• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In the Memphis game yesterday announcers kept saying Ja is in the MVP conversation.   I'm so tired of Trae just getting ignored. 

I'd like to add something to stave off the 'well if we was winnin' crowd.

Trae was never mentioned in that regard last season once it was clear we were gonna be in the range of playoff seeding MEM is in right now.

I got no beef with the omission this season but, if they're gonna put Ja in it this year, Trae should've been in it last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

The reason:

Memphis #3 seed in the West well ahead of expectations

Atlanta #12 seed in the East well below expectations

MVP talk is frequently very similar to most improved talk.  Who is putting up better numbers on a team that is significantly outperforming projections?  That is how you bypass guys like Shaq and LeBron for MVP for the exciting up and comer on that team that few members of the media expected to be this good.

Beat me to it. Hawks need to get back into the Playoff picture and beyond to get any recognition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Memphis and ATL are trending in opposite directions. Memphis won 11 straight and Ja is the tip of the spear for them. It is what it is.

MEM did a lion-sized portion of their damage without Ja, which I think should matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

I'd like to add something to stave off the 'well if we was winnin' crowd.

Trae was never mentioned in that regard last season once it was clear we were gonna be in the range of playoff seeding MEM is in right now.

I got no beef with the omission this season but, if they're gonna put Ja in it this year, Trae should've been in it last year.

True. The "narrative" was still following him around at that time so he wasn't going to get jack last season. It took the Hawks making it to the ECF to change media perception. This season he was in the MVP race "honorable mentions" when the Hawks were in the thick of the Playoff race early on before the bottom fell out.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Y'all really think Trae will get mentioned even if we're back in the thick of the playoff picture?

giphy.gif

We were in the middle of the pack for a month and Trae's stats were literally better than most of the guys on the list but not a mention.  

• Like 4

Just now, hawkman said:

True. The "narrative" was still following him around at that time so he wasn't going to get jack last season. It took the Hawks making it to the ECF to change media perception. This season he was in the MVP race "honorable mentions" when the Hawks were in the thick of the Playoff race early on before the bottom fell out.

Yeah, if we were playing how we were supposed to, he would be there.

You're not wrong about last year but it's still a croc o' sh*t.

Just now, macdaddy said:

Y'all really think Trae will get mentioned even if we're back in the thick of the playoff picture?

giphy.gif

We were in the middle of the pack for a month and Trae's stats were literally better than most of the guys on the list but not a mention.  

Dang, this is fair too.  I'm torn.  Cage match between macd and hawkman to break the tie.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I see those Steph votes and want to question it but his net rating for the year is the team high and frankly just absurd given how poorly (for his own standards, still well above league average...) he's been shooting

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Yea, Hawks were not in third place pre All-Star break. They were wallowing more or less where they are now, so it's not an equal comparison. If the Hawks were playing the way Memphis is right now it's a safe bet Trae makes it. After his playoff exposure last year and his numbers this year Trae is a shoo-in despite his team struggling. All-Star voting is all about player perception and nothing else, perception is a mix of numbers and team success. 

• Like 2

Trae started last season with dark horse MVP hype after the masterclass vs Chicago. But he kind of sabotaged himself with that early season slump/drama when people weren’t even sure if he was trying. We also were never 31-15 (we were 31-26) and 3rd place in the conference (after the very beginning). It is what it is. 

26 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If there was there would be a problem.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:32 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I had to look again to see how much time was left on the clock :laugh1:.  Thought they NEEDED that 3.:laugh1::laugh1:

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say that was a "heat check" shot.   He had probably ( hopefully ) made 3 or 4 threes in a row, and felt that he was so hot, that he could take another one and make it.

I remember a Junior Varsity game I played in my sophomore year in high school.  I had made my 3rd 3 in a row and definitely had the hot game.  Then I got a steal and had a fast break all to myself.  I slowed down, and pulled up from 3 . . and missed.  We were down by 2 with about 4 minutes to go.  I thought for sure I was going to make that 3, and just look back at my teammates smiling.

Instead, I looked back and my coach was going CRAZY on the bench and immediately pointed at a teammate to get me out.

I didn't finish the game . . and we lost.  Even lost my starting job for the next game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2