The Jabari Parker Conundrum

Wurider05

Jabari Parker   PPG--18.4   RPG-- 6.1    APG--1.5    BPG--0.6   FG: 55% 

What do we do with this guy?  He is balling out right now and dunking without impunity. He is playing solid D. There is no concern about his athletic ability, his bounce or his mobility. He is on a 2 year contract with a player option for the 2nd year.  We are going to have the money to pay him or trade him somewhere where they will sign him long term. If we keep him he has to start. Does that mean John is the center or do we move John.? I keep forgetting that Jabari is only 24 years old. This is one hell of a problem to have as I didn't realize how good he is. I have no doubt that he will maintain this level of play and he may be averaging 22+ by the time John comes back. 

How do you all see this playing out? 

• Premium Member

He's getting a chance to prove he still has 'it' and will probably look to leverage that into a multi-year contract with a team that gives him a chance to start.  I'd love to see him remain here and become like Lou Williams, a sniper off the bench.  At 24, I can understand if he is looking for long term security with a big contract.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jabari is not that good. He is like Harrell, just better offensively and worse on defense. 

I see Parker as the PF verison of Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford.

Whatever Harrell gets from LAC is likely what Parker will get. 4/40-4/45 mostly likely

And no OP, his defense has decidedly NOT been anything close to solid.  Well, to be fair, he's been ok(ish) but has had consistent non-hustle plays and missed rotations that have been killers.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jabari is not that good. He is like Harrell, just better offensively and worse on defense. 

I see Parker as the PF verison of Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford.

Whatever Harrell gets from LAC is likely what Parker will get. 4/40-4/45 mostly likely

He'll probably get more than that. It only takes one team to bite.

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He'll probably get more than that. It only takes one team to bite.

I agree, I see him getting 16-20 mil per year, 4 yr 40 mill would be a steal. Hell, Taurean freaking Prince just got 14.5 mil per year.

Edited by BudBall
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BudBall said:

I agree, I see him getting 16-20 mil per year, 4 yr 40 mill would be a steal. Hell, Taurean freaking Prince just got 14.5 mil per year.

Yes if he keeps this up, 15 per will be the minimum, and as high as 20 per. Teams are not handing out the 4 or 5 years deals as readily anymore though. I would offer 2 years at 30 million and try to negotiate from there.

Edited by bleachkit

23 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I'd love for him to continue on this pace and then and then ship him West for a few future picks.  

I am 50/50 on it. We got to start fielding a decent team at some point and using some of this capspace. Too much of a losing culture can start to have negative effects on our young players.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I'd love for him to continue on this pace and then and then ship him West for a few future picks.  

I don't want any more unproven players unless they can be a franchise player.  I would even trade the Hawks 2020 pick for a Young Veteran if it is not in the top 5.

43 minutes ago, BudBall said:

I am 50/50 on it. We got to start fielding a decent team at some point and using some of this capspace. Too much of a losing culture can start to have negative effects on our young players.

Yeah, when I say future I mean 2021 at the earliest.  Around the time the league shifts again.

14 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I don't want any more unproven players unless they can be a franchise player.  I would even trade the Hawks 2020 pick for a Young Veteran if it is not in the top 5.

well you have to keep the talent flowing with cheap rookie deals or one bad contract/injury will kill you.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

It all depends on his market price... if it's reasonable then yes, we should absolutely keep him. More than likely he will get offered something in the 17-20 million dollar a year range, and we have enough cap-space to be able to offer something along that range, the key for us is if we can keep him by offering no more than a 3 year deal. After three years we are gonna have to start paying Trae the max, and our cap-situation will not be good. If I had to put a number on the odds of Jabari being a Hawk past this season, it would be something like 30-35%.

• Like 1