• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Bruno damnit!

NBASupes

I went to the game and well Bruno looked better. He’s communicating better on D. Had a few lazy turnovers like a careless pass after a rebound. He’s not that great of a help defender YET. Sometimes he rotated and was in position. He just needs minutes whether that’s here or the G league.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Powerful Stuff!

At 9:46 a.m., his life changed forever. Fernando’s phone rang. 

Natalia David, Fernando’s mother, had died. She was 56 years old. In the months leading up to her death, she started complaining about stomach pain. Stomach inflammation was one of her main symptoms. She and his family would not give Fernando a straight answer as to why she was in and out of the hospital since July. The stomach pain then led to him being told it was diabetes. Two weeks before she died, Fernando was finally told the truth. It was pancreatic cancer.

Fernando, who is the seventh of eight children, is the only member of his family in America. Mostly everyone in his family, other than Fernando, knew Natalia had cancer for at least a month prior to her death. She didn’t want him to know because she felt like she was going to negatively impact his career because of the worry he would feel for his mom. Every time Fernando told her about a bad game, she feared he was focusing too much on her health. So she told everyone to hide her cancer diagnosis from him.

This past Christmas was the second-to-last time Fernando saw his mother alive. 

The final time Fernando got to see his mother on the phone was New Year’s Day, just three days before she died. Her body grew frail, while her mind was still as sharp as ever, but she knew her time left was limited. She told her son how the family needed to stay together and find ways to love each other more than ever before. Her final lesson to him was to forgive. Always forgive. Forgive God that he gave her this disease that was going to eventually take her life, she said. She believed that forgiveness was the only thing they can offer. The more you forgive, the more you can live the way you’re supposed to, she’d tell him.

So he did that when he received the phone call that awoke him on Jan. 4. He then went to work and started preparing for that night’s game against the Indiana Pacers. Fernando is truly his mother’s son because he didn’t tell the coaching staff and his teammates until 30 minutes before the game. His mother didn’t want to affect her son’s career with her cancer diagnosis; he didn’t want to affect the team’s chances of winning that night. But he couldn’t hold the news to himself any longer.

“I didn’t want anyone here to feel sorry for me,” Fernando said. “I didn’t want anyone to be sad, and I didn’t want to ruin anyone else’s day because of what happened to me. I just wanted to play.”

The Hawks won. Fernando started and played 21 minutes that night in one of his best games of the season. He played in one more game before flying home for her funeral.

• Sad 8

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He should be able to take Dedmon's spot.  If he can't, this will be his last season in the NBA.

Also, he should play an equal amount of PF and C, with the Hawks staying big at all times.  The biggest thing he can work on this offseason ( if he has access to a basketball court or hoop ), is to work on his jumper.

• Premium Member
On 2/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Powerful Stuff!

So this explains what was going on when Bruno was missing games but no one wanted to say why, right?

Thought it might be something like this, but dunno why it was hush-hush. Guess Bruno must have specifically asked for it to be that way.

Tough, especially so young and especially so far from home.

Might have affected his concentration to some degree both during her illness and following her passing--so, effectively, most of his rookie season.

• Sad 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:19 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Powerful Stuff!

I knew there had to be something to how his season played out.  The way he handled his mother’s death and how it related to the team tells you all you need to know about his makeup.  Can’t have enough tough, low-maintenance guys.

• Like 4

I look at the 12.7 minutes per and just cringe.  I have no hopes of him extending his range but if he cleans up the FT shooting and fouling he should put up an efficient 20 minutes consistently based on his ruggedness, close range efficiency,  low turnovers, and passing chops that are gonna catch a lot of people by surprise once we get better movement. A .055 WS/48 is actually great considering his off court tragedy and poorly defined role.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I have no hopes of him extending his range

Then I balance you out b/c I have high hopes he can/will. 🙂 

The scouting reports this time last year were similarly bullish, at least the ones I saw, and mostly based on his form, less on his small sample size % as a terrapin. Looking back, I don't know why anyone thought John Collins couldn't prove to be very good outside the arc, because the same thing could be seen with his shot in college.

Here's a fluffy homer piece by a Maryland blogger, but she makes some good points, imo....

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-basketball/2019/4/23/18511564/bruno-fernando-nba-draft-scouting-report-shooting-passing-athleticism

2020-04-12_1345.png

• Like 2