Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pacers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

9z1y-atlanta-hawks-turkey-thanksgiving-d

“I beg your Pardon???”

Happy Georgia Granite Gray Friday!

But for a few shoppers cutting each other off in traffic while fighting to get to that last 60-percent-off smart 4K HD toaster oven at the outlet mall, I’d have already been back at the lab crafting up a gamethread for tonight’s Atlanta Hawks game in Indiana against the Pacers (8 PM Eastern, Fox Sports Southeast and 92.9 FM in ATL, Fox Sports Indiana). Alas, here we are!

My large, adult son of what should have been my large, adult father, Domantas Sabonis (18.9 PPG and 13.3 RPG) has gotten over his preseason contract squabbles and is playing really good basketball, y’all.

Coach Nate McMillan’s club has made things work quite well (11-6, 6th in NBA East, winners of 4 straight and 11-3 in last 14 games) despite missing key components for much of the season, including Team USA seat-warmer Myles Turner (back from an ankle sprain), Hawks 30-win-stopper Edmond Sumner (out, fractured hand) and newcomer guards Malcolm Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb (both back in action; Brogdon’s 96.0 FT% is 1st in NBA). When Victor Oladipo gets back up to speed, watch out!

Hopefully, that won’t be until after December 13, when these teams meet up at State Farm Arena and the Hawks (4-whatever) will (knock on wood) have Kevin Huerter in tow by then. In the meantime, some more of that middle-quarters magic from Wednesday’s Milwaukee loss, spread out earlier and later in this contest, could help Atlanta enjoy a much more favorable conclusion before hitting the skies for Houston tonight. At least DeAndre’ Bembry can’t foul Sumner this time around.

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 4

Nice preview lw3. The Pacers are a really solid team and one that plays the right way. I have a question. When we saw Malcom Brogdon play in college. We know he’s good, we knows he’s efficient, fundamental and all that good stuff. He last until so late in the draft due to his age? Wow.

Brogdon/Oladipo/Sabonis

Not ur traditional sexy big 3 but as solid as it gets imo.

Pacers -11 Hawks +11 o/u 224

Go Hawks!!!

• Like 1

Stinger is a damn fool if he thinks Jones can match up with Sabonis.  Jones will have to be very careful not to draw 2 quick fouls in the 1st quarter.  If he doesn't fight for rebounding position every time the ball goes up, Domantas will eat him alive.  This dude is no joke.

This is one game where we may need Alex to come up big defensively.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Nice preview lw3. The Pacers are a really solid team and one that plays the right way. I have a question. When we saw Malcom Brogdon play in college. We know he’s good, we knows he’s efficient, fundamental and all that good stuff. He last until so late in the draft due to his age? Wow.

Supes and others would recall better than I could, but from what I recall Brogdon had some injury/surgery concerns regarding his foot (feet?), where NBA teams weren't confident he'd be healthy and mobile through the course of a possible first-round rookie-scale deal. He wasn't perceived as having top-tier potential athletically, and the foot concerns didn't help. Glad it worked out for the ATLien!

~lw3

• Like 1

If you're keeping score at home, the Hawks scored 8 points in just 3 minutes, with Bruno in the game, including a damn good assist from him to a cutting Bembry.  Bruno could do this all day, if allowed to be a secondary facilitator in the half court offense.

Of course, the coach is on his set rotations, so he only sees 3 minutes of PT.

+1 for Bruno right now.

-4 for Jones

This is actually a decent defensive lineup for our "2nd unit"

Bruno at the 4 and Len at the 5.

Have you noticed how we aren't getting blown out now? Usually at this point in the 1st qtr we are getting CRAZY KILLED. But not this time. Because LP finally realized the proper lineup to stick VC in. We have 3 decent defenders on the floor. (Bembry, Bruno and Len) VC and Crabbe are garbage on defense but we aren't getting blown out and the Pacers are having a hard time scoring. 

Also I like playing Len WITHOUT trae. Because Len can't catch passes. And it annoys trae. The easy solution? Stagger Len and Trae. When trae is in, take out Len. When Len is in, take out Trae. SOOOO easy.

Too bad LP was clueless for about 15 games. SAD!