• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More than anyone on this squad, Cam Reddish is really starting to piss me off

NBASupes

15 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Straight line drives for dunks and layups. A fast break when it happens, and shoot threes. I agree about the dribble in and shoot from inside the three point line. They look crafty but are a waste more times than not.

He can work on his strength and dribble penetration in the off season.

No one is really giving him straight drives. Chicago gave him drives but into traffic. Only Miami gave him them straight line drives and that's because they are baiting for charges or overpersuring the point of attack which is how Denver burned them.

This is the NBA, if you don't have freak athleticism with handles, you better have that floater like Trae with crazy body control or else, stay out of the lane. 

Since Cam doesn't fall into either category, stay out of the lane is good advice.

Bro just needs to play his game and stop giving a damn about a make or miss. That's what he did at Duke. He had confidence he could make everything. Why do I feel Parker is more confident from three than him? Jabari can't even shoot like that. 

Cam, just play your game. Your entire prep and college career, you been shooting 7 to 10 threes a game per26 and 9 to 14 per36. That's an insane total. Bro, you not T-Mac. You not prime VC. You not DeRozan. You Cam Reddish. Shoot them damn threes!

Edited by NBASupes

I'll say this a thousand times. Cam can play the same offensive game he played at Duke here with the Hawks and just play defense and rebound like he is doing now, I am an extremely happy camper and I'll look f***ing good. 

In Atlanta, we already run more actions than I ever seen us run for him at Duke on a game to game basis. He just needs to play his game. 

I don’t mind Cam shooting if it’s there. If the pass is there get an assist, if you need to set a screen do it. Don’t limit yourself to strictly threes but rather take what the defense gives you imo. 

Cam is a star ⭐️ it’s just a matter of when we see the entire package 📦.

1-2 years?

3-5 year?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just don't really think that this is the plan by the Hawks. Think the plan here in year 1 always was to come in, play defense, stay in control on offense with your chances while we relegate you to being the 4th option in normal cases, so, probably a downgrade from last year (not looking but I'm guessing off the top of my head). The bring you along slowly plan while we try very hard in between games to work on helping you improve.

4th option=8-10 shots a game. 

To make it sound better though, this can also look like the Kawhi/Paul George/even Harden and Ingram to an extent plans from the past where they weren't high on the food chain offensively to start but worked their way up as they grew and developed. It is not a horrible thing that he's in that role. The thing that he needs to do is execute. 

I made a bold call elsewhere that can be found, but I realistically didn't expect a lot from his rookie season. At this point, even a Paul George/Brandon Ingram like rookie year would be massive success. 

BTW: If it isn't the Hawks plan, there's a third thing here other than Cam being passive/not trusting his shot that doesn't look great already, at least so far that we're seeing. Its to be on the side of nicer, Trae not trusting him yet. As there have been plenty of stretches where Cam does not even get a touch when Trae is on the floor at least to me.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just don't really think that this is the plan by the Hawks. Think the plan here in year 1 always was to come in, play defense, stay in control on offense with your chances while we relegate you to being the 4th option in normal cases, so, probably a downgrade from last year (not looking but I'm guessing off the top of my head). The bring you along slowly plan while we try very hard in between games to work on helping you improve.

4th option=8-10 shots a game. 

To make it sound better though, this can also look like the Kawhi/Paul George/even Harden and Ingram to an extent plans from the past where they weren't high on the food chain offensively to start but worked their way up as they grew and developed. It is not a horrible thing that he's in that role. The thing that he needs to do is execute. 

I made a bold call elsewhere that can be found, but I realistically didn't expect a lot from his rookie season. At this point, even a Paul George/Brandon Ingram like rookie year would be massive success. 

BTW: If it isn't the Hawks plan, there's a third thing here other than Cam being passive/not trusting his shot that doesn't look great already, at least so far that we're seeing. Its to be on the side of nicer, Trae not trusting him yet. As there have been plenty of stretches where Cam does not even get a touch when Trae is on the floor at least to me.

No offense but those guys all shot a much higher percentage from 2FG% and weren't getting blocked anywhere near as much. Lou Williams is the only player I see with these rookie metrics which makes sense as in HS, Lou was shooting horrendous percentages from three. He was mainly a slasher and a bucket. He had to adjust since he didn't have the athleticism, body control, or strength at that time. 

Cam is a rarity. His has those issues and is much worse in many of the areas than Lou but he can shoot unlike Lou at that time. Cam just has to shoot threes. That's what he does. To say otherwise is going v. the obvious. 

I don't see why anyone would be happy to see Cam shooting 5.1 threes per36. That's a pathetic percentage if you shot 10 per40 and 10per36 during most of your season. It doesn't make sense. That's a substantial gap. 5 less threes a game is a bigger gap from Klay Thompson to John Collins. Imagine Klay's effectiveness taking 5 less threes a game. He would be a nobody. 

This is extremely dangerous territory for Cam Reddish. This is how you become a bust. Even if some people (idiots) thought Cam was trash at Duke offensively, you will make it truly clear you are trash offensively shooting 28% from 2FG which is where you take a whopping 55% of your shots from. Let's compare this to one of the all time worst offensive Hawks of all time, Mario West. 46.7 - rookie 39.4 - 2nd  60.0 - 3rd. Note, he barely played but even with the Nets, he shot 47.1% from 2FG. This might be the worst offensive player I've ever seen put on a uniform other than Pape Sy, even Pape, the worst NBA player of all time shot 40% from 2FG range. 

Lurker, Cam get as many touches as he got at Duke. Not many at all. He still got up 12 shots a game. He still shot 66% of jumpers were threes. No excuses to me. If anything LP at least runs actions for Cam, Duke never did unless Zion or R.J. was off the floor. The Chicago game, he got a lot of touches due to Chicago's gameplan and he only shot 4 threes? WHAT!?! It wasn't like he didn't have space. They were baiting him to drive. If I will give you a lot of touches and you gonna drive into traffic, don't draw fouls and turn the ball over, you think you should trust them? 

I don't agree with none of ya'll in here who don't see what I am seeing. I guess you aren't familiar with this player so you are adjusting on the fly to him. I am familiar. I've watched more tape of him than any prospect we have gotten or worked out over the last 5 years. We got to use him right offensively. He can't be having games were he only shoots 3 threes. That's lunacy! 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t mind Cam shooting if it’s there. If the pass is there get an assist, if you need to set a screen do it. Don’t limit yourself to strictly threes but rather take what the defense gives you imo. 

Cam is a star ⭐️ it’s just a matter of when we see the entire package 📦.

1-2 years?

3-5 year?

He has the talent to do more in the long run but that's not going to come over night no matter how much he tries. It will flash but he needs legit work over the summer for that. We might not see quality slashing Cam till year 4 or 5. 

He can shoot. He need to that in volume. One thing Cam proved at Duke is he shoots better the more he shoots. He is like a bruising running back and 30 carries. 

Edited by NBASupes

A lot of fans really struggle with player type and what players already are. I knew anyone saying their goal for Kev path Bradley Beal was out their damn minds because I know he don't have that in his kit. He just couldn't draw fouls and even this year, he is still struggling to draw fouls. Teams adjusted to his scouting report as they did John's. 

I know Hunter was going to be a low end shooter from three with 4 man volume because he barely took them in college. It's no different than Leonard and others who played the 4 in college. It will take years before Hunter becomes a 7 3s a game player. 3 to 4 at the least. 

But all of those guys played their game. You can't say Kev is a bust even if he is struggling because he is still playing his game. Hunter looks like he did at UVa and some. 

Cam on defense has looked tremendous. Him and Lonzo Ball had some of the biggest jumps on the defensive end from college to the pros but on offense. Cam has been one of the worst I've seen in ages. He is not playing his game. He is a turnover machine anywhere around the paint. He takes too many bad quality mid range jumpers. Many of which are blocked. A number of these he had issues with in college. 

He just needs to play his game. Shoot threes, let it fly, show your high end variance from 3 and keep it pushing.

Out of all of our players. He is the first one that's doing the Bazemore or the Josh Smith and just doing things that don't make sense to me based on what he was before this level of play. I hated seeing Bazemore shoot so many damn jumpers. He didn't have a natural shooting touch and he didn't have a feel for them either. Cam peeve is driving to the paint and you know it's going to be either bad, good, really bad, or WTF!. I haven't felt those emotions since Josh Smith from three. 

My favorite scrub right now is Jordan Poole. Now he has no business starting but now that he is, I like how he is letting his nuts hang. 8.5 3s per36 which is 2.2 higher than in college at Michigan. Now he too like Cam can't finish all that well at this stage but he knows this, so he is shooting threes and not worrying about it. 

Cam nuts is shriveling, he is walking around naked in North Michigan in the middle of January. Poole is walking around the Playboy mansion naked like a boss. Now, it's not a great look either way but one is a total idiot, the other is a smart idiot with a chance to win. Be the smart idiot with a chance to win.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He can shoot. He need to that in volume. One thing Cam proved at Duke is he shoots better the more he shoots. He is like a bruising running back and 30 carries. 

I’m gonna respectfully disagree here. If he shoots and shoots alone without showing at least the threat of possessing other skills it’s easier for teams to game plan for him vs if he learns the all around game and just doesn’t chuck the ball.

Plus it’s still a team game and as much as we want individual success for Cam, we want Hawks success first and foremost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m gonna respectfully disagree here. If he shoots and shoots alone without showing at least the threat of possessing other skills it’s easier for teams to game plan for him vs if he learns the all around game and just doesn’t chuck the ball.

Plus it’s still a team game and as much as we want individual success for Cam, we want Hawks success first and foremost.

I tell posters this all of the time. I got every Cam stat on deck even more than the Trae ones. If I say it, you better believe it. 

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I’m not sure how those tweets are refuting my original statements in the previous post but sure. Again I love Cam for 3 if it’s there but it’s almost as if ur sacrificing the entire Hawks offense for the good of developing Cam which I am not on board with specially when we already have a superstar rising in Trae. 

If Cam were to take ill advised 3’s it would be to his own detriment and would hinder the development of the other players on our team.

The Hawks offense is basura mainly due to the starters. Mainly in part due to Cam's offensive ineptitude along with Len. I would say more Cam than Len. Cam spaced the floor well in the first three games but after that, teams are baiting Cam and doubling off of him while having backside help meaning cutting is not enough. You gotta shoot that bitch! 

Right now, the Hawks aren't getting enough shots from their starters and clearly aren't getting enough threes outside of from Trae. Hunter 4.4 per36 is wack but better than expected. Parker 5.3 is respectable af for a 4. Cam's 5.1 is flat out embarrassing and clownish considering he was getting 9-11 per36 on limited touches at Duke. Len is getting them up at a respectable clip but 13% from 3 is tough but it's still decent for a 5. Last year, Kev was giving us 6.2 per36 which is low for a 2. Bazemore was getting 6.6 per36 as a 3 which is decent for a 3. Not the shooters position as a 2 is. Prince was giving 7.3 for a 3 which is quality for a 3. 

If you can't get threes up, you need to do like Hunter. Be efficient and of quality from mid range and in the paint. Hunter has been that. Parker been efficient offensively, so has Collins. Len been awful but Cam. I don't know who this guy is. 55% of jumpers aren't threes. WTF! A damn joke! 

• Like 1

Threes even missed good for spacing.

Strips bad, slows down offense, creates helter skelter. 

Live turnovers, bad especially from Cam has he mainly is our transition defense. We are a great defense when discipline and terrible when loose. We can't afford turnovers from anyone other than Trae. Especially live turnovers.

I see zero reason for Cam to shoot less than 75% of his shots as 3s. I only want to see 3s moving forward unless someone over pursues and Cam gets an open lane to fd up shit. Other than that, dribble pullups, double screen, someone goes under, shoot the three, movement, stepback, catch and shoots. I want high end variance threes. Nothing but. This is really making me angry. I hate to see Cam get slandered like this.

Not sure which player or coach told him to attack and attack. He might can do it once or twice in a game but in reality, the guy is a shooter. That's what he is.

8 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I just think it's asking too much of a guy who's probably close to two years removed from his last great game to have the blind confidence of putting up 10 shots in a game, particularly from 3. 

At this point that could be game/team/psyche breaking.  You don't want players asking "why are we doing this?" and we don't want Cam asking "why am I doing this?"  Take it slow, let him build confidence and string together a couple week's worth of effective games before you decide "hey, we want you leading the league in 3PAs."

I've never seen this board in such terrible posting form. All of the great posters are on the wrong side of the boat on this one. 

He had at least 8 great offensive games considering his role last year. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cam-reddish-1/gamelog/2019/

He literally was taking over 10 per36 for most of the season. That's what I want for his mins. 7-9 threes a game. I am fine with that. 

Cam is not going to build confidence shooting 1-9 mostly mid range and paint shots and 3 turnovers. 

But 5-12 and 4-10 from three with no turnovers and 5fts will. 17/5/2 no turnovers and great defense. Now you talking my language. VC is shooting 17% and guess what, it don't matter cause volume is KING

• Premium Member

Pierce's plan for Reddish.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/rookie-cam-reddish-focused-steady-improvement-amid-shooting-struggles/g3QG7BbXGGa2eJbqEgrEkO/amp.html

The biggest areas of improvement for Reddish, per Pierce, is to stay shot-ready and balanced, control the tempo so as to not let defenses speed him up and attack the rim when his outside shot won’t go (for example, DeAndre’ Bembry has only taken five 3’s all season, making one, but goes into “attack mode,” as Pierce calls it, and is 59 percent from the field). 

“The focus is really just to play with pace, to play through contact and to be shot-ready,” Pierce said. “I think those are the areas of focus for him on the perimeter. Having his body and his hands ready to shoot. Sometimes, he’s such an upright player that he’s got to get to his shot. He should already be ready for his shot. With the basketball, we want all our guys to attack it downhill, that’s how we’ll create more shots and 3’s for other guys.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m from the Crazy 80’s and certainly no PC policeman or moderator but this is a tight-knit online community.  No need for referring to people who don’t agree with your volume 3 pointer premise (which is pretty much everybody) as “idiots” Supes.  We know you get passionate about your stances.  Just watch some tape of Al and cool out.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1