• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Wish I could help ya but I wouldn’t give BSPN a dime. 

I gotta tell ya the beginning of the story alone pisses me off. Where they say we are trying to make a playoff spot. We trying to make a decade run fools.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, JTB said:

I don't get how ESPN gets their numbers. Spotrac says we have a lot more than 42 million 

It's a shit article. Not worth reading. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't have access, but If they are using a $109 million salary cap it's correct. This is based on speculation that the salary cap will remain the same as this years because of CV19.  

If you assume the pre-CV19 cap of $115 million then we'll be at ~$48 million.

We have 8 contracts fully guaranteed totaling $56 million (Capela, Dedmon, Hunter, Young, Reddish, Collins, Huerter, and Fernando). Brandon Goodwin, if he is still on the roster Aug. 1,brings the total up to $57 million. Assume ~$6 million for our 1st round draft pick (will vary depending on draft position) and 2 empty roster charges brings our total to ~ $67 million.

So depending on the final salary cap numbers, in the range of $109 - $115  our capspace can range anywhere from $42 - $48 million.

48 million is what I got.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What salary cap did you use?

115 million. The NBA already confirmed it. My guess is they are saying we only have 42 because of the min roster spots but to me, that's silly to do because they will likely be filled by draft picks.

It could go down due to COVID but we don't know that yet

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

115 million. The NBA already confirmed it. My guess is they are saying we only have 42 because of the min roster spots but to me, that's silly to do because they will likely be filled by draft picks.

It could go down due to COVID but we don't know that yet

I have not seen any confirmation. Link please?

It started at $116 last summer, after China dropped to $115. We are still awaiting the final cap from COVID implications. Everything I have seen/read indicates it will drop from the $115 to at least this year's level of $109.

The 2 empty roster spots is  a total of  ~$1.5 million so that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have not seen any confirmation. Link please?

It started at $116 last summer, after China dropped to $115. We are still awaiting the final cap from COVID implications. Everything I have seen/read indicates it will drop from the $115 to at least this year's level of $109.

The 2 empty roster spots is  a total of  ~$1.5 million so that's not the case.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873875-report-updated-2020-21-nba-salary-cap-luxury-tax-projections-revealed#:~:text=The salary cap for the,to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is from January 30th - PRE-COVID and BEFORE the NBA shutdown and are playing without fans.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I know that. That's why at the bottom, I said this could change due to COVID

May 9th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2890903-nba-salary-cap-reportedly-will-be-lowered-because-of-coronavirus-pandemic.amp.html

July 17th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-nba-salary-cap-could-drop-substantially-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/amp/

So if the ESPN article is using $109 they are correct.

What does the rest of the article say?

• Like 2

Can someone like @thecampster help me with this: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/2020/

I keep getting plus Goodwin - 51,096,071 cap space without Goodwin - 52,797,664 cap space = -6 million

58,797,664 for 115 million in cap space. 

How the hell is ESPN getting 42-48 million and basketballinsiders getting 48.4? 

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/atlanta-hawks-team-salary/#:~:text=Charlie Brown Jr.&text=Quick%3A Spent over the cap.&text=Projection for 2020-21 (%24,)%3A Up to %2448.4 million.

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Can someone like @thecampster help me with this: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/2020/

I keep getting plus Goodwin - 51,096,071 cap space without Goodwin - 52,797,664 cap space = -6 million

How the hell is ESPN getting 42-48 million? 

Jay layed it out above:

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't have access, but If they are using a $109 million salary cap it's correct. This is based on speculation that the salary cap will remain the same as this years because of CV19.  

If you assume the pre-CV19 cap of $115 million then we'll be at ~$48 million.

We have 8 contracts fully guaranteed totaling $56 million (Capela, Dedmon, Hunter, Young, Reddish, Collins, Huerter, and Fernando). Brandon Goodwin, if he is still on the roster Aug. 1,brings the total up to $57 million. Assume ~$6 million for our 1st round draft pick (will vary depending on draft position) and 2 empty roster charges brings our total to ~ $67 million.

So depending on the final salary cap numbers, in the range of $109 - $115  our capspace can range anywhere from $42 - $48 million.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Why do they keep including the min roster spots. That's like under 1 mil and it can be any salary. I hate when they do that. 

When you calculate cap space, you have to include roster charges for unfilled spots.  

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks)5. This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary6; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

How the hell is ESPN getting 42-48 million and basketballinsiders getting 48.4? 

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/atlanta-hawks-team-salary/#:~:text=Charlie Brown Jr.&text=Quick%3A Spent over the cap.&text=Projection for 2020-21 (%24,)%3A Up to %2448.4 million.

on it!

Okay so the easy math. When you subtract Goodwin you're also adding back a cap charge. Because Goodwin was a non-guaranteed charge, its a bit wonky but basically dropping Goodwin grants back less than you're allocating.

So counting only Capela, Dedmon, Hunter, Young, Reddish, Collins, Huerter, Goodwin, Fernando (9 players), you're at: $56,199,336  Start there.

Now add in the 3 cap charges.

Edited by thecampster

Now add in the 3 cap charges. $963.005 each. ($59,088,351)

Assuming a Cap next year of 117,000,000, that's $57,911,649. But that number includes (see below)

However, the Hawks are currently slotted to have the 4th pick @ $7,577,520. Leaving you $50,334,129 in cap space.

All of this assumes a $117M cap and that I haven't forgotten or missed anything.  There might be a player I've forgotten or they might be counting the 2nd round pick we traded away but "technically" doesn't convey until draft night. They also might be going with this year's cap figure of $115 because they're expecting a revenue reduction now.

• Like 3

Okay so now for my annual cap "stipulation".  The cap charges are imaginary and only used in signing players to max contracts and or going over the max. Technically since all teams end up with more than 13 by training cap, they really don't matter.

So if we're going with a $109 million cap. but add back in the cap holds, we have roughly $45 million to spend.  and I truly hope that confuses someone beyond repair.

No counting cap holds, count us as getting the 4th pick and we have $45,223,144 give or take a minor cap adjustment.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1