NBASupes

• 2 weeks later...

Trae is #17. To me he’s top 5.

No. 17: Trae Young

Seth Wenig/Pool Photo/USA TODAY Sports

Atlanta Hawks | PG
2020 NBArank: 
No. 29

One big question: What's next? Young is one of the most ascendant young stars in the league, but the big questions here are does he have another gear and can he click into it this season? The keys are shooting efficiency and turnovers. Last season, Young made just 34.3% of his 3s (and just 31.3% in the postseason) and was among the league's leaders in giveaways. If he can improve in those areas, he immediately becomes an MVP candidate for Atlanta. -- Goldsberry

Why he rose 12 spots: You might be old enough to remember when people (guilty!) wondered whether Young's size would limit his playoff value. Instead, Young delivered one of the best postseason debuts in recent memory, leading the Hawks to the conference finals with 28.8 PPG and 9.5 APG and firmly establishing himself as a star. -- Kevin Pelton

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dnice said:

My favorite quote

So far, that mentorship has translated to winning. “He knows how to control the game,” Capela says. “People like to compare him to Luka [Dončić], but at the end of their careers, all we’re gonna remember is who won the most. Like Kobe [Bryant] and [Allen] Iverson. Kobe won, so that’s the difference right there. That’s what will make [Trae] extremely special. One of the greats.”

Yup!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I was today years old when I realized that Kobe and AI came out of the same draft

Me too! 

Edit:  Wait- I did know.  Both were 1996 right? I think ESPN did like a special on that class.

Edited by marco102

I like this mindset from Cam and the confidence.  I hope it starts to show in game.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/06/trae-young-hawks-leader-daily-cover

I know I’m nice,” Reddish says. “So when my opportunity comes—and it came in the playoffs a little bit, y’all saw a little sneak peekthen when it’s time to play my role, I’ll play my role. When you start getting good at your role, then your role gets bigger. It’s a process. Sometimes it’s gonna be hell. But you work through that.

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Me too! 

Edit:  Wait- I did know.  Both were 1996 right? I think ESPN did like a special on that class.

Amazing that Kobe slid as far as he did that year.  The top of that draft is pretty stacked so I get not wanting to pass on AI, Camby, Ray Allen, etc. for a high school player at a time when HS guys were disfavored but look who was picked before Kobe in the 9-12 slots:

Samaki Walker

Erick Dampier

Todd Fuller

Vitaly Potapenko

Wow.

• Like 2