• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rookie Evaluation from an NBA Efficiency standpoint

TheNorthCydeRises

Bruno data looks better than the eye test. While Hunter and Cam data on offense matches the eye test. Defensively, they are much better eye test wise and it showed in the data when they were around Collins and Len but not so much Parker and Jones as expected.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bruno data looks better than the eye test. While Hunter and Cam data on offense matches the eye test. Defensively, they are much better eye test wise and it showed in the data when they were around Collins and Len but not so much Parker and Jones as expected.

LOL . . we got ran off the table in Spades, so I have a little time.

Just going to NBA.com, and looking at Bruno's assists, you can see what he does as a facilitator.   3 point makes are in Bold.  And-1s are in Bold

• Does a handoff to Trae at the 3 point line, while simultaneously setting a screen.  Trae gets fouled on a 3 in which he makes.
  • Receives a pass from Trae at the FT line, and hits a cutting Jabari down at the rim for a contested layup.

• Gets the ball at the left side of the top of the key, drives toward the basket, spins back to his right and hits Jabari for an open 3
  • Trae dribbles left side into a double team and forces up a shot, Bruno gets an offensive rebound while tapping the ball to Jabari for a dunk

• Bruno passes to Huerter on a ball rotation to the left side. Huerter goes across the 3 point line, uses the Bruno pick, and scores on a little floater in the lane
  • Bruno receives a pass out on the right side of the 3 point line. Bembry goes to the corner, Bruno passes to him. Bembry drives pass Ben Simmons for a layup

• Bruno receives a pass from Cam at the right side of the 3 point line. Trae goes right, then goes left behind Bruno, where he receives the handoff.  Bruno once again screens Trae's man as he's handing the ball off.  Trae hits a 3
  • Bruno receives the ball at the top of the key and dribbles left.  Hands the ball off to Wallace, who is cutting behind Bruno.  Bruno sets just enough of a screen to enable Wallace to drive to the basket for a layup

• Another handoff play involving Bruno, this time with Hunter.  Receives the ball at the 3 point line. Hunter fakes going left of Bruno, then goes back right.  Bruno hands off, sets a screen, and Hunter hits a long 2
  • Bruno grabs an offensive rebound and fires the ball out to Evan Turner at the 3 point line.  Turner drives into the paint, where JaMychal Green bumps him. Turner knocks down the pull up for an And-1

• Bruno receives a pass about 35 feet from the basket with 7 seconds left on the shot clock.  He takes 1 dribble and passes the ball to Bembry on the right side as Crabbe draws a defender cutting to the basket.  Bembry immediately attacks and catches the defender out of position, and makes a tough reverse layup on Montrezl Harrell
  • Bruno receives the ball from Bembry just outside the free throw line.  Off the ball, Trae runs to the right side of Bruno, then cuts to the left of him where Bruno hands the ball off to him.  Bruno hands off to Trae and screens his man.  Trae hits a running floater at the FT line

• A pattern is emerging.  Bruno receives a pass from Carter out on the left side of the 3 point line.  Crabbe goes behind Bruno and receives the handoff.  Bruno screens Crabbe's man.  This give Crabbe enough room to make a tough 3 pointer.
  • Bruno receives a behind the back pass from Turner in the lane, and Bruno is in position to do a post move to score on Robin Lopez.  Divencinzo(sp) tips the ball a little and Bruno loses the handle a bit.  Drawing 3 defenders, Bruno then kicks it out to Vince at the 3 point line, who fakes a pass to a wide open Hunter at the top of the 3 point line, and take a 3 himself and nails it

• Crabbe, who is about 35 feet away from the basket, fires a pass to Bruno on the right side.  Bruno takes 1 dribble and patiently waits for a cutting Crabbe to be in position to receive a perfect bounce pass from him. Crabbe floats in a layup over Siakam.
  • Turner dribbles at the FT line and sees a cutting Bruno in position to score at the rim. Once Bruno catches it though, he's doubled . Without any hesitation, he fires the ball to Hunter who is open at the time. Hunter catches a makes a 3 with a man running at him.

• Trae drives hard to the basket on the right side, and dishes to Bruno, who is briefly available for a score. As Bruno catches the ball, he is doubled.  He sees Parker casually drifting toward the basket, and give it to Jabari. Jabari, being the scorer that he is, does what Bruno didn't do, and forces it up over the big men, scores the basket, and gets an And-1.
  • Bruno strips the Minnesota ball handler after they've grabbed an offensive rebound.  Trae immediately goes to the corner.  Bruno finds him.  Easy 3 pointer by Trae.

• Bruno catches the ball at the top of the 3 point line, takes a few dribbles, and wants to hand the ball off to Jabari.  Giannis is aggressively trying to stay between Bruno and Jabari, but decides to pressure Bruno. Bruno calmly does an underhanded pass to Jabari on the right side, and he nails a 3.
  • Bruno gets the ball on the left side of the 3 point line, and waits for Jabari to come off of a screen on the right side.  He passes to Jabari.  Jabari makes an incredibly tough turnaround jumper from about 15 feet.

He has 20 assists on the season, with 8 of those assists being 3 point makes, simply because the guy knows how and when to get the ball to the shooter, and can set a screen on the shooter's man at the same time.   A big reason why the Hawks are only -8 total with Bruno on the floor, is because the offense just flows better when he's in the game, and the defense is normally not in complete collapse mode.

When your other bigs are ( -112 ) for Len . . and ( -99 ) for Jones, the coach almost HAS to give Bruno more minutes, preferably with our best players.  His entire skill set is not being utilized by this coaching staff.  If that means that you start all 3 rookies, so be it.  They're probably 3 of our top 5 defenders anyway.

Just because Jones can catch a Trae lob, doesn't mean that he's better for trae in the offense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Remember, all I'm doing here is comparing their numbers according to the minutes they're playing at their respective positions.  More minutes should = more production.  If your rank 22nd in minutes at PF, but you're 16th in scoring among PFs, I'm giving you a ( +6 ).  If you're 32nd in assists, I'm giving you a ( -10 ).

Whether you believe that this is a scientific metric or not, there is some correlation to this.  It's very interesting when you look at the other players on the roster, when I do the same thing with their efficiency numbers at their respective positions.  There is something that jumps out at you.  I'll post the rookies again, while doing the rest of the team.

Trae Young ( 5th in minutes played at PG )

• PPG ( +2 )
  • Rebs ( -9 )
  • Asst ( +4 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency: ( +2 )

Jabari Parker ( 21st in minutes played at PF )

• PPG ( +12 )
  • Rebs ( +4 )
  • Asst ( +7 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency:  ( +12 )

Damian Jones ( 44th in minutes played at C )

• PPG ( +2 )
  • Rebs ( -13 )
  • Asst ( - 4 ) 
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( 0 )

Deandre Bembry ( 24th in minutes played at SG )

• PPG ( -28 )
  • Rebs ( +8 )
  • Asst ( +7 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( 0 )

Vince Carter ( 60th in minutes at SF )

• PPG ( +5 )
  • Rebs ( -7 )
  • Asst ( - 6 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( -6 )

Alex Len ( 45th in minutes at C )

• PPG ( -4 )
  • Rebs ( -4 )
  • Asst ( +2 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( -10 )

Allen Crabbe ( 59th in minutes at SG )

• PPG ( -7 )
  • Rebs ( +21 )
  • Asst ( -21 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( +1 )

Kevin Huerter ( 47th in minutes at SG )

• PPG ( +10 )
  • Rebs ( +19 )
  • Asst ( +29 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( +18 )

John Collins ( 9th in minutes at PF )

• PPG ( -2 )
  • Rebs ( +2 )
  • Asst ( -16 )
  • Total NBA Efficiency ( +1 )

Hunter ( 16th in minutes among SFs )

• PPG ( -6 )
  • Rebs ( -19 )
  • Asst ( -14 )
  • Total NBA efficiency: ( - 17 )

Reddish ( 38th in minutes among SGs . . . 36th in minutes among SFs )

• PPG ( -17 )  . . . ( -4 )
  • Rebs ( +12 ) . . . ( -6 )
  • Asst ( -4 ) . . . ( +6 )
  • Total NBA efficiency: ( -23 ) . . . ( -21 )

Fernando ( 58th in minutes among Cs )

• PPG ( +1 )
  • Rebs ( -4 )
  • Asst ( +22 )
  • Total NBA efficiency: ( -1 )

When you look at it like this, are we REALLY better off starting the two rookies?  I know we're starting them for development purposes and giving them major minutes.  But are we also hurting the team in the process? 

The other thing to look at is Kevin Huerter.  His numbers across the board are way above what the average SG playing those minutes, should be.  LP had him on a minutes restriction and took his time getting him back in the lineup.  Before he got hurt, he really looked as if he was coming around, and ready to take on a larger role.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Thanks 2

Ya everyone talking about the Bruno factor. Ya there’s something definitely there. Is he the type of player that can give a solid 30+ minutes a game though?

Or is he an energizing big off the bench material? 

Either way, he should get a chance moving forward because the Len/Jones thing has a definitely ceiling and it’s very low.

My eye 👁 test tells me our interior D is trash 🗑. Anytime opponents needs a bucket they post us up and just take us down low and score rather easily. 

Scouting report on Hawks:  When you need a critical bucket, post them up down low and their help D will never arrive.

Individual D...post defense...we need to just play some solid D. Bruno will alleviate a bit on the interior one would imagine just by his physical presence and active body.

• Like 2

As long as we're starting Hunter and Reddish, the bulk of the offense will have to come from Trae and Jabari.  That group also needs to prove that they're sound defensively, because the offense can and will suffer if Trae and Jabari isn't scoring.  If Trae or Jabari are off, we're screwed, because we can't count on Cam and Hunter to shoot a high enough percentage to offset any slow start by either of those 2.  And when you watch the games and our slow starts, that's exactly what's been happening.

See the numbers for yourselves:  https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020/lineups/

The Trae - Cam - Hunter - Jabari - Jones lineup has proven to be a failure. 

• Almost 84 minutes played, the most on the team.  ( -20 ) out on the floor per 100 possessions 
  • Getting absolutely MURDERED on the boards ( -17.4% Oreb .... -17.4% Dreb ) . . for a -20.4% in Rebounding rate
  • Shoots -7% less from the field than their opponent.  It's a failure.   No matter who LP decides to take out of this lineup, one or two of them . . or three of them, have to go.

We currently have 9 lineups in which we're outscoring our opponents per 100 possessions.  Normally, your high minute guys will be a part of good and bad lineups, if you're on a bad team.  All 13 of our main roster are on at least 1 of the 9 lineups.  Who shows up the most?

• Trae Young ( 8 ) - He's the engine that drives everything offensively, so this is no surprise that when the Hawks have it going, he's normally a part of it.  He's a part of 4 of our top 5 lineups
  • Jabari Parker ( 7 ) - This shouldn't be a surprise either. Trae and Jabari have good chemistry offensively, and Jabari can get his own points if need be.  He's a part of 4 of our top 5 lineups too.
  • Deandre Hunter ( 7 ) - He's normally solid on defense. So if the other guys around him are scoring, his defense is an asset.
  • Deandre Bembry ( 4 ) - Surprised?  As much as Baby Josh messes up offensively, his defense ( when on ) has sparked runs with the 2nd unit.  And he did ball out in his only chance to start.
  • Bruno Fernando ( 4 ) - Surprised?  LOL . . I've been telling ya'll this for about 3 weeks.  He's "Mr. Plus" for a reason.  Bruno is also part of 4 of our top 5 lineups.
  • Alex Len ( 4 ) - Surprised again?  Alex had a few games in which he played well.  And early in the year, his defensive presence was a factor.

Huerter is in 3 of these lineups.  Reddish and Crabbe are in 2 of these positive lineups.  Collins, Turner, Vince, and Jones are in 1.

So when you look at this list, and the success that each player has in a particular lineup, who should start for the Hawks?

PG - Young

G - Bembry

SF - Hunter

PF - Parker

C - Bruno

This lineup has our 2 best offensive players, arguably our 2 best defensive wings, and a center who helps both the offense and defense.  This particular lineup does not rank in the top 20 in minutes for lineups used.  And it's not in the top 10 lineups of either Bruno or Bembry.  This lineup may have never been used.

The closest we've come to playing this lineup, is keeping Young, Hunter, Parker and Bruno, but replacing Reddish with Bembry.   That particular lineup is SECOND in point differential per 100 minutes, posting a +28.7 number.  The problem is that this lineup has only been used in 11:24 of game time, which ranks it as the 11th most used lineup.

When you look at all of this, the criticism of LP is completely valid.  Do the Hawks have analytic guys who are looking at these numbers?  Do they have guys who can actually UNDERSTAND these numbers?  Are they simply looking at "I need some guys who we THINK can shoot in the game", and dismissing the guys who actually play well with each other? 

I truly think LP is trying to keep certain people happy, whether it be on the team, or in the front office.   Either that, or he may be just oblivious to what the numbers and the film shows him.

Either start Bembry & Bruno in place of Cam and Jones . . . or start all 3 rookies.

• Like 2

Here's what makes this even worse.  Out of Trae's top 10 most successful lineups from a point differential standpoint, 6 of them are positive.  The top 2 lineups contain Bruno, Hunter, and Parker.  At the SG spot, it either contained Reddish or Huerter. 

Of Trae's bottom 2 lineups, which are -20.1 and -35.3 respectively from a point differential standpoint, they both contain Parker, Hunter, and Jones . . with once again the SG spot being manned by either Reddish or Huerter

So like I said, because Trae, Parker, and Hunter are playing the most minutes, they're the ones most likely to be in positive and negative lineups.  And it seems if it doesn't matter if the defensive minded Reddish, or the offensive minded Huerter, is playing with those 3 guys.

What DOES MATTER, is who is playing center with those guys.  Jones is a negative for those guys.  Bruno is a positive.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngtr01/lineups/2020

• Like 2

LP complains about rebounding.  Bruno is part of 3 of our top 4 rebounding % lineups.  He's also a part of 4 of our top 6 assist lineups.   Jones isn't a part of ANY of these lineups.

The more I research all of this, the madder I get at LP.  He, or someone on his staff HAS to be seeing these numbers.  Or they just aren't looking at them.

@LK6969 . . . . I'm a believer now man.   LP doesn't need to be fired.  But HE is a big reason why this team can't break this losing streak, more than anyone else.  He and his staff have to look in the mirror, see who actually has an impact on a game, and coach a hell of a lot better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LP complains about rebounding.  Bruno is part of 3 of our top 4 rebounding % lineups.  He's also a part of 4 of our top 6 assist lineups.   Jones isn't a part of ANY of these lineups.

The more I research all of this, the madder I get at LP.  He, or someone on his staff HAS to be seeing these numbers.  Or they just aren't looking at them.

@LK6969 . . . . I'm a believer now man.   LP doesn't need to be fired.  But HE is a big reason why this team can't break this losing streak, more than anyone else.  He and his staff have to look in the mirror, see who actually has an impact on a game, and coach a hell of a lot better.

Thanks buddy, cheers. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

I've watched every Hawks game this season. It is pretty glaring to me personally. I don't even study the film or anything TOO MUCH in depth. It's...just....really....obvious.

This type of incompetence at the highest level of play shouldn't really be tolerated sadly. You are making millions of bucks to do this job. The only excuse I can think of is if he is purposefully tank commanding.

If the Hawks are tank commanding, fine. I understand. I guess the Hawks and/or LP can't come out and straight up say they are tanking. But if the goal is to make the 8th seed this season, LP should be fired. He's really bad and the reason we have lost about 5-6 games now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LK6969 said:

Thanks buddy, cheers. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

I've watched every Hawks game this season. It is pretty glaring to me personally. I don't even study the film or anything TOO MUCH in depth. It's...just....really....obvious.

This type of incompetence at the highest level of play shouldn't really be tolerated sadly. You are making millions of bucks to do this job. The only excuse I can think of is if he is purposefully tank commanding.

If the Hawks are tank commanding, fine. I understand. I guess the Hawks and/or LP can't come out and straight up say they are tanking. But if the goal is to make the 8th seed this season, LP should be fired. He's really bad and the reason we have lost about 5-6 games now. 

That's just absurd. This roster without Collins and Huerter is extremely limited. The big point of contention here is whether we should start Damian Jones or a third rookie. Let's try to have some perspective.

As for the Bruno debate, I think there are a few factors that go into it:

1) Bruno isn't good (yet). 

2) Bruno will be here next season (unless he pulls a Spellman). There's no rush to give him a trial by fire. Jones is playing for his future.

3) Again, we're already starting 2 rookies in the first month of the season. Jones at least has some NBA experience.

I understand that the losing streak is wearing on people, but have some patience. This was never meant to be a playoff season and it definitely isn't now that we've lost 2 starters for an extended period of time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, High5 said:

That's just absurd. This roster without Collins and Huerter is extremely limited. The big point of contention here is whether we should start Damian Jones or a third rookie. Let's try to have some perspective.

As for the Bruno debate, I think there are a few factors that go into it:

1) Bruno isn't good (yet). 

2) Bruno will be here next season (unless he pulls a Spellman). There's no rush to give him a trial by fire. Jones is playing for his future.

3) Again, we're already starting 2 rookies in the first month of the season. Jones at least has some NBA experience.

I understand that the losing streak is wearing on people, but have some patience. This was never meant to be a playoff season and it definitely isn't now that we've lost 2 starters for an extended period of time. 

Fine. There really is no debate, you start a third rookie. OR, in the alternative, if you are uncomfortable with a third rookie, simply start Bruno and remove Cam and replace with Bembry. In both of these above scenarios you have 3 decent defensive players, and 2 explosive offensive players (Trae and Bari) 

Right now, with the Master LP's lineup, (Jones in the lineup) gives us 3 really bad defensive players (trae, bari, jones) and 2 good offensive players and we get annihilated on defense and ESP. defensive rebounding. 

The bench can be staggered nicely with Cam coming off it, and also including Len as the backup C. Dude, we've lost like 8 games in a row. Several of those games we could've easily won. Raptors and Wolves game immediately comes to my mind. And also , frankly our previous game against the Bucks we could've won as well. The problem is LP is really really bad at figuring this stuff out AND IT'S HIS JOB. The stats don't lie. but LP will continue to start DJONES, even tonight. And guess what? Another loss. 100%

This isnt acceptable. Unless we are purposefully tanking. 

Edited by LK6969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LK6969 said:

Fine. There really is no debate, you start a third rookie. OR, in the alternative, if you are uncomfortable with a third rookie, simply start Bruno and remove Cam and replace with Bembry. In both of these above scenarios you have 3 decent defensive players, and 2 explosive offensive players (Trae and Bari) 

Right now, with the Master LP's lineup, (Jones in the lineup) gives us 3 really bad defensive players (trae, bari, jones) and 2 good offensive players and we get annihilated on defense and ESP. defensive rebounding. 

The bench can be staggered nicely with Cam coming off it, and also including Len as the backup C. Dude, we've lost like 8 games in a row. Several of those games we could've easily won. Raptors and Wolves game immediately comes to my mind. And also , frankly our previous game against the Bucks we could've won as well. The problem is LP is really really bad at figuring this stuff out AND IT'S HIS JOB. The stats don't lie. but LP will continue to start DJONES, even tonight. And guess what? Another loss. 100%

This isnt acceptable. Unless we are purposefully tanking. 

We could have won those winnable games if the players could hit open shots. We're shooting like 28% on open 3's. Hell, we might have an extra win or two if Parker could execute a simple outlet pass. Pinning it all on LP is just being a hater, plain and simple. 

Also, Bruno isn't a decent defender by a long shot. And Bembry had the best game of his career the other night in the starting lineup and Detroit ran us out of the building. These things aren't so simple. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, High5 said:

We could have won those winnable games if the players could hit open shots. We're shooting like 28% on open 3's. Hell, we might have an extra win or two if Parker could execute a simple outlet pass. Pinning it all on LP is just being a hater, plain and simple. 

Also, Bruno isn't a decent defender by a long shot. And Bembry had the best game of his career the other night in the starting lineup and Detroit ran us out of the building. These things aren't so simple. 

The problem with this notion, is that all of these things can be researched, if you know where to look.  So let's see if perception is reality

At nba.com, they list each players Defensive Dashboard.   Overall defense by them is measured by Differential %, which is . . 

The difference between the normal percentage of a shooter on shots throughout the season and the percentage on shots when the defensive player or team is guarding the shooter.  A good defensive number will be a negative because the defensive player holds their opponent to a lower percentage than normal.

Formula:   DFG% - Opp FG%

Here are Bruno's  defensive numbers:   https://stats.nba.com/player/1628981/defense-dash/

Overall:  ( -1.9 ) . . . OPP avg: 46.8% FG . . . Bruno DFG%: 44.6%

3 pointers:  ( -0.1 ) . . . 43.8% of defensive plays for Bruno . . OPP avg: 34.8% . . . Bruno DFG% on 3s:  34.7%

2 pointers: ( -0.5 ) . . . 56.3% of defensive plays for Bruno . . OPP avg: 52.9% . . . Bruno DFG% on 2s:  52.4%

less than 6 feet: ( +3.7 ) . . . OPP avg: 60.6% . . . Bruno DFG% less than 6 ft: 64.3%

less than 10 feet: ( -2.3 ) . . . OPP avg: 57.2% . . . Bruno DFG% less than 10 ft: 54.9%

greater than 15 feet: ( 0.0 ) . . . OPP avg: 35.1% . . . Bruno DFG% greater than 15 ft:  35.1%

If you strictly measure Bruno's defense by how he defends point blank at the rim, the yes, you have a point.  But what makes Bruno a good defender overall, according to this metric, is that he can play defense away from the rim and lower the opponents shooting percentage.  Too many times, Bruno has ran out and challenged 3 point shots, or made it difficult for a driving guard to make a tough shot.   

The fact that our C is defending on a 3 point attempt on almost 44% of his defensive plays, is either by design of LP's defense, or it's showing great effort by Bruno to run out on shooters.  But let's see if this is by design.

Jones' defensive numbers:  https://stats.nba.com/player/1627745/defense-dash/

Overall:  ( +8.2 ) . . . OPP` avg: 46.8% FG . . . Jones DFG%: 55%

3 pointers:  ( +15.7 ) . . . 31.8% of defensive plays for Jones . . OPP avg: 34.3% . . . Jones DFG% on 3s:  50%

2 pointers: ( +3.9 ) . . . 68.2% of defensive plays for Jones . . OPP avg: 53.3% . . . Jones DFG% on 2s:  57.3%

less than 6 feet: ( -2.4 ) . . . OPP avg: 62.1% . . . Jones DFG% less than 6 ft: 59.7%

less than 10 feet: ( +1.7 ) . . . OPP avg: 57.6% . . . Jones DFG% less than 10 ft: 59.3%

greater than 15 feet: ( +14.1 ) . . . OPP avg: 35.1% . . . Jones DFG% greater than 15 ft:  49.2%

All of this research I'm doing, is validating exactly what I see when Bruno is out on the floor.  Yes, he'll give up or may not even contest a point blank attempt at the rim.  But he's constantly running out at shooters or trying to guard them on the perimeter, which causes some of them to miss shots. 

Jones simply doesn't move as well as Bruno, whether straight ahead of laterally, which is why guys will get open perimeter shots on him . . and also why he can't back into the paint in time to at least challenge to get the rebound.  LP blames his effort, but he might simply not be able to do it.

There really isn't 1 reason for Jones to stay in this starting lineup.  By the way, the numbers acutally show Len to be the best defensive option at center, posting a -5.3 differential and holding opponents to 41.4% FG overall and 47.5% FG shooting less than 6 feet.

But because Jones can catch a lob from Trae, I guess that means he's the best option at center.

• Like 2

Allen Crabbe ( by the numbers ), is our best perimeter defender, with Cam being a close 2nd. 

When you compare the Differential FG% of our wings from greater than 15 feet, these are how our wings look:

Crabbe:  ( -5.4 ) . . . 30% FG

Reddish:  ( -3.8 ) . . . 32.3% FG

Hunter:  ( +0.3 ) . . . 37.6% FG

Carter:  ( +0.6 ) . . . 33.3% FG

Huerter:  ( +11.7 ) . . . 51.3% FG

Bembry: ( +12.3 ) . . . 50% FG

Let's focus on Reddish first.  This is easily the most encouraging part about his game. It's no doubt that when you watch the kid, he knows how to play defense.  He plays smart.  He doesn't pick up a lot of silly fouls.  And he knows how to use his body and his wingspan to keep defenders in front of him.

His steal videos does resemble the type of defense that Paul George plays on occasion.  Quick hands. Reads passing lanes very well.  Plays very good position defense out on the perimeter.  We saw all of this in college, and it has definitely translated to the pros.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=1&CFID=33&CFPARAMS=2019-20&PlayerID=1629629&TeamID=0&GameID=&ContextMeasure=STL&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&LeagueID=00&PerMode=PerGame&Split=general&PlusMinus=N&PaceAdjust=N&Rank=N&Outcome=&Location=&Month=0&SeasonSegment=&OpponentTeamID=0&VsConference=&VsDivision=&GameSegment=&Period=0&LastNGames=0&DateFrom=&DateTo=&PORound=0&ShotClockRange=&MeasureType=Base&section=player

I think his potential on defense is far greater than his potential on offense.  I wonder what would happen if Cam is told at this point in his career, to focus more on his defense, and less on his offense.  Would that make him a more valuable asset to the team at this point in time?  If we had legit people that we could play in front of him, this may be the focus in Year 1.  But because we need more out of him, he's forced to find his way offensively as well. 

Once again, this is on the coaching staff to either define what he can do well on offense to help the team, or really have him focus on being a lockdown defender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Listen, I like Bruno and I wouldn't be upset if LP named him the starter. I have no desire to see Jones or Len start. But those numbers just don't mean much to me at this point. Especially with Bruno's limited time off of the bench. You look at the same numbers for the rest of the team and you'd conclude that Bembry was a notably worse defender than Trae. When I see Bruno play, I see someone who is regularly lost on defense. The same can be said for Jones, but while you mock the lob threat angle, I really think that's the most valuable thing either brings to the court right now. 

My point isn't really about whether or not Bruno should be starting. I just think people need to learn to chill a bit and look at things from different angles. You would think we were supposed to contend this season the way people have been overreacting to everything.

36 minutes ago, High5 said:

Listen, I like Bruno and I wouldn't be upset if LP named him the starter. I have no desire to see Jones or Len start. But those numbers just don't mean much to me at this point. Especially with Bruno's limited time off of the bench. You look at the same numbers for the rest of the team and you'd conclude that Bembry was a notably worse defender than Trae. When I see Bruno play, I see someone who is regularly lost on defense. The same can be said for Jones, but while you mock the lob threat angle, I really think that's the most valuable thing either brings to the court right now. 

My point isn't really about whether or not Bruno should be starting. I just think people need to learn to chill a bit and look at things from different angles. You would think we were supposed to contend this season the way people have been overreacting to everything.

My real life job is literally to analyze data, and use the data to identify the gaps in manufacturing processes and solve problems.

If you don't believe what the data says, then I can't do anything about that.  Bruno looking lost is systematic of the entire team.  It's just that coach tends to have a quicker hook on certain players than others, when they mess up.

As for Bembry vs Trae.  Bembry's defense has been called out by members on this board, because while he can be a good defender, he's also a gambling defender that will give up points when he's out of position.  Trae's defense this season has vastly improved out on the perimeter.  Of course, if you take Trae inside, he's too small to be a factor defensively.

People knew this team would struggle during this stretch.  And the loss of Collins and Huerter does play a factor in our woes.  But there are glaring things that is going on with this lineup, that suggest that the coach really can't get a handle on what works and what doesn't work.  The games that have been winnable, have somewhat been sabotaged by LP's rotations.

The lob to Jones is fool's gold, because that play does not work in the 4th quarter, once the defense makes adjustments to that.  Trae has the ability to toss a lob to any big.  Len caught a ton of Trae's lobs last season.  What we need are bigs in the game that can do more than catch lobs.

I guess people won't overreact around here, until we lose to Golden State.

4 hours ago, High5 said:

With this logic, a HC should NEVER be fired, because "the players are the ones playing and missing shots". 

When is it acceptable? Listen, the Hawks won't do much this season most likely, but the fact is that if LP is trying to win this season, he has done a HORRIBLE job looking at analytics. The stats don't lie. There is zero reason to start Jones and play VC at the 4 spot. Zero.

Now, if LP is tank commanding...then GOOD JOB! He's doing very well. And yes, playing VC at the 4 is a great way to lose many many games. lol