• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nerlens Noel Watch - FA 2020 (Center) - Starting Potential

NBASupes

A 2020 free agent target

Positives - One of the best defensive box in the NBA who is tremendous at all defensive metrics for a 5. 

Sets solid screens

Improved shooter

Improved BBIQ

Improved discipline

Defensive versatility 

Exceptional defensive talent

Efficient and extremely athletic laterally and agile

Good PnR finisher 

Negatives

Hasn't started consistently. NBA starting is different than being a center off the bench. 

Size 

Offensive range

Strength, more of an issue v. starting 5s

Touch

Can he play bigger minutes v. tougher bigs? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

I like Nerlens just for his defense alone.

His defense has always been great but he is in the same league overall as Len where went you watched them, it was clear they didn't add enough offensive value and defensively, they have strengths but clear flaws except Len is better on O and Noel on D.

This Noel has completely separated himself on Len tier. I mean, him and Dwight Howard are the two most improved backup tier bigs in the NBA this year with Baynes. Howard and Noel have substantially improved. Baynes has improved a lot and looks like he can be a mid tier starting center. 

It's crazy to see his jump but I was expecting this same jump from Len before the season. I seen some improvements but honestly, he can't handle the starting role. Fit is an issue and starting centers is much better than the backups by a mile in this league.

This league is loaded with C- and D level centers but almost all that start are C+ and higher. The reason Dedmon got benched is he is a C level one who was a perfect fit with Trae and Collins and looked like a C+ when really he is a C level center at best. Shooting impacts his value a great deal.

• Like 1

The goals should be to always get a B- to B center no matter what at an extremely reasonable price. A- to A+ players are always the goal to but teams don't usually let those players go and those players write their place to play. 

You generally want to avoid the vastly overpaid B and lower level players. Even a guy like Steven Adams should be gotten with below average assets. He is a B- but paid like a B+. A B to B+ like Drummond who's paid like an A center should be avoided at all cost. 

Avoid paying B- or less players 20 million plus a year under the current rules. Even if they are in their rookie deals, it's hard to justify it at some point. 

• Moderators

Noel is definitely one of those stud defenders who will struggle with really big bodies down low.  Whether he can develop his offense is going to determine how big his role gets.  He is just improved across the board there so far this season.

• Moderators
On 11/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, kg01 said:

Was NewOrleans Noel in PHI while CLP was still there?  Could be a connection.

That's the insight I wanted to bring to the thread.  I totally did not log in to suggest AH liking the idea was just a Kentucky thing.  Totally. 😀

He is a price point guy but he should be a valuable defensive asset for someone.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, AHF said:

Noel is definitely one of those stud defenders who will struggle with really big bodies down low.  Whether he can develop his offense is going to determine how big his role gets.  He is just improved across the board there so far this season.

He pretty much like Jones offensively. Not quite the rim runner that Jones is but he is more of a threat off the PnR as he become a decent decision maker with the pass and his 15 ft jumper has been solid for OKC. He really seems to play very well with Gallo and Dennis and his defensive metrics is good with anyone on the court with him. I think he leads the NBA in defensive box plus or minus.