• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Brandon Goodwin Stan Group

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not understanding why it took so long for Pierce to realize that we actually needed a PG to play backup PG.  Goodwin has been available the whole damn time.   Not that he's the world's greatest but he's better than watching Turner, Heurter, Cam, and Bembry trying to play point.  geez.

We didn't have an empty roster spot until we waived Wallace. Goodwin has 45 days (not games) he can play with the big club. After than he has to be sent back down for the rest of the season or signed tonan NBA deal.  So it's important to manage the limited mumber of days.

Also:

1. Evan Turner has been injured on and off all season, so I don't think we saw the best of him as the attempted backup. I still didn't like the trade or having him as the backup. 

2. I think the Huerter as a secondary ball handler got derailed by his injuries as well. But i think that role was for playing next to Trae and relieving the traps Trae got.

3. Bembry has been disappointing in this department.

4. Cam was placed in a role he wasn't quite ready to handle, that and he plays like a toddler learning to walk sometimes when he drives to the basket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We didn't have an empty roster spot until we waived Wallace. Goodwin has 45 days (not games) he can play with the big club. After than he has to be sent back down for the rest of the season or signed tonan NBA deal.  So it's important to manage the limited mumber of days.

Also:

1. Evan Turner has been injured on and off all season, so I don't think we saw the best of him as the attempted backup. I still didn't like the trade or having him as the backup. 

2. I think the Huerter as a secondary ball handler got derailed by his injuries as well. But i think that role was for playing next to Trae and relieving the traps Trae got.

3. Bembry has been disappointing in this department.

4. Cam was placed in a role he wasn't quite ready to handle, that and he plays like a toddler learning to walk sometimes when he drives to the basket.

Honestly Cam looked better a PG than the rest of them.   Don't know why we even bothered with Wallace.   Maybe i'm ignorant of the implications but signing BG to an nba deal for the rest of the season doesn't seem like something we should be that scared of.  Plus we might have other PG help coming through a trade anyway.    But 45 games is a lot.  If he's playing well then why not sign him.  If not well then we know.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly Cam looked better a PG than the rest of them.   Don't know why we even bothered with Wallace.   Maybe i'm ignorant of the implications but signing BG to an nba deal for the rest of the season doesn't seem like something we should be that scared of.  Plus we might have other PG help coming through a trade anyway.    But 45 games is a lot.  If he's playing well then why not sign him.  If not well then we know.   

45 days, so if he's up with the team and practicing on non game days that counts towards the 45 days.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, marco102 said:

What am I missing with Goodwin?  Are you guys excited over one game or is there something more here? I mean I loved what I saw from him in Orlando, but that's just one game. 

Has he been tearing it up in G league?  What makes everyone say we've found our backup point guard besides the poor play of everyone attempting to play point, but Trae? 

19 ppg  and 7 apg in g league.  Plays defense.   BTW, what is a "Stan group?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

45 days, so if he's up with the team and practicing on non game days that counts towards the 45 days.

Ahhh.  there you go.  Still seems like we sat through a lot of crappy backup PG play for fear of that 45 days.   Of course, it's just one game.   He looks real good but you never know.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Ahhh.  there you go.  Still seems like we sat through a lot of crappy backup PG play for fear of that 45 days.   Of course, it's just one game.   He looks real good but you never know.  

I don't think it was fear but rather giving the guys here an opportunity to right the ship, until we couldn't.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think it was fear but rather giving the guys here an opportunity to right the ship, until we couldn't.

I get that but with Turner not playing I'm just not getting the idea that we can win nba games with Huerter and Bembry running point a lot.  I mean it didn't work with Joe Johnson and he's 10x the player those guys are.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I get that but with Turner not playing I'm just not getting the idea that we can win nba games with Huerter and Bembry running point a lot.  I mean it didn't work with Joe Johnson and he's 10x the player those guys are.

Different with Joe, he was primary. Huerter and Bembry were supposed to be secondary ball handlers, forced to be primary cuz Turner can't stay healthy and frankly he sucked at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

That's my point.  How many games were lost because of the bumbling when Trae left the game?  Yet we continued just to have those guys be the primary ballhandlers despite repeated failure.   Just beating a dead horse here but it wasn't just that BG had a great game.  It was that he is an actual PG which is > than no PG at all.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

That's my point.  How many games were lost because of the bumbling when Trae left the game?  Yet we continued just to have those guys be the primary ballhandlers despite repeated failure.   Just beating a dead horse here but it wasn't just that BG had a great game.  It was that he is an actual PG which is > than no PG at all.  

Games were moreso lost because of John's idiocy and Hueter's injuries. Everything snowballed from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

You can definitely make a strong case that LP should have moved sooner on Goodwin.  The one thing I will point out is that he may have wanted to give Bembry, Huert, etc. run as the primary guy to develop them and see how they did in a more demanding role.  But he also plays VC at PF and Parker at C so I can't fully explain other than to say it looks like LP / TS were higher on Wallace at least initially.  

• Moderators
17 hours ago, AHF said:

You can definitely make a strong case that LP should have moved sooner on Goodwin.  The one thing I will point out is that he may have wanted to give Bembry, Huert, etc. run as the primary guy to develop them and see how they did in a more demanding role.  But he also plays VC at PF and Parker at C so I can't fully explain other than to say it looks like LP / TS were higher on Wallace at least initially.  

Bembry is what he is.  There's plenty of evidence against him running point.  I know LP wants Heurter to be a good secondary ball handler which is fine.  But putting him into the official PG role for extended minutes has been a disaster.  We saw again last night that his handles aren't good enough for that and his court vision is suspect.  As an off guard it's fine.   Maybe he could develop those skills but i'm not really seeing the point of forcing that issue.  Let him learn to be a great shooting guard first.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I know LP wants Heurter to be a good secondary ball handler which is fine.  But putting him into the official PG role for extended minutes has been a disaster.  We saw again last night that his handles aren't good enough for that and his court vision is suspect.  As an off guard it's fine.   Maybe he could develop those skills but i'm not really seeing the point of forcing that issue.  Let him learn to be a great shooting guard first.  

Agree. Kevin is what he is and that is a SG I believe. If his handles improve it still is not a case for him to be the floor general at any time. Bail Trae and Goodwin out from serious defensive play and that will be big enough. We already know his strongest talent is stretching the floor with his gun.

• Like 3