• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Countdown to December 15th

NBASupes

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More:

Q: As the GM, is it difficult for you to exhibit patience when the team is 5-17? 

All of us in this business are competitive people. The hardest part about going through this process is remaining patient and not doing anything dramatic to try to get this team in the eighth spot when our ultimate goal is vying for a championship. So, without question, it’s the hardest part. None of us want to go through a 10-game losing streak. It’s miserable for everyone. You’re in the locker room. You see it. But, again, you don’t want to do anything to jeopardize your long-term goals just to win a few more games this year, if that makes sense.

While I don't disagree with him, he's being maybe too transparent.  

• Haha 2

• Moderators
On 12/5/2019 at 9:02 AM, NBASupes said:

They will come but want a king's ransom. That's bad business and hurts us in 2021. We need to show that we are looking like we could be a playoff team so we can get steals for cheaper cost. No Alex Lens for 5-6 million and Arizas for 15-17

I see zero issue overpaying a guy like Philly did with JJ Redick.  Sign him (not JJ but some similarly good but not great vet) for $22M for one year.  Keeps our cap room for the following offseason and gives the team a better hand to start legit competing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I see zero issue overpaying a guy like Philly did with JJ Redick.  Sign him (not JJ but some similarly good but not great vet) for $22M for one year.  Keeps our cap room for the following offseason and gives the team a better hand to start legit competing.

It's hard to find players who are good who are willing to do those types of deals in the NBA. Philly had the advantage of already having Redick. Most of the time, you end with situations like NY/LAL where the players aren't good getting paid like that on short term deals and most of them for teams like us are much much worse. Basically Allan Crabbe level types willing to do those types of deals. That's why teams like Atlanta just look to the trade market for teams needing cap for picks. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's hard to find players who are good who are willing to do those types of deals in the NBA. Philly had the advantage of already having Redick. Most of the time, you end with situations like NY/LAL where the players aren't good getting paid like that on short term deals and most of them for teams like us are much much worse. 

They signed him as an unrestricted free agent for $23M.  He had never played in Philly prior to signing.

I think the most he would have gotten from a decent team was something like $17M so you overpay by 33% and you've got a solid shot at landing the player.  The key for them is they might be looking at your 1 year $23M offer versus a 3 year, $48M offer from another team and have to really think about which one to take.

• Like 2

Just now, AHF said:

You thinking Supes confused them?

😆 I dunno they are both extremely great shooters. I don’t think Korver went back twice did he? Wait no he may have actually...I can’t recall. I know Korver was drafted by the Nets and traded for a copy machine or something really weird, but not sure is he had two tours in Philly. Redick never played in Philly before last year I’m sure of that.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

They signed him as an unrestricted free agent for $23M.  He had never played in Philly prior to signing.

I think the most he would have gotten from a decent team was something like $17M so you overpay by 33% and you've got a solid shot at landing the player.  The key for them is they might be looking at your 1 year $23M offer versus a 3 year, $48M offer from another team and have to really think about which one to take.

For some reason I assumed he was previously traded there. Honest mistake, I didn't fact check. 

• Premium Member
On 12/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, kg01 said:

Could we be the third man in a trade where we take on salary in exchange for a piece?  Ex. Like netting a guy like Beasley from DEN if they trade for Gallinari or something. 

No, I'm not saying specifically Beasley, just a player like that

@kg01. Just for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 12/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, kg01 said:

Could we be the third man in a trade where we take on salary in exchange for a piece?  Ex. Like netting a guy like Beasley from DEN if they trade for Gallinari or something. 

No, I'm not saying specifically Beasley, just a player like that

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@kg01. Just for you.

Denver Trade Idea:

Parker (PF) and Bembry (SG/SF) for Beasley (SG), Hernagomez (PF) and Morris (PG).

Denver gets instant offense (Parker) and Defense (Bembry, they are looking for wing defense) off the bench. 

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Denver Trade Idea:

Parker (PF) and Bembry (SG/SF) for Beasley (SG), Hernagomez (PF) and Morris (PG).

Denver gets instant offense (Parker) and Defense (Bembry, they are looking for wing defense) off the bench. 

What's the value of Hernangomez for Parker? Why would they trade one of the best backup PG's in the NBA on an elite contract? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Actually I am cool with doing nothing as long as a salary dumps for future assets aren't on the table. The future to me is Trae and Reddish in the back court to play with Hunter and Collins with Huerter off the bench as a back up 1 and 2. I WOULD KEEP Parker and Len at the right price and find a starting center in the draft.

• Like 2

I think the key to everything Schlenk has said is do not jeopardize the future just to get to a 8th seed. That is very ambiguous and could easily mean getting a big like Adams, TT, etc so long as the price is not to high. And then he mentions teams liking all our assets and looking at all the offers.

When you look at our cap for next season, there is very few moves that could be made that would take us away from having a full max next season. We have a lot of wiggle room to improve and the only thing I do not see him doing is getting us in a bad cap situation or trading away multiple good cheap assets.

Long story short, I can see us doing something on the 15th or soon after.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think there are going to be a ridiculous amount of moves made this year after the December 15th trade embargo is lifted and all through until we hit the deadline, and I would be surprised if the Hawks aren't involved in at least one of those moves. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Long story short, I can see us doing something on the 15th or soon after.

This is where I disagree.  I don't think we do anything until John gets back and plays and we see where we actually are as a team with all our 'projected core pieces' closer to the trade deadline February 7th. 

John will have played about 21 games by the deadline.

We have 7 games before 'The Return' - can we play .500 ball to get to 10-20?

If we play .500 ball with John back - our record could be at the deadline 21-30?

Is that enough to warrant a 'big' move?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we play .500 ball with John back - our record could be at the deadline 21-30?

Is that enough to warrant a 'big' move?

Not for me. If we are 21-30 we keep treading imo with our own roster minus a tweak here n there but no big moves. Unless we can somehow get ur Adams. That was a really good call Bird. I know you were one of the OG Adams advocates. I dig. 

• Thanks 1