• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kevin is back!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The difference is that John has put up stats only 5 players in the league have put up.  If john had not been suspended and put up his stats, he would have been an all star and considered one of the best young big men in the league but yet we criticize him.  Pierce is regard as one of the worse coaches in the league but yet he is beyond reproach here.  I just find that strange!

You are taking the few that propose these trades and making it a referendum on hate for players vs love for the coach. Smh.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Name a single poster that hasn't criticized the coaching staff.  I find it strange that you keep trumpeting things that are blatantly not true.  Don't give me BS like a quote from a poster who says "you can't blame LP for the team sucking when the roster sucks!" when that same poster has criticized LP.  

Give me a poster who has truly not criticized the coaches.

When some one does criticize the guy, seem like the entire board rallies against that poster.  I should know.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

You are taking the few that propose these trades and making it a referendum on hate for players vs love for the coach. Smh.

A few?

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doesn't mean coaches don't have their role and aren't important but there is a reason the best players get closer to $30M and you sometimes have multiple of those guys on the same roster while the best coaches get closer to $5M.

By the way, Greg Popovich make $11 mil per year

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When some one does criticize the guy, seem like the entire board rallies against that poster.  I should know.

It’s because you’re rarely fair or honest. If someone was talking crazy in an attempt to prove LP was the best coach in the league then the same people who disagree with you would disagree with them.

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Do the same rules apply to Collins?  What about Hunter?  Are people fair with their valuations of those guys?

Look at that Collins thread and you'll see many disagreements. People disagree about Hunter all of the time. But there's a difference in being tough or pessimistic and being unreasonable or dishonest. You make the most insane comparisons and never consider what LP has working against him. It's just always his fault, plain and simple. 

Also, as others have said, LP can be fired at any time at basically no loss (relatively speaking). It's a much larger commitment to give a player a max contract or trade a bunch of picks for them. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, High5 said:

Look at that Collins thread and you'll see many disagreements. People disagree about Hunter all of the time. But there's a difference in being tough or pessimistic and being unreasonable or dishonest. You make the most insane comparisons and never consider what LP has working against him. It's just always his fault, plain and simple. 

Also, as others have said, LP can be fired at any time at basically no loss (relatively speaking). It's a much larger commitment to give a player a max contract or trade a bunch of picks for them. 

My point is that what the coach teaches and designs directly affect each player's performance but when the player is perceived to be under performing, he gets all of the blame.  John has done everything possible to adjust to this coach and even though the coach doesn't run plays for him of even throw it into the post to allow john to make a play, John is accuse of not being able to make plays. Why does John have to always take the blame if he never get the opportunity to prove that he can make plays.  Same with Trae.  Some will say "Trae can't play off the ball even though his catch and shoot rate of 46% on 3's indicates otherwise  but the coach designs the scheme not Trae but somehow Trae gets the blame for not taking more off the ball shots.  I just find it unfair.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, Greg Popovich make $11 mil per year

The 10th highest paid coach in the league gets like $5M per year.  There are a few coaches that make a bit more than the MLE.  No coach comes even remotely close to their top paid player.  

Pops is arguably one of the greatest coaches in NBA history and last year he made less than Patty Mills and Rudy Gay.  

Doesn't that say it all for how much GMs value coaches?  You could have the best coach in the modern NBA history but instead you'll invest more in Patty Mills and substantially more in Rudy Gay.  (Let alone the team's actual stud players in LA and DeRozan.)

Anyway, I do agree that a coach makes a difference and can be the difference between a loss and victory between otherwise similarly talented teams.  Coaches are important.  Just not nearly as important as the players.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

The 10th highest paid coach in the league gets like $5M per year.  There are a few coaches that make a bit more than the MLE.  No coach comes even remotely close to their top paid player.  

You do realize there are many more players in the league than coaches so the number of players making a lot of money will obviously be more.  But there are plenty of players in the league making  less than the lowest paid coach too.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You do realize there are many more players in the league than coaches so the number of players making a lot of money will obviously be more.  But there are plenty of players in the league making  less than the lowest paid coach too.

You and I agree that a head coach is worth more than the 15th best guy on someone's roster.  Recognize that the coaches at the bottom third of coaches make $2M or less.  Only the top 20 coaches were paid more than $2M last season according to coaching salary articles I saw.  What does that tell you?  They earn less than guys like 2019-20 Khem Birch, Ryan Arcidiacono, Udonis Haslem, etc.  That means they are paid with the garbage players of the league.  Sure there are players that are paid even less but unless someone is on a rookie deal they have to be trash to earn less than the lower paid NBA coaches as well.  I consider guys like Haslem and Birch to be utterly disposable bodies filling a roster spot.  But a guy like Arcidiacono makes >150% of many coaches.

Again, coaches have value.  That value is dwarfed by the value of the players but it is still meaningful value.

• Premium Member

I think he has a very appropriate skillset to be a combination of secondary creator and off-ball scorer next to Young.....I think one of the things which could help both the Hawks overall and Young specifically is if Pierce finds a way to balance the playmaking load a little bit more going forward. Huerter’s 9.2 percent playmaking usage was right around the same as that of players like Al Horford and Aaron Gordon; decent passers, but I think Huerter has the potential to be much more than that as a secondary distributor......I think Huerter’s playmaking abilities have been a bit underrated because he’s not asked to do it often playing next to Young. I still think his lack of defense, especially if it doesn’t improve long-term, is concerning because who knows if Young will become “regular bad” on defense. If it doesn’t improve, I just don’t see him being a starter on this team.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hope i'm wrong but I feel like Heurter's playmaking potential is being overrated.  I know his numbers look pretty good in that area and he definitely makes some good passes.  But he also makes some really horrendous decisions with the ball at times.  Hopefully that's youth.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hope i'm wrong but I feel like Heurter's playmaking potential is being overrated.  I know his numbers look pretty good in that area and he definitely makes some good passes.  But he also makes some really horrendous decisions with the ball at times.  Hopefully that's youth.

His playmaking skills were a part of why I liked him for us coming out of college.  He should be able to be a part of that but shouldn't be the primary playmaker on the floor.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was surprised by his ability since I thought he was just a shooter. 

As long as he doesn't make it Bembry-esque he'll be ok as a secondary ball handler.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Good read!

He ended up arriving in Atlanta for training camp in September having gained 10 pounds. His mission to gain weight was accomplished. The problem was that the weight he had gained was bad weight. His body fat percentage had risen....... He also hadn’t fully recovered from a minor knee injury that he sustained in May while still working out in Atlanta. His knee bothered him all offseason, including in Las Vegas when the team held practices for Summer League. .....Huerter said he would have to adjust the workouts to his own level of comfortability because of the knee pain. He ended up missing all of the preseason and was on a minutes restriction to begin the season, and his bad diet was a reason for the pain lasting as long as it did.

“We’ve had a lot of change on offense. I am still trying to figure out how I fit into all of that,” Huerter said. “My role on this team changed three or four times over the course of the year. I like that because I feel like they trust me to do a lot of different things, and I’m not just cornered into one specific role. They move me around and move me in a lot of different ways.

Head coach Lloyd Pierce recently said the Hawks are going to have to “figure out the Cam and Kevin thing,” which reading between the lines likely means who’s going to start and who’s going to come off the bench between Huerter and Reddish. Huerter understands there’s always going to be competition in the NBA with the next guy always trying to take your spot and isn’t concerned about a possible training camp battle for the starting shooting guard spot next season.

Knowing the inside of our team and knowing how we prepare — that’s a big thing Lloyd talks about is preparing better and growing up — I can tell you how easier the NBA is when you’re not a rookie. We had three rookies playing a lot of minutes. I would just tell our fans to be patient. There’s a lot of work that is going into this. 

“I think the pieces we do have fit together really well for what we have. We obviously haven’t seen Clint with us, but our small lineup is talented. Trae was a first-time All-Star. I have confidence in what I can do. John (Collins) is a borderline All-Star. Cam and De’Andre (Hunter) have had big games for us. We’re all young. We’re all home-grown talent. You can keep us together a lot longer. But I think we fit together really well. We’re all different. .......... I think all of our pieces fit. If we can fine-tune that, we’re fine.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...