Some defensive numbers.

Atlantaholic

4 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

If Trae and Jabari stay anywhere near their 104 and 106 D ratings respectively after 20 games I’m gonna do a triple backflip out this bih.  CLP The Don sat Jabari down day one and was like “yeah, about your comments on defense...FOH.”

He just has everyone manning up and playing within a great team defensive construct outside of Bembry who’s free to play to his instincts pretty wildly. Don’t try to block a good shot after it’s gone up, it’s better to crowd a catch and and force a bad one.  

Hunter is uncanny the way he squares up drivers and rarely bites on fakes.  His defensive metrics seem to be trending to taking a big hit the way Klay’s does because he’s asked to be so versatile and could care less about his individual  block + steal totals, he’s focused on low opponent team percentage.  At times Cam looks like a damn octopus.

Lets all give a big thanks to both TS and CLP for managing this so incredibly well. Adversity doesn't even cause a grimace for our team and our talent acquired does indeed have to be coached. Looking smooth and oh so soon. Am surprised even with me being a homer. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

To add to this stellar post by @Atlantaholic , hawks are currently ranked ....

-10th in team defensive efficiency

-2nd in opponent points  in the paint (only behind the bucks)

-2nd in opponent fastbreaks (actually tied with Utah)

-1st in 4th quarter defense for points allowed 

Our hawks are doing extremely well right now squawk , at a lot of things defensively! The only thing that I’m seeing that’s a bit of a negative is where the hawks currently rank 23rd in opponent free throw attempts per FGA. We are still allowing teams to get to the free throw line vs us at a good rate for the opponent but that could be bullshit ass refs too

I am pretty sure Tyler Herro singlehandedly harmed the free throw line vs us stat by getting fouled about a half dozen times on 3 point shots in the 2 games we played the Heat together

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

If Trae and Jabari stay anywhere near their 104 and 106 D ratings respectively after 20 games I’m gonna do a triple backflip out this bih.  CLP The Don sat Jabari down day one and was like “yeah, about your comments on defense...FOH.”

He just has everyone manning up and playing within a great team defensive construct outside of Bembry who’s free to play to his instincts pretty wildly. Don’t try to block a good shot after it’s gone up, it’s better to crowd a catch and and force a bad one.  

Hunter is uncanny the way he squares up drivers and rarely bites on fakes.  His defensive metrics seem to be trending to taking a big hit the way Klay’s does because he’s asked to be so versatile and could care less about his individual  block + steal totals, he’s focused on low opponent team percentage.  At times Cam looks like a damn octopus.

I think a big factor is the team chemistry we have on the squad and it all starts with the leaders of this team who are clearly Trae and Vince right now. Both of these guys bust their ass and are constantly communicating with the other players on the court. That stuff is contagious and when you have a group of long athletes that are communicating and trusting each other on defense, these are the results. Of course coach Pierce is the man that has to get the kudos here because one must assume it's his influence that has really caused this to happen. Adding players like Hunter and Cam and committing to Bembry over Baze (which started last year) also have fueled the turnaround... these are players that have defense heavily imbeded in their basketball DNA.

In any team environment, whether in sports or otherwise, cultures are so incredibly addictive, and having our team start to forge this defensive identity where we can see players who may not have been good defenders like Parker get plugged in and really elevate that part of their game immediately is a sight to behold. Most encouraging thing we could be witnissing for this core at this moment in time. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I am pretty sure Tyler Herro singlehandedly harmed the free throw line vs us stat by getting fouled about a half dozen times on 3 point shots in the 2 games we played the Heat together

Think moving forward we have to really start consistently getting calls because we do have the best point guard in the game and folks already know it is HOF stuff. You know how refs always think about that stuff and how they want to look. Example = Bibby's nose vs Kobe's elbow. Guess who goes to the line for freebies. We have that guy right here now do believe. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

To add to this stellar post by @Atlantaholic , hawks are currently ranked ....

-10th in team defensive efficiency

-2nd in opponent points  in the paint (only behind the bucks)

-2nd in opponent fastbreaks (actually tied with Utah)

-1st in 4th quarter defense for points allowed 

Our hawks are doing extremely well right now squawk , at a lot of things defensively! The only thing that I’m seeing that’s a bit of a negative is where the hawks currently rank 23rd in opponent free throw attempts per FGA. We are still allowing teams to get to the free throw line vs us at a good rate for the opponent but that could be bullshit ass refs too

I don’t mind the refs because they’re giving Trae the star treatment.  I think looking at it from a per FGA perspective skews it because our pace has slowed so much from last year (3rd lowest opponent field goal attempts so far). Not sure how different outlets are ranking the 21.7 personal fouls a game.  TeamRankings has us at 12th, The Reference at 3.  I’ll take either.

• Like 1

I'm a little worried about our 3pt defense. I don't think we've quite earned that %. But it's still an impressive improvement overall. Going from an all-time bad defense to even a top 20 defense is impressive when the only notable additions to the rotation (so far) are 2 rookies and Jabari "I'm not paid to play defense" Parker.