• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Help me understand Schlenks 2021 free agency plan (assuming there’s a plan there)

JTB

I think we all have assumed that Schlenk has purposely not spent money in the previous free agencies due to the strong free agent class of 2021...and of course we don’t know if that’s really true or not for sure BUT let’s hypothetically say it is true cause on a business standpoint it the makes sense to do this and hold out to acquire better talent via free agency in 2 years from now.

but help me understand something....cause there’s just a few things I don’t really get with this plan as it’s very risky in a lot of ways in my opinion.

If this is the plan then....

-is schlenk planning on signing ONLY 1 year deals next off season to keep the cap flexibility for 2021 free agency ? And if so how many decent to good free agents in 2020 can you really acquire on 1 year deals to be competitive to make a playoff run next season?

-whats the plan if we aren’t competitive next season ?...how is that attractive to top or mid talented  free agents in 2021  ?

I understand holding out for a good free agency class in 2021 but I don’t understand holding out if you can’t guarantee to look competitive to make those good or great free agents look in your direction!...I’m not trying to be negative but if the hawks aren’t atleast a 8th seed in the playoffs next season before the 2021 free agency  then I can’t see any reason schlenk can believe he has any real opportunity to gain any kind of  good in that free agency class.

On the other hand i know the 2020 free agency class isn’t nearly as attractive as the 2021 free agency class (Not hard to see that) but on a “safe” perspective could it be a small window of opportunity to just make or assemble a DEEPER roster of to go along with the young core?...I mean even if you have to slightly over pay certain 2020 free agents to get them here, if the team is deeper all around for coming years wouldn’t that be great too? 

just a few thoughts...not saying don’t hold out for 2021 free agency but man is it going to be disappointing if we strike completely out which I have to remind you all is highly possible and that’s not negativity it’s just how these things go for hawks and just all Atlanta Proffessional sports unfortunately. To me it’s better to just play shit safe, we aren’t good enough or even have great enough pull to be holding out for any free agency class. 

Next year a wise option would be to go after Drummond or upgrade your weak positions with good FA and draft.

If we cannot get Drummond we should get Baynes or Noel, we really need a center, we should also try to get Wood, Bertans and a backup PG.

Once you have upgraded your team to be on a winning position on 2020 by two additions on FA and 2 additions on draft, go to 2021 FA class and become the main player, young team on playoff with 2 upcoming stars loking for the final piece to become a contender.

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We don't know yet honestly. The only thing he said is older guys get shorter deals and younger guys get longer deals.

News to me! I didn’t know he said that 

ok makes sense...I’m assuming when he says older that also includes late 20s as well get shorter contracts 

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's purposely not spent money on long term contracts for mid-tier free agents because we are a rebuilding team. No sense tying up your cap unnecessarily as you develop your draft picks. Nothing worse than having to worry about capspace, exceeding cap and luxury tax payments when your lottery picks are due contract extentions and you aren't even in the playoffs.

Ok...well I get that but no need to have all this  excessive cap space waiting on rookie contracts to be over when you can use some of that cap to make the team better all around during this this time the young core is on these rookie deals.

also I think the young guys will develop better and perhaps quicker with 2 or 3  solid vets who can actually contribute 

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

Next year a wise option would be to go after Drummond or upgrade your weak positions with good FA and draft.

If we cannot get Drummond we should get Baynes or Noel, we really need a center, we should also try to get Wood, Bertans and a backup PG.

Once you have upgraded your team to be on a winning position on 2020 by two additions on FA and 2 additions on draft, go to 2021 FA class and become the main player, young team on playoff with 2 upcoming stars loking for the final piece to become a contender.

I’m for Drummond but I understand if you pass on him if he’s demanding 30 mil per however I don’t believe he will be demanding that but we will see 

• Like 1

Potential all star players, coming into free agency, love to demand, and get, super star pay.  It's always so hard to say "no" when, what we most desire is right there, but too expensive.  Many a payroll has been wrecked by this.   Example:  Look at the bloated, one year remaining on their contract, players on our payroll right now.  We took them, along with future picks, to relieve their former teams.

We all want to spend wisely and improve greatly.  Wisdom required by our GM and his staff of scouts.

:smug:

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

I would hope he starts adding veteran depth in 2020. We need some quality vets at backup PG, SF, and PF/C. I think that will round out our roster, still allow our team to focus on developing our draft picks, and make our rounded out roster look more attractive in 2021. 

Same

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Capspace can also be used to trade for a disgruntled player, a team looking to start over and rebuild, a team that has not exceeded/met expectations and looking for a reset.

EXAMPLES ONLY: Utah isn't playing as well as expected currently, what if they decide to move Gobert? OKC trading Adams? Portland Nurkic? Wizards Beal? Houston Capela? Dedmon isn't playing that well in Sac, maybe we take him back at $13 mil (last year is guaranteed for $1 mil).

Ok good point 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

I would hope he starts adding veteran depth in 2020. We need some quality vets at backup PG, SF, and PF/C. I think that will round out our roster, still allow our team to focus on developing our draft picks, and make our rounded out roster look more attractive in 2021. 

See that’s my thinking IF schlenk plans to hit a strike or two in 2021 free agency he has to have a better more attractive 2020 team.

cant keep getting  away with washed up vets just because they have an expiring contract 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Same

But how long do he sign them for shall he look for the quality depth in 2020 free agency?

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, JTB said:

See that’s my thinking IF schlenk plans to hit a strike or two in 2021 free agency he has to have a better more attractive 2020 team.

cant keep getting  away with washed up vets just because they have an expiring contract 

But how long do he sign them for shall he look for the quality depth in 2020 free agency?

The value wasn't in taking on vets just for their expiring contracts, but rather it was about getting 1st round picks to take them. Those are the assets you need when rebuilding, selling capspace for 1sts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Per BR:

Atlanta Hawks: Trae Young

With a league-low $33.4 million in salary committed for next season, the Hawks could be serious players in free agency. That's good because Trae Young looks very much like he's by himself on some nights for a 5-17 Atlanta team.

If Anthony Davis won't take a meeting, there's no other superstar to turn to. Andre Drummond and Montrezl Harrell would be nice additions at center, which is the Hawks' biggest position of need.

If both return to their current teams, the Hawks should save their money for future extensions and load up on useful veterans who can contribute on the court while serving as quality locker room presences. Goran Dragic, Serge Ibaka and Aron Baynes would be quality fits.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864831-what-every-nba-team-can-do-to-keep-its-best-player-happy?share=other#slide0

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Per BR:

Atlanta Hawks: Trae Young

With a league-low $33.4 million in salary committed for next season, the Hawks could be serious players in free agency. That's good because Trae Young looks very much like he's by himself on some nights for a 5-17 Atlanta team.

If Anthony Davis won't take a meeting, there's no other superstar to turn to. Andre Drummond and Montrezl Harrell would be nice additions at center, which is the Hawks' biggest position of need.

If both return to their current teams, the Hawks should save their money for future extensions and load up on useful veterans who can contribute on the court while serving as quality locker room presences. Goran Dragic, Serge Ibaka and Aron Baynes would be quality fits.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864831-what-every-nba-team-can-do-to-keep-its-best-player-happy?share=other#slide0

I have a feeling there is something there with AD.  He knows what the writing on the wall is in LA and what Trae is capable of in getting him the ball in his spots.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I have a feeling there is something there with AD.  He knows what the writing on the wall is in LA and what Trae is capable of in getting him the ball in his spots.

Ya I agree with AD. Good friends with Trae and would excel Trae’s dime game no doubt. Also I like Trez a lot. He would fit like a glove 🧤 in the city of Atlanta imo. I mentioned Trez in the 1/4 way through the season Supes thread before. He’s a blue collar dude it’d be like having Millsap back in a way. 😊 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turnermx said:

Really???

well I hope you’re right . I have to be honest say there’s probably no chance for us being that Lakers look like the best team in the west and prime for a championship run maybe two or three depending on how lebrons body holds up.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya I agree with AD. Good friends with Trae and would excel Trae’s dime game no doubt. Also I like Trez a lot. He would fit like a glove 🧤 in the city of Atlanta imo. I mentioned Trez in the 1/4 way through the season Supes thread before. He’s a blue collar dude it’d be like having Millsap back in a way. 😊 

I’d take Trez but we’re going to have to pay him probably a nice sizable contract to get him to leave his role behind with the the clippers.

• Like 1