Ant 🐜 man 🤒

Spud2nique

This is the wrong year to be bad, while Ant is worth the pick, he too lacks a lot of polish. All of these freshman do in this class. 

Only the French PGs, Toppin, and Cole Anthony have Day 1 polish. This draft feels like the Jabari Parker one but without a Joel Embiid level prospect. Maybe some sleepers in the mix with development. 

I am almost leaning to Okongwu over Wiseman long term. I think he might be the best NBA prospect for winning and what we do over Wiseman. 

Wiseman got some serious flaws, especially reviewing the HS tape.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Wiseman

I absolutely hate to say this but why the hell is he starting to remind me of Dwight.. 😢. Extremely athleticism but some inefficient technique and I could see it tending to not win on an NBA level if he’s ur main feature.

Having said that, him and Trae still intrigue me playing together.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

I absolutely hate to say this but why the hell is he starting to remind me of Dwight.. 😢. Extremely athleticism but some inefficient technique and I could see it tending to not win on an NBA level if he’s ur main feature.

Having said that, him and Trae still intrigue me playing together.

He doesn't have the explosiveness of old Dwight much less young Dwight. 

He to me is a blend of Jaxson Hayes and Hassan Whiteside but doesn't have what I want from Hayes in terms of the ability to guard the perimeter like a wing or the energy level. But his speed in transition is special and does remind you of Hayes. 

Like Whiteside, needs time to load and while he is a shot blocker, he is not a natural one like Hayes is. 

I am not sure that this is a center you can win with but the talent is ample and he is not raw so it's better than a number of guys. It's his upside that I question. 

Not a shooter, not a passer, is a natural scorer but shys from contact, wants to shoot than bang like Josh Smith, can defend in space but doesn't always want to, too aggressive on blocking shots and losing positioning, and doesn't have the best natural drive. Tremendous rebounding instincts. Is day 1 in that department. 

I feel like he is a risk. Not as much as Andre Drummond as a prospect but he is no Ayton. I would go so far to say he is no WCJ either. I think WCJ is a better prospect just considering how the game is played today. I think he will need time to adjust like the other bigs in this class. I don't see an Ayton or WCJ. I don't see a day 1 starter who can help you win games. 

For me, it's simple for center.

Best talent - Wiseman

Best fit - Okongwu 

Best NBA fit - Okongwu 

Most NBA ready - None

Best passer - None are any good this year.

Best shooter - Zeke Nnaji

Check this article out:

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/12/03/nba-mock-draft-onyeka-okongwu-film-center-james-wiseman/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He doesn't have the explosiveness of old Dwight much less young Dwight. 

He to me is a blend of Jaxson Hayes and Hassan Whiteside but doesn't have what I want from Hayes in terms of the ability to guard the perimeter like a wing or the energy level. But his speed in transition is special and does remind you of Hayes. 

Like Whiteside, needs time to load and while he is a shot blocker, he is not a natural one like Hayes is. 

I am not sure that this is a center you can win with but the talent is ample and he is not raw so it's better than a number of guys. It's his upside that I question. 

Not a shooter, not a passer, is a natural scorer but shys from contact, wants to shoot than bang like Josh Smith, can defend in space but doesn't always want to, too aggressive on blocking shots and losing positioning, and doesn't have the best natural drive. Tremendous rebounding instincts. Is day 1 in that department. 

I feel like he is a risk. Not as much as Andre Drummond as a prospect but he is no Ayton. I would go so far to say he is no WCJ either. I think WCJ is a better prospect just considering how the game is played today. I think he will need time to adjust like the other bigs in this class. I don't see an Ayton or WCJ. I don't see a day 1 starter who can help you win games. 

For me, it's simple for center.

Best talent - Wiseman

Best fit - Okongwu 

Best NBA fit - Okongwu 

Most NBA ready - None

Best passer - None are any good this year.

Best shooter - Zeke Nnaji

Check this article out:

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/12/03/nba-mock-draft-onyeka-okongwu-film-center-james-wiseman/

I’m an old school guy I like Onyeka.

An old-school rugged player who likes to mix it up in the paint, Onyeka doesn't get a lot of press but he's a great talent who should move up draft boards as the season progresses.

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I feel like he is a risk

Ya a bit. Man, I really didn’t expect us to have a top 7 pick but it’s shaping up that way. Again I still keep 🐜 Wise but I sell LaMelo.

We need to take a leap as a team. I hate being a treadmill lottery team. It’s fun getting in there for a rebuild for 3 season or so but if it’s more and if it’s in a row it becomes draining.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya a bit. Man, I really didn’t expect us to have a top 7 pick but it’s shaping up that way. Again I still keep 🐜 Wise but I sell LaMelo.

We need to take a leap as a team. I hate being a treadmill lottery team. It’s fun getting in there for a rebuild for 3 season or so but if it’s more and if it’s in a row it becomes draining.

The more and more I watch the games, I start to feel Obi Toppin is the best player in this class. He doesn't have the potential of the other top guys at all but he can shoot and take you off the dribble like Kuzma. Is a tremendous screener and finisher like John Collins as well as very explosive. He can switch on defense and has good lateral quickness like Kenyon Martin.

He might not ever be a superstar which Edwards and Ball can be one day, but unlike those two, he's not a million miles from where he will be and he already a tremendous prospect at PF. He has everything you want from a modern PF. The BBIQ, the feel for the game, speed, agility, skill. He doesn't have the size at 220 and likely will max out at 230 which is a big wing size but his explosiveness more than makes up for it.

Edited by NBASupes

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Obi Toppin

Isaac Austin modern day. I’d spend a 20-30 pick on a player like this. No way do I select a guy in the lottery. Something screams role player here to me. 

I will say I also wanted to stay away from Kuzma and Leaf. Those were my DO NOT DRAFTS in 2017.

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Isaac Austin modern day. I’d spend a 20-30 pick on a player like this. No way do I select a guy in the lottery. Something screams role player here to me. 

I will say I also wanted to stay away from Kuzma and Leaf. Those were my DO NOT DRAFTS in 2017.

Looking at Austin stats, they have nothing in common. Like nothing at all. 

I didn't care for Leaf, I felt he was a product of Lonzo Ball. I liked Kuzma. I thought he was like Antwan Jamison but for the modern generation. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

This draft feels like the Jabari Parker one but without a Joel Embiid level prospect. Maybe some sleepers in the mix with development. 

How so?

I remember the 'generational draft' stuff. Best since the 2003 draft.  I remember all the 'we should trade everthing' to move up talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How so?

I remember the 'generational draft' stuff. Best since the 2003 draft.  I remember all the 'we should trade everthing' to move up talk.

I don't mean hype, I mean quality. You got some good depth but the top guys are either raw or polished without a great deal of upside

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

🐜 man has a “Nique swag” about him. 😆 He reminds me of Nique a lot. Both his play on the court with the instincts and the way he speaks and his mannerisms. Anyone else see this too?

Yeah, he gets the home crowd into it really well. Dawgs have needed a lot of that stuff on the court for a while. Still think another year in the NCAA would be very good for him but know the big money is already waiting so figure those odds. 

• Like 2

This is Wheeler's second game after turning his ankle and he looks slower to me right now. Of course Hagans kinda does that to everyone really. Trying to make an excuse here I guess for Edwards ball handling for the game but as for scoring though he is always the opponents focus so you know there is a difficulty curve there. You can tell more and more that another year at this level would help immensely. Would be good for both him and UGA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

This is Wheeler's second game after turning his ankle and he looks slower to me right now. Of course Hagans kinda does that to everyone really. Trying to make an excuse here I guess for Edwards ball handling for the game but as for scoring though he is always the opponents focus so you know there is a difficulty curve there. You can tell more and more that another year at this level would help immensely. Would be good for both him and UGA. 

Regularly I’d love for kids to stay a couple years at school to sharpening their basketball and life skills. Selfishly in this case, I want him to come out. We won’t be in the lottery next year. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Know that fighting the flu has been part of the deal lately but Edwards has been more and more trying to rely on his three point shot and it simply is not there. On the other side of the ball his effort has been dwindling most of the year and it is at a very poor level as of now. Was on his bandwagon as a pick early this season but think if drafted our wait would be pretty long for a positive impact on the floor. He sure as hell won't improve our three point game in the near future which of course is an extreme need for us. Seriously needs another year of seasoning and it would help if the Dawg's offense had at least a little more controlled approach.

Haven't watched a full game in a long time out of disgust from Crean but from things I'm seeing, this kid would be better off just shutting it down instead of continuing to play. He apparently hasn't been fully right overall for a while after a couple monster games he had.

I'd even argue one thing he should consider is transferring to a blue blood because Crean is an awful coach. But that won't happen as this is a bad draft.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:17 AM, Thomas said:

Know that fighting the flu has been part of the deal lately but Edwards has been more and more trying to rely on his three point shot and it simply is not there. On the other side of the ball his effort has been dwindling most of the year and it is at a very poor level as of now. Was on his bandwagon as a pick early this season but think if drafted our wait would be pretty long for a positive impact on the floor. He sure as hell won't improve our three point game in the near future which of course is an extreme need for us. Seriously needs another year of seasoning and it would help if the Dawg's offense had at least a little more controlled approach.

I believe he also had a leg injury.  His three point form is pretty good and his free throws aren't terrible.  With NBA coaching, I believe his three point shot will be fine.  Remember how young he is.   The Hawks actually don't need much help with three point shooting.  Since the young guys have all been healthy, the three  point shooting has been pretty good over the past 15 or so games.  

On 2/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, Lurker said:

Haven't watched a full game in a long time out of disgust from Crean but from things I'm seeing, this kid would be better off just shutting it down instead of continuing to play. He apparently hasn't been fully right overall for a while after a couple monster games he had.

I'd even argue one thing he should consider is transferring to a blue blood because Crean is an awful coach. But that won't happen as this is a bad draft.

I think he'll be fine. He should def come out of this draft as a top five pick. Hopefully, Atlanta can get him and develop him slowly.  

He's more raw than Cam and Trae was. The only positive with Edwards is you can clearly see he will be good in the NBA if developed right like Jaylen Brown. Trae and Cam were boom or bust. Both needed to land in decent situations that fit them. 

Edwards just needs to land in one that doesn't start him too soon. For the Hawks, I've moved from the top 2 potential guys. I am on to the PGs more.