NBASupes

How would you rate this roster? (Before Thanksgiving, 2019)

I'll give it a C+ at this time with a potential range of A

Note: This may change by Christmas, ASB, end of the regular season and playoffs. Players can show more or less as the season goes along. Trae by this time last year was a C- and ended the year a B-. 

Trae - B+ - potential (A) franchise

Collins - B- - potential (B+ to A-) core

Huerter - C+ - potential (B-) core

Hunter - C - potential (B- to A-) franchise 

Reddish - D+ - potential (B- to A+) project 

Bruno - D - potential (B- to B) project

Bembry - C- potential (C) rotation

Parker - C+ - potential (C+) rotation

Turner - C- potential (C-) replaceable 

Jones - D+ potential (C-) replaceable

Len - C- potential (C-) replaceable

VC - C- potential (C-) last year in the NBA

Crabbe - C- potential (C-) replaceable

Wallace - D - potential (D) scrub

Parsons - D - potential (D) scrub

Right now, we have 8 players on rookie deals. Six truly young players with potential. No decent vets. What we need long term is to add more young talent. Two picks in 2020 will help. We also need to address the starting 5 spot. We also need to add better vets. Right now, Parker who is a young vet is the only one above a C which isn't that good. Turner is playing for his life to prove he is the backup for 2020 and 2021 but we still need to address the PG spot in the draft for development reasons. 

I don't think Atlanta should draft for need. If the best player by our lottery slot is a wing or a PF, they should draft that player. We simply don't have enough young talent. Look at teams like Boston. They don't have a Tyrone Wallace getting minutes or a Damian Jones. D's go to the G-League on their roster or they get spot minutes at best.  

What Atlanta needs is to continue developing their players as many have very high ceilings, build a culture with the right players, and make good decisions. 

If I had to target free agents, here would be my top targets as of this day, it may change soon: 

Starting Centers: 

1. Baynes

2. Serge Ibaka

3. Tristan Thompson

Backup centers

1. Jahlil Okafor

2. Alex Len

3. Robin Lopez

Backup PG: 

1. Jeff Teague

2. D.J. Augustin

3. Evan Turner

4. Kris Dunn

Backup wings: 

1. Bembry

2. Craig from DEN (Solid player, doubt he leaves)

3. Kenrich Williams ( I think he's a steal) think DMC when he left Utah. 

4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Min)

5. Josh Jackson (Min) 

Backup 4s

1. Parker (resign him)

It's a bad year for backup SG's, Crabbe might be one of the best on the market (LOL)

Only player that appeals to me is E'Twaun Moore.

• Like 1

I hate to say anything negative about Baze but in truth how far off is Hunter from being better than Baze already?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hate to say anything negative about Baze but in truth how far off is Hunter from being better than Baze already?

He was better the second he touched the floor. I kid, I love Baze as a person. If we are in championship mode in 2-3 years I wouldn’t mind bringing in an aging Baze for a ring! He spent some good years here.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I used to squint my eyes

I used to eat popcorn 🍿 and nod..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Bazemore has regressed but what Bazemore was for us this time last year, he was our best player. 

Baze has been horrific on 2pt shooting this year.  Career lows in about every category 16 feet and closer.  He is a career 60% shooter from near the rim and this year he is shooting 40.9%.  I think some of that will see positive regression for him.  Even as inconsistent as he has been over the years from season to season, these numbers stand out as probably unsustainably bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My rating is based on what I've seen so far, so I'm definitely handing out a few Fs:

Collins gets an F for failing his drug test (ask again when he returns)

Len gets an F - based on how he ended the year last year shooting vs this year, YUCK...and he's still missing BUNNIES, can't CATCH, fumbling away gorgeous passes, gets blocked by the RIM

Parsons - F

The rest are fine.

Read the thread title and immediately thought:  "JC gets an F for being a F'n bonehead and F'ing this team up"

I'll give Len a C- because I think his early struggles are more to do with his ankle and being misplaced as a starter. Off the bench I think he's serviceable. 

Trae gets a B+ from me but if we grading on a curve he gets an A+ with bonus points cuz he's THAT much better than errrrbody else. 

I give Parker a B- cuz I think he's filled in nicely for bonehead even though I think he's best off the bench. 

I give D. Jones a C+ cuz I fully expected him to be an F but he's better than I thought. 

I give D Hunter a C. He needs to be more aggressive imo. Gets lost too easily. 

I give Reddish a D+ mainly due to his shot. But his defense has a redeeming quality to it. 

I give Gramps (VC) an A- cuz he's 42 yrs old and I'm 40 and bout pass out just thinking about running up and down the floor for 15 min/gm  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bazemore has regressed but what Bazemore was for us this time last year, he was our best player. 

🤔 I’d still say Trae. I know he had a bad first half but Trae all day even last year over Baze.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

🤔 I’d still say Trae. I know he had a bad first half but Trae all day even last year over Baze.

Not sure about that. Trae had a bad November and a chucking fast Oct. At this time last year, Baze was our best player in my eyes. Trae wasn't even close. I had Dedmon, Lin, old VC, ahead of Trae at this point. In December, Trae closed the gap and then just flat out lapped everyone in Jan and never looked back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Not sure about that. Trae had a bad November and a chucking fast Oct. At this time last year, Baze was our best player in my eyes. Trae wasn't even close. I had Dedmon, Lin, old VC, ahead of Trae at this point. In December, Trae closed the gap and then just flat out lapped everyone in Jan and never looked back. 

Wasn't Baze getting close to losing his starting job to Heurt at this point?

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Wasn't Baze getting close to losing his starting job to Heurt at this point?

Nope! He was great for his expectations till this point. He became ass starting next week throughout December of last year. 

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Collins was our best player last season.

John hasn't played a game yet at this time last year. Edit: Only three games. I was looking at total games. John didn't play till game 16. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I missed your "this time last year" part of the statement.  Our best player this time last year was the strongest guy in a room full of weaklings.  

14 ppg on 46% FG% / 32% FG%, 4.2 rpg, 1.9 apg last year

Kind of a solid 4-6 guy on a playoff team.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nope! He was great for his expectations till this point. He became ass starting next week throughout December of last year. 

John hasn't played a game yet at this time last year. Edit: Only three games. I was looking at total games. John didn't play till game 16. 

You made me take a “like” away from AHF due to Collins missing time. But still Collins may still have been the best. I’ll put the like back for a valiant effort. 😊 

• Haha 1

Move Kenrich Williams to the top of the list in terms of quality backup wings and add Nerlens Noel to the starting center list above Thompson. 

If I had to target free agents, here would be my top targets as of this day, it may change soon: 

Starting Centers: 

1. Baynes

2. Nerlens Noel

3. Serge Ibaka

4. Tristan Thompson

Backup centers

1. Jahlil Okafor

2. Alex Len

3. Robin Lopez

Backup PG: 

1. Jeff Teague

2. D.J. Augustin

3. Evan Turner - vet min

4. Kris Dunn - vet min

Backup wings: 

1. Kenrich Williams ( I think he's a steal) think DMC when he left Utah. 

2. Bembry (resign)

3. Craig from DEN (Solid player, doubt he leaves)

4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (vet Min)

5. Josh Jackson (Min) 

Backup 4s

1. Parker (resign him)

Hawks got 70 million. They need to use 50-60 on these players. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Backup PG: 

1. Jeff Teague

2. D.J. Augustin

3. Evan Turner - vet min

4. Kris Dunn - vet min

What about Frankie Ntilikina? Any word on if NY would let go of him and Mitchell Rob (as cap mentioned early in the day as well) in a package 📦 for us? I was impressed with both players and the fit and timeline for them on our squad. Although it would probably cost us but I’d be willing to dangle in the Brooklyn pick with another asset. NY would probably want more though.