• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae hater, Bill Simmons: Luka is the best 20yo in NBA history

NBASupes

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

While I agree with this statement, it's also pretty undeniable that Luka is flat out balling right now, and is on the borderline of being unstoppable.  He's damn near averaging a triple double and his advanced metrics are off the charts.  When you run the numbers, literally no one in the history of basketball has done what he's doing this season, at his age.  Just think if he could make more of those tough 3 pointers that he's taking?  He'd be averaging 35 ppg.

What he's doing right now at his age, has only been done by Oscar Robertson ( at age 22 and 23 ).  Russell Westbrook did it a few years ago, when he averaged his first triple-double.

For Hawks fans, some of them just need to stop watching Luka, and wishing "what if".   

If Luka is Beyonce . . and Trae is Rihanna . . don't be mad because you're not dating Beyonce.  Be happy that you're dating freakin' Rihanna.

I agree.  It's why I choice historically people in other sports.  Luka is the real deal, but after watching Matt Ryan's career here, I'm not convinced Luka and Atlanta would have worked.

24 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I agree.  It's why I choice historically people in other sports.  Luka is the real deal, but after watching Matt Ryan's career here, I'm not convinced Luka and Atlanta would have worked.

If anything, Luka would have been more loved by the same Matt Ryan diehards who say they don't like the NBA. 

I like Luka's game but i love High BBIQ players. I love Harden. I love Luka. Obviously Trae's. 

8 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Why don't teams send double-teams at Lukawhen he's handling the ball?  when I watch high lights of him there is always only 1 guy guarding him.  

Because he's too big and he'll just pass the ball right over top of them.  And if you can stay in front of Luka, you want him taking that step back 3 that he loves to take so much, because he doesn't make that shot at a high rate yet.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Luka has more flavor and charisma than Matt Ryan. There's more to it than just being white.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

He and others identify with him.  The same way folks identified with Tiger and the Williams sisters.  When you feel unrepresented in a sport and then someone comes along that is shoulder to shoulder with the better players it is magic.

His numbers are off the charts, unprecedented. To dismiss Luka as white hype is unfair and untrue. Now, if we check back in a few years and the Mavs haven't accomplished much, then that might be a fair criticism. But averaging 30/10/9 and age 20 is not white hype. I think he has almost put himself in a bind, because now people expect him to sustain this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But if it makes everyone feel better, Trae is having an all-time historic season as well.

When you look at the history of the NBA, and you look at guys who have averaged 27 ppg - 8 asst - 4 rebs - and shot at least 36% from 3, only 2 guys in the history of the NBA has done this.

- Lebron James and James Harden in 2017 - 2018

- and Trae Young this season

Like I said.  If Luka is Beyonce.  Trae is Rihanna.  Both are ICONS in this generation and the fans of both camps can find legitimate reasons to love one over the other.

In retrospect though, Luka was worth way more than top 5 protected first. Of course no one knew that at the time. I still say we could have gotten more from the Mavs, Travis had them over a barrel. We really could have drafted Luka and then made a trade with Orlando to get Trae. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Race plays a role with Simmons. This is the same guy who said Goran Dragic is better than Kyle Lowry and Kamba Walker a couple of years ago. You really can't take him seriously 

He was one of the highest paid people at ESPN at one time, he started 30 for 30, Grantland, did a lot of NBA stuff. But they didn't renew his contract because he would say controversial things about the NFL. I'm not going to accuse him of racial bias because he happens to like Luka or whoever, but he is an arrogant a**hole at times, and he never admits when he's wrong, like a lot of media. Although he was right about Luka and he deserves credit for that, he never admits he was wrong about Trae.

• Like 4

A thread about Luka and Bill Simmons is the last thing we need on here. Luka is the next (current?) big thing. Better to stop fighting it and learn to deal now because it’s only going to get more intense as he continues to break records and thrive in the clutch.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

His numbers are off the charts, unprecedented. To dismiss Luka as white hype is unfair and untrue. Now, if we check back in a few years and the Mavs haven't accomplished much, then that might be a fair criticism. But averaging 30/10/9 and age 20 is not white hype. I think he has almost put himself in a bind, because now people expect him to sustain this.

Where did I suggest he was White hype? I compared him to Tiger Woods.  Plainly said he was shoulder to shoulder with the better players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think he means that white people would naturally gravitate toward a dominant white player in the NBA, like black people did with Tiger in golf and the Williams sisters in tennis.   Luka is definitely making a case in his young career to be an all time great.

I know it's against a depleted Golden State team, but Luka has 33 points in the 1st half and has only missed 1 shot all game.  He's unusually hot from 3 tonight ( 6 - 7 ).  He's definitely the real deal and deserving of all of the accolades he receives.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think he means that white people would naturally gravitate toward a dominant white player in the NBA, like black people did with Tiger in golf and the Williams sisters in tennis.   Luka is definitely making a case in his young career to be an all time great.

I know it's against a depleted Golden State team, but Luka has 33 points in the 1st half and has only missed 1 shot all game.  He's unusually hot from 3 tonight ( 6 - 7 ).  He's definitely the real deal and deserving of all of the accolades he receives.

I think people (GM's, scouts, etc) didn't appreciate the fact that an 18 year old was the best player in Europe. European ball is no joke, most D1 NCAA players wouldn't make it there, and to be that good that young is just unheard of. 

Edited by bleachkit