.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Nothing plain and simple about that.  Magic joined a team with the league MVP and two multiple ASs (Wilkes and Nixon).  They made the playoffs three years in a row before he joined and won 54 games when he missed the season.  After he returned, they added HOFer James Worthy.  So did they win because of him?  But he seems, from my perspective, to have been the difference between a ring and not much like Chicago winning 55 games without Jordan.  So is winning mid-50s games winning?  Is it only a ring that matters?  

Hakeem won zero rings without Robert Horry.  Horry went on to win 7 NBA championships versus two for Olajuwon.  Was Horry the bigger superstar because he racked up the rings?  Did Houston win because of Horry if he was the difference between them winning 50-ish games and getting bounced in the second round of the playoffs and winning a ring?  Was he a superstar by the "winning" standard?  His teams would have won a lot of games without him but you can credibly make the argument they would not have won several of these championships without his defense and clutch shooting ala the Lakers without Magic.  

Very difficult to parse this standard, imo.

You can't be a superstar while in the lottery year after year.  At some point your talent has to lead to wins. If your team goes further with you that without you, You might be a superstar! If they win more games in your absence, you might not be a superstar. Superstars are invaluable and critical to their team's success and usually it is pretty obvious.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

You can be a superstar while in the lottery year after year.  At some point your talent has to lead to wins. If your team goes further with you that without you, You might be a superstar! If they win more games in your absence, you might not be a superstar. Superstars are invaluable and critical to their team's success and usually it is pretty obvious.

Did you come up with any other than Magic Johnson who you were convinced about within the first two years of their career?  This just goes back to whether the term superstar is something you would reserve for veterans even when looking back on the careers of HOFers whereas I might be more lenient in my own view as I describe what I called "young superstars."

I was or am pretty convinced about the importance of both Trae and Luka (and IT and LeBron and Magic and Shaq and many others) to their team by the end of their second season.  The Mavs went from winning 29% of the time pre-Luka to 40% of the time to 58% of the time with Luka.  The Hawks haven't seen that improvement but I don't put that on Trae and I do think he makes a huge impact on the team's success.  The numbers will come for him, IMO.  I think it is pretty obvious with both of them.

• Like 1