• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Countdown to December 15th

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

This is a different year, a lot more teams think they are in it or close. Just higher expectations for everyone 

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just because teams 'think' they are in it - it really doesn't make it so.

Teams that had expectations that are struggling like Portland and Utah could make moves.

The bigger issue I see is the lack of quality FAs in the offseason and teams maneuvering for 2021 FA class.

Do you agree or disagree with Hollinger?

1. All the toxic deals are gone. We’re now four years out from the summer 2016 free-agency orgy, which means all the worst contracts in the league are expirings now.

2. Nobody can take money. Of all the limitations to the trade market, this one is perhaps the most important. Even if we had willing salary dumpers with toxic deals to unload, there is no place to dump the money.

3. Most contenders have their hands tied. Dallas is an exception to the rule – a good team that still may have some realistic trade possibilities. The summer of 2019 arms race has left several of the most prominent contenders scrounging for ammo at this year’s trade deadline. 

4. 2020 free agency stinks. So let’s say in spite of the obstacles above, a team found a side door to make a trade that dumped salary and set themselves up for 2020 free agency.

5. The tax is a minor factor. Finally, nobody is facing a whopping luxury tax bill this season, and only Portland is more than $6 million over the tax line. Five teams are in the luxury tax at the moment, but one of them is likely to stay over (Miami didn’t go all in with Jimmy Butler just to start dumping players at the deadline) and two of the others can get out very easily.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Other news, he expects most of the players on the market to actually get traded has he thinks most have reasonable value. What shocked me is he said Dennis Schröder has a value of two 2nds. I was like wtf! He said he will get it too. SAC, MIN and NY are interested. All three have the capital as well and a bad contract with multi years. I was shocked!

I think that explains it.  If you are giving up a bad multiyear contract, then OKC is taking a toxic asset for a player who is presumably significantly less productive than Dennis.  The gap in productivity can justify two 2nds.

• Like 1