• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The pressure Trae is under right now is absurd...

REHawksFan

• Moderators

I can accept the argument that this roster is so lacking in depth that it's demoralizing.  I can't believe we're back to 'let's go get a great center' to fix it argument though.   It's even  more apparent that that's pretty far down the list of problems.   Maybe wings that can shoot....and walk without a limp?  A PF with more than 10 games experience? a backup PG?  Put Steven Adams on this team and we're still losing by double digits without JC, Heurt, VC.   

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AHF said:

Jay's point is more that this is a very tough time of year to trade for value.  Criticizing the summer is clean right now there may be no good deal out there.  Can't criticize a GM for not doing a good deal now if there isn't one to be had.

It’s a fair enough point, but I addressed that already too. It isn’t that hard to upgrade some of the glaring holes we have. We could’ve came into the season and upgraded those positions for pennies without signing a bad contract. We chose to stay in complete rebuild mode. We need to start moving away from that because we aren’t going to be able to just flip the switch like LA or Boston. Free agents, historically, are repelled by the Hawks and our reputation.So start shifting gears in the direction of putting respectable NBA players out on the floor. Start mixing in more veteran journeymen. Do anything other than field a bad roster hoping to get a good pick because we’ve got pieces to work with now. 

That’s the point I’m making and to imply it would’ve been challenging to upgrade from Len or Damian Jones doesn’t make a whole lot of sense from my point of view. It’s almost like..someone is being contentious for the sake of being contentious. I could be wrong, but that’s how I took it.

It isn’t about the specifics and never was. It’s about the front office now having to make a decision whether to stay in full on rebuild mode or start trying to win. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Given the way the season has gone, I would be looking for another lottery pick as GM.  Any moves I made would be for a better environment for developing our young talent — not about winning more games this year.

I predicted 37 wins which I figured would be late lottery. Not a tank season, but just growing pains of a young developing core. JC thru a wrench in that.

We have 17 games to go before JC is eligible to return. Brutal stretch of games until the end of November. December looks better.  What we do with the roster will be determined by out record at the deadline. It's not looking good thus far.

We are currently 4-9. How many games of the 17 do we win until JC (and Huerter) returns?

After JC comes back, we play 23 game before the trade deadline February 7th. How many do we win with JC and hopefully Huerter back? (And no more injuries).

Now would be a good time for one of our rookies to step up and help out Trae. Show us what you got youngins.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AHF said:

Given the way the season has gone, I would be looking for another lottery pick as GM.  Any moves I made would be for a better environment for developing our young talent — not about winning more games this year.

One thing you’re missing AHF that Coach Pierce (and Schlenk FWIW) has touched on is there are only so many coaches on staff and only so many guys you can develop at one time.

We’ve got 5-7 players already who all need real deal development. Then you throw another 2 or 3 on top of that. For what ? 

Somebody is going to get neglected. This is why a guy like VC was/is so important to our roster. 

But whatever. I’ll revisit this thread at a later date after all the chips have fallen. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I predicted 37 wins which I figured would be late lottery. Not a tank season, but just growing pains of a young developing core. JC thru a wrench in that.

We have 17 games to go before JC is eligible to return. Brutal stretch of games until the end of November. December looks better.  What we do with the roster will be determined by out record at the deadline. It's not looking good thus far.

We are currently 4-9. How many games of the 17 do we win until JC (and Huerter) returns?

After JC comes back, we play 23 game before the trade deadline February 7th. How many do we win with JC and hopefully Huerter back? (And no more injuries).

Now would be a good time for one of our rookies to step up and help out Trae. Show us what you got youngins.

They heard me. :good:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

One thing you’re missing AHF that Coach Pierce (and Schlenk FWIW) has touched on is there are only so many coaches on staff and only so many guys you can develop at one time.

We’ve got 5-7 players already who all need real deal development. Then you throw another 2 or 3 on top of that. For what ? 

Somebody is going to get neglected. This is why a guy like VC was/is so important to our roster. 

But whatever. I’ll revisit this thread at a later date after all the chips have fallen. 

Right now the only guys who matter Forn development are Trae, Cam, Hunter and Bruno.  That is manageable.  

15 hours ago, AHF said:

Right now the only guys who matter Forn development are Trae, Cam, Hunter and Bruno.  That is manageable.  

Collins and Huerter as well. You could argue either way for Bembry. I imagine Damian Jones was a “developmental” acquisition too. That could be debatable too. Then we could add another 2-3 more guys to that the next off season. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Everyone needs development. I don't and will never have an issue with that. That's the one thing I loved about Coach Bud and LP is they are new school

That's the truth.  You never know who is going to end up being on the team long term.  Who would have thought a few years ago that Baze and Bembry would be the longest tenured Hawks in consecutive seasons.    Or that Prince and Dennis would be gone already.  Coaches have to develop and see what happens.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
10 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Collins and Huerter as well. You could argue either way for Bembry. I imagine Damian Jones was a “developmental” acquisition too. That could be debatable too. Then we could add another 2-3 more guys to that the next off season. 

Collins and Huerter aren't playing for another month but I agree that they are in the mix when they return.  Neither of them takes the same level of developmental focus as the rookies, though.  

Damian Jones doesn't require coaching assets to develop, IMO.  You give him coaching like everyone, obviously, but he hasn't shown enough to be worth extra focus.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Collins and Huerter aren't playing for another month but I agree that they are in the mix when they return.  Neither of them takes the same level of developmental focus as the rookies, though.  

Damian Jones doesn't require coaching assets to develop, IMO.  You give him coaching like everyone, obviously, but he hasn't shown enough to be worth extra focus.

I disagree. All players require extra coaching. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree. All players require extra coaching. 

We must be using those words differently.  If everyone requires "extra coaching", that isn't actually "extra."  That is the normal amount of coaching someone should get.

I am talking about "extra" attention that you can't afford to give to everyone on the roster because you just don't have enough time or enough bodies to give everyone that level of attention.  If you are talking about something everyone requires, that is just normal coaching not extra coaching.

And I agree that there is a baseline level of development and coaching that every player needs.  However, I want the Hawks to invest the extra resources in our most promising players.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Development?  Did anyone realize that Damian Jones, having been in the NBA for a while, actually has played fewer NBA hours in games than Trae?

:applause: 

He needs it for sure.  Just to be clear, per my last post when I'm talking about focusing developmental resources on people I'm talking about abnormal levels of attention given to player development.  I don't think Jones is worth the resources for that.  Give him the normal development focus you would any inexperienced player like him and see if he can improve.   Hopefully he will!

• Premium Member

In a lot of ways, Young’s rapid improvement contrasts with where the Hawks are as a franchise; while the rest of the basketball world has caught on to how good Young is already, Atlanta is 4-13 and going through the growing pains of a young team. But both the Hawks’ coaching staff and their front office have the same long-term goal—to build a contender around Young. Even if it requires time, there is no greater value in the NBA than having both a plan and a star. The Hawks continue to look like they have both.

• Like 3

• Moderators

So I'm playing 2k and Doris Burke says Trae Young "is not someone you think of as creating for others".   WTF?????  Trae is in the midst of the most unnoticed, historic first two years in the modern NBA.  I think most of the fans of this league and a lot of the pundits have no clue what Trae is actually doing.   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3