• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Supes Notes of the last 10 games till 12/3/19

NBASupes

I agree about Jones.  He's not great but he's better than some project him to be.  

Jones came here, never having played a ton of NBA minutes.  Trae has played more NBA minutes than Jones.  Sure, Hawks want an upgrade at center.  Much more, they need their wing players, whoever they have on the floor, to raise their shooting % and help our offense.  

Hawks can and will improve on these two most obvious parts.

🙂 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Nice writeup, @NBASupes.  Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Was going to joke about how if Cam's next big hurdle is improved shooting then it is time to find a mentor other than Turner, but I think that is too obvious.  

Don't you ever hold back on corny, dad-joke level snark.  Don't you ever hold it back.

• Haha 4

Nice write up supes. I see some of the same things except for all the Turner good things 😆. Is all this happening off camera 🎥 cuz I gotta tell ya, on camera I don’t see or hear much from Turner. 

The sooner we package Turner in a trade, the better for us.That goes for Jabari, Bembry, Len and a couple others as well. Let’s face it, we need to tweak the roster a bit whether slowly or rapidly, it’s gotta be done.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

There was serious questions, by me in particular that he is more than a 3rd big on any NBA roster and a high end g-leaguer at that. I was wrong, Jones has proven that even with a major uptick in minutes

Your apology should be as loud as your disrespect...

He still sucks but he can finish a majority of oops upside ur head.

By the way Supes, this is why I respect the Supes2k a lot more than old Supes, he remembers that people remember! Good lookin out. People remember that you remembered. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Your apology should be as loud as your disrespect...

He still sucks but he can finish a majority of oops upside ur head.

By the way Supes, this is why I respect the Supes2k a lot more than old Supes, he remembers that people remember! Good lookin out. People remember that you remembered. 

Thanks spud

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nice write up supes. I see some of the same things except for all the Turner good things 😆. Is all this happening off camera 🎥 cuz I gotta tell ya, on camera I don’t see or hear much from Turner. 

The sooner we package Turner in a trade, the better for us.That goes for Jabari, Bembry, Len and a couple others as well. Let’s face it, we need to tweak the roster a bit whether slowly or rapidly, it’s gotta be done.

I am not sure getting rid of Turner is a benefit. He does a lot of the things a team needs that doesn't really look visible to the common fan. 

Guys like Crabbe and Parsons needs to go. Of course most of our vets can go but some guys like Turner and VC add things beyond the game itself

I can see moving from Bembry or Parker with an upgrade but upgrades with bench players aren't the easily things to do with teams like ours.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Guys like Crabbe and Parsons needs to go. Of course most of our vets can go but some guys like Turner and VC add things beyond the game itself

I don’t disagree, Crabbe’s new shooting style stinks, I like the old Crabbe from the Blazers, Parson, I don’t even see him, he’s a walking 🚶 contract to me 😆...

All this points to one thing...

We need to be active during the deadline. Depending on our record, we are buyers or sellers but we better make a few good moves.

Its early to say this, but we better start getting Trae some help. If he bolts in a couple of years it’s all on Travis. I realize we are super young and rebuilding but Trae looks really tired 20% into the season. 

Help the guy out. I dunno get DJ Augustin, get some vets that can actually ball a little.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

There has been four things that stood out to me in the last ten games that I wanted to talk more about:

1. Trae Young is starting to use Jones as a rim runner without screens. The biggest struggle I seen from Len to Jones offensively was PnR offense. Now what Trae is doing is no longer asking for a screen, beating his man off the dribble drawing in Jones' man and delivering a vicious alley oop. Now, this is more dangerous than PnR and can lead to more turnovers for Young which of course it has but is more of a lock to work than the PnR with Len or Jones and it's effective if Trae consistently beats his man off the dribble and doesn't get trapped up top. 

2. Evan Turner low-key is a critical member of the team. The one thing I've noticed his Evan Turner coaching abilities and his ability even in a 50 point blow out to continue to teach the kids the right way to play the game. Even as a backup to Trae, I seen him giving Trae gems almost like, when you see this, this is what you need to do. The person who he has personally took time to develop along with Vince is Cam Reddish. Part of the reason Cam is on my most developed from preseason to now list is due to those two but mainly Turner.

Turner is constantly talking to Reddish when he has the chance. In the game, especially part of the VC/Turner/Reddish unit, they work Reddish into the lead guard position and really get him going and they also do the same in terms of his off ball development too. While Cam offensively hasn't been even average, compared to what he was in many areas, I've seen massive improvement. Now of course Cam is going to have to improve in the most critical finishing/shooting parts but that will take more time. He is looking more comfortable off the ball and showing more on the ball with their help and mentorship. Cam owes a lot to these two but mainly Turner who I've seen really work with Cam a lot. 

3. Alex Len is high key going back in the right direction on offense. While Alex' defense has taken a major hit without Collins as expected, his offense by most metrics I use is going back up again. While not close to last year's output especially due to his shooting, his offense is slowing going back to the right direction. That's a positive and a sign that being a backup center who plays v. backup 5s is Len's calling card. 

4. Don't look now, but Jones is a rotation level NBA center. While a 0.1 to -.5 WAR is just a decent backup center. There was serious questions, by me in particular that he is more than a 3rd big on any NBA roster and a high end g-leaguer at that. I was wrong, Jones has proven that even with a major uptick in minutes. The most was 410 with GS last year, he has played 369 with the Hawks just this year. He has shown that his offensive value does translate even if his defensive value was fugazi. Good pickup for Travis even if Spellman's is superior, Omari was a wash in Atlanta and over 300 pounds. He was never going to be that good. This is good for his trade value. He is not Crabbe, Parsons or Turner in that area but that said, the Hawks really need to upgrade the starting center position.

1. Yes, I saw that.

What I liked last game especially was Trae finally recognizing the trap early and passing out of it instead of waiting for his teammates tonget open for a potential assist. It was the pass that led to the pass that led to the score. The hockey assists for Trae. It was also helpful that his teammates realized they needed to come get the ball out of the trap.

2. Evan Turner - Critical? That's not the term I'd used. He's helpful. I was impressed with his interior defense on Paschall.

3. Len - He still can't hit a 3, still has fumble-itis, but he can rebound and defend.

4. Jones - he had a good game Monday. Now let's see him repeat it. If he can improve his defense and rebounding to servicable, I'd say he's a rotation player.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The hockey assists for Trae

He’s gonna need to get used to this. Outside of hitting Len under the rim with two of the most brilliant passes I’ve seen from about mid court, there needs to be one more swing of the ball. Trae can’t continuously make those mid court passes. It’s too difficult, I mean he’s the best passer in the league, granted he’s small, but I doubt any can make the pass.

Swing one more but in order for the one last swing to be beneficial, it can’t end up in the hands of Turner, Bembry, Damian, even Parker and others. We don’t have much talent outside. Right now it needs to land in Carter’s hands for a three but due to age the D closes on him. It ends up with Hunter, that’s what we’ve been seeing and he hit some vs the Warriors but he has his inconsistencies as a rookie. 

Crabbe I thought would be that guy but he shoots weird now and sucks at it. 

We need Huerter back. We need Collins back. This record of ours isn’t the team constructed on paper 📝 by any means. We’ve literally lost like 1/3 of our production from the absence of Huerter and Collins. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1