• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hollinger hates our rookies

bleachkit

• Premium Member

*Sigh*

This is pretty much accurate all around. I know the consensus around here is that Hunter is "doing alright" but whatever the eye test is telling people a quick look at any of his numbers whether raw or advanced tells a very, very different story. Doesn't rebound, doesn't create, his off ball defense is not there (worst defensive win shares on the team). Not saying he hasn't shown any flashes of being a good 3 and D guy, but showing a few flashes when you are a 22 year old rookie is not exactly something to be proud of from your #4 overall pick. Now... the season is still young, and we have had injuries. I'm not writing Hunter off or anything like that but to describe his start as anything other than disapointing would be a massive lie, regardless of the context. I understand the struggles with the offensive side, and I didn't expect him to be a creator... but no rebounding and inconsistent defense are harder to swallow. Also figured he'd be better than a 40% FG player by now. 

As for Cam... well, after having what has to be one of the worst starts in the history of the league for a top 10 pick he is looking like an NBA player lately. That's the best complimetn I can come up with. However, in his defense we all knew the kid was a bit of a project so at least showing some tanginble improvement means we are on the right track with him. In that sense Hunter's struggles have been a bigger surprise to me than Cam's. 

• Like 4

Yeah, these draft picks have not looked too good so far.  I don't know what Cam is even doing in the NBA at this point.  He's a baby and needs to be in college park building confidence.  

Hunter I suppose will get there but he's a work in progress as well.

It was a terrible draft though.  Going back to look at it,  i like our aggressiveness and Travis got it to fall his way.  I think we were happy coming out of the draft, but perhaps we have blown it.  Again.  Too early to say, but these horses are looking kinda lame.

Moving up in a lousy draft tends to work out poorly.  My faves on draft night were Brandon Clarke, Culver, and Bruno.  Culver is doing just as poorly as Hunter.  I still like Bruno and think he's an NBA player.  Obviously Clarke is a beast and the steal of the draft probably.  I didn't want PJ Washington, but obviously I was wrong.  That dude is the second coming of Paul Millsap.  And I hated on Cam a bunch, but really didn't mind him at #10 as much.  Just thought he was a project with some upside who got bumped up because he made a name for himself in preps and he got the undeserved bump for being a Dookie.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, High5 said:

People get too caught up in Hunter's age. He's still a rookie and 22 is still very young. 

Well at It's just hard to understand what compelled us to give up picks 8, 17, and 35 for him at this stage. Starting to look like stayin pat would have been a smarter move. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much more than Taurean Prince with better defense as a ceiling for Hunter so far, and he's still got some ways to go on offense to really be even that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Well at It's just hard to understand what compelled us to give up picks 8, 17, and 35 for him at this stage. Starting to look like stayin pat would have been a smarter move. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much more than Taurean Prince with better defense as a ceiling for Hunter so far, and he's still got some ways to go on offense to really be even that. 

There are a ton of eventually good players that didn't look special <2 months into their careers. He's already an above average 3pt shooter on good volume and he's been a fairly solid defender. ESPN just released their RPM stats and he's rated as a positive defender (and our best not counting John's 5 games). There's a lot of value in him simply becoming a great 3&D. But he's also shown the ability to hit some tough shots in traffic and get some high quality looks from ~15 in. He just hasn't hit them consistently yet. 

Still, I understand having doubts. I'm just generally patient with rookies and even more so now after what we saw from Trae last season. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That took some deep digging....

......yikes, it's not pretty!!! actually down right Terribad!!

Most are no longer in the NBA, some are barely NBA platers  - WOW!!!

I'd be tempted to grant him Triple J as his parting gift. But given a certain individual the Grizzlies allowed the Hawks and Mavs to play volleyball with over their heads, I doubt he wants much credit for that pick, either.

~lw3

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

(2) Trae ranks second-worst in DRPM. Who's #431? (I kinda gave this away a couple days ago)

~lw3

This is why I can never fully get behind Trae.  Offensive skills historic.  Defensive tools and productivity just about cancel them out making him a strictly box office player (sigh).   We saw flashes last season of him trying to form a respectable floor game for his size but that has regressed to pretty much nothing.  Can’t set a screen nor run through one.  Can’t run off the ball nor impede his man from doing so.  Guys like Nunn, Smart, and Van Fleet always post ungodly +/- versus my man with only a fraction of his on ball skills.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

This is why I can never fully get behind Trae.  Offensive skills historic.  Defensive tools and productivity just about cancel them out making him a strictly box office player (sigh).   We saw flashes last season of him trying to form a respectable floor game for his size but that has regressed to pretty much nothing.  Can’t set a screen nor run through one.  Can’t run off the ball nor impede his man from doing so.  Guys like Nunn, Smart, and Van Fleet always post ungodly +/- versus my man without a fraction of the skills.

one encouraging sign, though. Check out the answer to Quiz Question #3. (Having a certain informant around as a teammate is probably helping this guy surge up the charts.)

~lw3

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I've got nowhere else to stash this and it's unworthy of it's own thread, but the ESPN RPMs are out.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

3 Quiz Questions:

(1) Trae ranks third-best in ORPM. Who's #1 and #2? (this one's kinda easy, if you assume Giannis isn't one of them)

(2) Trae ranks second-worst in DRPM. Who's #431? (I kinda gave this away a couple days ago)

(3) As Trae might have guessed by now, Kris Dunn ranks 1st in DRPM among all players classified as PGs w/ 15+ MPG. WHO currently ranks 2nd among the PGs???

~lw3

For those who "Got" the answer to Quiz Question (3), I'll note that last season, he was 10th-worst in DRPM among PGs by the same (15+ MPG) criteria. 6th-worst the two seasons before with a certain basketball club. Now, by "Hookah" by crook, he's 2nd-best.

~lw3

• Haha 3