• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

23 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I want to see more of this defensive effort from Trae consistently.

I've said this before to Andrew Kelly and others but Trae Young can be a better defender than Kevin Huerter even though Kevin is a superior team defender. His man defense is flat out awful and his lack of stamina makes it impossible for him to ever be a net neutral defender. I've been saying for a couple of year, Trae has excellent lateral quickness, wiry strong, has great BBIQ, and when he communicates is effective on defense but him more than others, he needs a great defensive cast around him because he does have natural limitations due to his lack of size. That said, you can build a team top 10 defense around Young and he can be an average defender in this league but his energy level has to match his energy level on offense.

If this is the case, he needs to be in much better shape but he might need to be limited to 30-32 MPG like Coach Bud did with Giannis to get max effort. I know when the playoffs come, I know will hide Trae as best as we can since he's needed to play 38-40 MPG but like I said, Trae's person to watch is John Stockton. Similar wiry strong, with excellent hands, who has a similar frame and lateral quickness. He just needs to play with more energy on the defensive end. The same energy he has on offense. 

Atlanta needs to really have a strong 1-3 in the PG ranks. If you resign Teague, you still need a strong 3rd string PG. All of the PG's we need due to our system needs to be able to run a system or playmake at an high level or do both at a high level.

We need to figure out how to maximize Trae Young but do it and still field a winner.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I've said this before to Andrew Kelly and others but Trae Young can be a better defender than Kevin Huerter even though Kevin is a superior team defender. His man defense is flat out awful and his lack of stamina makes it impossible for him to ever be a net neutral defender. I've been saying for a couple of year, Trae has excellent lateral quickness, wiry strong, has great BBIQ, and when he communicates is effective on defense but him more than others, he needs a great defensive cast around him because he does have natural limitations due to his lack of size. That said, you can build a team top 10 defense around Young and he can be an average defender in this league but his energy level has to match his energy level on offense.

If this is the case, he needs to be in much better shape but he might need to be limited to 30-32 MPG like Coach Bud did with Giannis to get max effort. I know when the playoffs come, I know will hide Trae as best as we can since he's needed to play 38-40 MPG but like I said, Trae's person to watch is John Stockton. Similar wiry strong, with excellent hands, who has a similar frame and lateral quickness. He just needs to play with more energy on the defensive end. The same energy he has on offense. 

Atlanta needs to really have a strong 1-3 in the PG ranks. If you resign Teague, you still need a strong 3rd string PG. All of the PG's we need due to our system needs to be able to run a system or playmake at an high level or do both at a high level.

We need to figure out how to maximize Trae Young but do it and still field a winner.  

As long as we decrease the offensive burden (both in running the team and scoring) on Trae, he can do the little things on defense to get an uptick. Like everyone has been saying, this offseason for Travis is essential to build up the team around the young core.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Absurd NBA Trade Offers for Every Team's Most Untouchable Star

Atlanta Hawks receive: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Luguentz Dort, No. 25 pick (via DEN) and 2021 first-round pick (top-five protected)

Oklahoma City Thunder receive: Trae Young

Much like the initial trade that delivered Trae Young to Atlanta during the 2018 draft (at the expense of Luka Doncic), this deal would involve the Hawks flipping one star prospect for a slightly lower regarded one to fetch additional assets.

Young is the brightest star involved and certainly the most lethal on offense. He just became only the fifth player ever to average at least 29 points and nine assists, and he's the second to hit those marks within his first two NBA seasons. But he's also literally the worst defender in the entire league, and Atlanta may see that as a fatal flaw.

It could make sense, then, to swap him out for the more well-rounded Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. If Atlanta sees enough shooting and shot-creation between John Collins, Cam Reddish, Kevin Huerter and De'Andre Hunter, then it give some ground on offense in this deal while directly addressing its 28th-ranked offense. Gilgeous-Alexander can defend multiple spots, and Luguentz Dort could soon appear on All-Defensive rosters.

Meanwhile, the Thunder can tailor their entire rebuild around Young, whose combination of off-the-dribble deep shooting and clever distributing is basically an offensive system all itself. The fact he played his high school and college ball in the Sooner State should also energize one of the league's smallest markets.

This is not even close to an absurd offer to consider.

Here's another:

Golden State Warriors receive: Trae Young, Clint Capela and De'Andre Hunter

Atlanta Hawks receive: Stephen Curry

Have you ever watched Trae Young and thought you're seeing Stephen Curry 2.0? They aren't quite mirror images of one another—Young is a more natural passer, Curry has the edge in efficiency and close-range finishing—but the similarities include the off-the-dribble deep-range shooting that defines the offensive systems in Atlanta and Golden State.

"There is that comparison that's made," Hawks advisor and former Warriors general manager Larry Riley said on the Papa & Lund podcast, via Warriors Wire's Logan Newman. "Everybody's going to make that comparison between he and Steph."

If the Warriors see Young as a Curry-in-training, then they might pounce on the opportunity to add a similar player who's 10 years younger and not coming off an injury-riddled campaign. Clint Capela could shore up the interior, and De'Andre Hunter would help address a wing deficiency.

For the Hawks, they'd be dealing a possible Curry for the real thing. It's never easy to scoff at the opportunity to add a two-time MVP and three-time champion. Plus, they could still field a formidable roster around him with John Collins, Cam Reddish, Kevin Huerter and whomever they add with the No. 6 pick.

...and another:

Memphis Grizzlies receive: Trae Young

Atlanta Hawks receive: Ja Morant and 2021 first-round pick (1-7 and 15-30 protected, via UTA)

Ja Morant gave Beale Street some bounce, and the presumably rebuilding Grizzlies nearly followed his lead into the postseason. Expectations were exceeded to such an eye-opening degree that even in an exercise like this, it's hard to get your mind around Memphis moving Morant.

But that changes in a hurry if Trae Young is on the table. Morant might be an energizer, but Young establishes an organizational identity.

Having Young and Jaren Jackson Jr. on the same floor would be like having an answer key for all of the problems opposing defenses can present. They'd have a devastating connection in the open court and endless opportunities on pick plays. Young's three-point cannon would also give Jonas Valanciunas and Justise Winslow more room to operate, hence the Grizzlies' willingness to ship out a pick in this deal.

The Hawks, though, might envision more team-building opportunities with Morant than a one-way player like Young allows. There wouldn't be such a thing as playing too fast for this young Atlanta offense, and opposing defenses could be repeatedly humiliated with Morant, John Collins, Clint Capela and Cam Reddish all exploding to the rim.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2913276-absurd-nba-trade-offers-for-every-teams-most-untouchable-star.amp.html

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1