WTF! John Collins Suspended 25 Games!?!

marco102

13 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

WTF!!! MAN LEAVE GRANT OUTTA THIS HES MY 11th FAV HAWK OF ALL TIME! Sorry Gramps for the caps but this kg is workin me..

Grant Long sucked. Sucked.  Also-ran 90's power forward.  Yaaaawn

You're welcome for this cold splash of water on your Grant Long fanhood.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Sounds like you're making the slippery slope argument, which is generally not a strong one. Bottom line is the case against PEDs is weak, they benefit athletes and their record of safety is well documented. The fact that some athletes might abuse them is immaterial. Any drug can be abused, responsible use is part of the deal. We don't ban cars because some are bad drivers. But like I said previously, they should be used under a doctor's supervision. The fact is the only harm athletes have faced from PEDs is the embarrassment of getting caught and harm to their career and reputation. Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong and hundreds of others are all in good health. The safety argument is total utter BS. It's time that PEDs become part of the allowable armentarium for recovery and improved performance.

Strawman.  You are incredibly naive if you think it will be responsible doctors making these decisions.  It isn't a slippery slope.  It is how it works today and how it will work in the future regardless of what drugs are on or off the banned list.  If guys think they can get a competitive advantage taking something their doctor didn't prescribe, they will take it.  Using your rule will expand the number of legal PEDs but fundamentally doesn't change the current dynamic.  The only scenario that works like you think it will is if you have no controls whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, turnermx said:

As long as Trae is healthy I think we play .500+ ball over next 24 games.

As I predicted 41-41, I'd tend to agree 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Then explain to me why every athlete that’s ever been caught with HGH wasn’t arrested immediately and served time? Last I checked, Barry Bonds is still a free man. It’s prescribed to children who are not growing at the same rate as other kids... it’s also prescribed to people with conditions related to aging which is how celebs get HGH injections all the time. Once again, it’s a controlled substance like Adderal or Oxy, but is not illegal if prescribed. Also, money talks and even physicians have a price.

OJ also got away with murder what’s ur point? It’s ILLEGAL! 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, AHF said:

Strawman.  You are incredibly naive if you think it will be responsible doctors making these decisions.  It isn't a slippery slope.  It is how it works today and how it will work in the future regardless of what drugs are on or off the banned list.  If guys think they can get a competitive advantage taking something their doctor didn't prescribe, they will take it.  Using your rule will expand the number of legal PEDs but fundamentally doesn't change the current dynamic.  The only scenario that works like you think it will is if you have no controls whatsoever.

I'm fine with no controls, or some controls. But either way, PEDs should be an allowable part of the regimen. Even if it is just moving the goal posts as you suggest, that's not really the point. The point is expanding the options available for athletes as far as aiding in recovery and performance, drugs that augment testosterone or growth hormone being among those.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

OJ also got away with murder what’s ur point? It’s ILLEGAL! 

if the gloves don't fit, you must acquit! loved Johnny Cochran lol

• Like 3

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So you had to stay up to change diapers huh 🤔 😆 enjoooyyyy.

Add me to the pro-Grant Long list I loved that guy - I think kg showing his age got him confused with Hendu (Alan Henderson)😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

As I predicted 41-41, I'd tend to agree 😉

I predicted 43-39, thats looking good too without any additional significant time lost due to injury. when John gets back the schedule will get easier.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Grant Long sucked. Sucked.  Also-ran 90's power forward.  Yaaaawn

You're welcome for this cold splash of water on your Grant Long fanhood.

Grant Long certainly did not suck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Long was a strong role player who was an easy fit on any team.  Great defense and enough offense and rebounding to go with it.  Nice supporting man in the cast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

In order to convince the arbitrator, the player faces a high burden of persuasion. He must prove by “clear and convincing evidence” that “he bears no significant fault or negligence” for the test result. In that same vein, the player must offer sufficient evidence to corroborate that he “did not know or suspect, and could not reasonably have known or suspected, even with the exercise of considerable caution and diligence, that he was taking, ingesting, applying, or otherwise using” a prohibited substance.

As a result of this high standard, a player who simply argues “I had no idea this would happen, you’ve got to believe me, I’d never do anything like this” would lose his appeal. Establishing an absence of bad intent is not enough. The player must also demonstrate that the manner in which he ingested a substance would not have given an ordinary NBA player in his position reasonable grounds to suspect he might have consumed a prohibited substance.

For Collins, he’ll need to detail how he obtained the supplement and what steps—if any—he took to assess the supplement’s ingredients. If, for example, Collins regularly uses this particular supplement and if he had not previously tested positive, he might credibly maintain that he had no reason to suspect that he would test positive this time around.

It appears Collins will argue such a point. His statement references alleged contamination of the supplement. This implies that the supplement would not ordinarily contain the “illegal component” that triggered the positive result. To the extent Collins preserved the bottle or other materials that contained the supplement, and to the extent other samples from that bottle/materials also show contamination, the more persuasive a defense Collins can raise.

The NBPA has a vested interest in seeing the suspensions of Ayton and Collins reduced. The union expended bargaining power in negotiating a drug policy that clearly distinguishes violators based on degree of fault. As Article XXXIII establishes, a player who mistakenly ingests a SPED or diuretic ought to be treated differently from one who knowingly or recklessly does so.

34 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Don't mind the snark I express towards spud.  I like to rankle him as much as possible.  Yes, Long did not "suck".  As AH said, he was a solid roleplayer.

Geez, didn't mean to rustle the Grant Long appreciation club's jimmies.

xspld.gif

Next thing you know, a bunch-a Ivano Newbill fans gonna beat down my door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3