• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No.  This roster was never a .500 team without injuries because the team doesn’t have enough veterans and has too many young players getting big minutes.

I agree with KB on this which is why my prediction for this season was 30 wins.  They always seemed too young to avoid a losing record to me and TS's moves clearly signaled to me that he wanted one more year in the lottery.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree with KB on this which is why my prediction for this season was 30 wins.  They always seemed too young to avoid a losing record to me and TS's moves clearly signaled to me that he wanted one more year in the lottery.

...and to show how stupid it is to actually want another lottery pick, Travis now has to sprinkle some pixie dust to get all the youth on this team to the point where they can actually play winning basketball.  That’s why this is a foolish path to take.  All these young players are not going to suddenly start playing winning basketball because they have now decided to make winning the focus of the organization (it should have been the focus the entire time).  

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

...and to show how stupid it is to actually want another lottery pick, Travis now has to sprinkle some pixie dust to get all the youth on this team to the point where they can actually play winning basketball.  That’s why this is a foolish path to take.  All these young players are not going to suddenly start playing winning basketball because they have now decided to make winning the focus of the organization (it should have been the focus the entire time).  

I thought it made sense.  TS's plan was basically to have 3 years in the lottery and then add vets to start shooting to make the playoffs.  This is year 3 of the lottery and we've already started adding our vets for next year's planned step up to competitive play (Capela and Dedmon - Teague will be a FA so I don't count him yet except as an add for a better developmental environment for our players for the rest of the year).  We will have roughly $50M in cap space to add more. 

I'm also not convinced we will keep the lottery pick.  I think TS will shop it for a young player he likes and only keep it if he doesn't get a value he likes.  We'll have to see which young players are begging for a trade after this season.

Lots of championship teams have flipped lottery picks for players who were keys to that run.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Anyone watching the games sees that with a healthy roster this is a .500 team and that's without the new players.   Last year the Pistons made the playoffs at 41-41 just beating out the mighty Heat. 

I agree with you but honestly, I agree with AHF as well. This team we seen in December and January with the rooks. But Cam was awful in the preseason and October and November. He would have cost us games. Huerter wasn't Huerter those months either. 

It would have been tough even if Collins wouldn't have been suspended. 

This team of late is a 500 team though. They been playing much better as a group but then again, Jeff and Goodwin is a big part of that and they weren't on the opening day real roster. So we have a lot of reinforcements that wasn't here to start.

I've said it for awhile, I really understated the lost of the wings and Dedmon, especially Dedmon. As of right now the wings are coming together nicely, especially Cam but we still look horrendous center wise. Obviously we brought in reinforcements which will massively help.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

I thought it made sense.  TS's plan was basically to have 3 years in the lottery and then add vets to start shooting to make the playoffs.  This is year 3 of the lottery and we've already started adding our vets for next year's planned step up to competitive play (Capela and Dedmon - Teague will be a FA so I don't count him yet except as an add for a better developmental environment for our players for the rest of the year).  We will have roughly $50M in cap space to add more. 

I'm also not convinced we will keep the lottery pick.  I think TS will shop it for a young player he likes and only keep it if he doesn't get a value he likes.  We'll have to see which young players are begging for a trade after this season.

Lots of championship teams have flipped lottery picks for players who were keys to that run.

Yeah.  That’s the ticket.  Trade the pick for yet another young player.  This team needs veterans.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree with you but honestly, I agree with AHF as well. This team we seen in December and January with the rooks. But Cam was awful in the preseason and October and November. He would have cost us games. Huerter wasn't Huerter those months either. 

This team of late is a 500 team though. They been playing much better as a group but then again, Jeff and Goodwin is a big part of that and they weren't on the opening day real roster. So we have a lot of reinforcements that wasn't here to start.

I've said it for awhile, I really understated the lost of the wings and Dedmon, especially Dedmon. As of right now the wings are coming together nicely, especially Cam but we still look horrendous center wise. Obviously we brought in reinforcements which will massively help.

Yea, it's a stretch to say that this team would have been a .500 team this year. Still, if the team had remained relatively healthy /not suspended it's also very probable we would be within striking distance of the 8th spot right now. Still the consolation for having our entire team break is having a lottery pick this year again. I'll take it. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

No.  This roster was never a .500 team without injuries because the team doesn’t have enough veterans and has too many young players getting big minutes.

I actually agree with this..Schlenk himself predicted 30 wins I think. 

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

The team never would have been .500 for the season but you can see that it could be .500 the rest of the way if healthy.    Being a .500 team next year is well within reach.  

Yes, but mainly because of the additions. Our Center situation and lack of production from the wings would have made it a loooooong shot to win half of our games so far this year even if healthy and playing. I think next year with the assumption of Cam and Hunter making strides and the additions of Capela and depth in the frontcourt .500 should absolutely be the goal. If that team stays relatively healthy and LP can't crack .500 then we can for sure say we have a coaching issue IMO. 

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

I'm the veteran here on the Squawk.  Not because I'm the smartest or wisest, just the oldest.

Please define what earns an NBA player the title, veteran.  I know that I have heard the expression "Veteran minimum" when referring to minimum pay.  Does a veteran have to be a certain age or have a certain number of years in the NBA?

:hi:

I should clarify and say we shouldn’t be paying someone in the offseason based on what we think they could become or have an arbitrary age range that we want to target.  We should be targeting players who are effective players that can help the team win.  No Josh Jackson types.  No Harry Giles types.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  That’s the ticket.  Trade the pick for yet another young player.  This team needs veterans.

Young is a matter of perspective.  Not someone like Sap who will no longer be on the team when this group is ready to peak.   (You sign a guy like that in FA without giving up a pick).  But someone who is in their prime at 27 or something is a great fit and may have been in the league for 6 years or something already.  Iggy was 29 when GS traded for him.  That is the upper range of what I expect TS would be looking to get by trading his top pick this offseason.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, txsting said:

I'll be looking forward to the lottery.  I'm really intrigued by Halliburton.  He leads his teams in points, rebounds, assists, and steals.  Plug his numbers into player finder and you will see 4 college seasons in history with per games averages better than 15 pts, 6 reb, 6 assists, and 2 steals.  2 of those players played in major conferences.  They were Penny Hardaway and Jason Kidd.

Halliburton has definitely been on my radar. That is pretty good company 😲

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

You made an excellent point here Supes that I hadn't thought of before.  We have discussed Schlenk over estimating the contribution that vets such as Parker, Crabbe and Turner could make but I think he also under estimated the contribution of the departing vets Bazemore, Prince and Dedmon (who he has now returned).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

This team was not initially constructed to win at a sustainable level.  At least not initially.  They were going to be bottom 5 in any imaginative conclusion for this season. 

Not initially but the biggest factor to change that has been Young's surprisingly rapid ascent.  Had John not missed 25 games and Heurter not missed as many games as he did, the moves that Schlenk just made could quite possibly have easily rode the Hawks to the 7 or 8 seed in the East.  Most likely too deep in the hole now, but I expect a .500 team from here on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks will have at least five open roster spots for next season.  Why are you so against adding one lottery pick and four other veterans? I don't even know why I keep asking you sensible questions when I know your response will be snarky and not give a detailed response. 

I know! If we add the lottery pick, he'll be getting 16 - 20 minutes and those minutes will be so detrimental we can barely win 10 games next season because of the lottery pick.  What if he comes in and is like Luka or Trae? 

An aside, going into next season, we'll have  ALOT more continuity than coming into this season.  That should make a big difference. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The Hawks will have at least five open roster spots for next season.  Why are you so against adding one lottery pick and four other veterans? I don't even know why I keep asking you sensible questions when I know your response will be snarky and not give a detailed response. 

I know! If we add the lottery pick, he'll be getting 16 - 20 minutes and those minutes will be so detrimental we can barely win 10 games next season because of the lottery pick.  What if he comes in and is like Luka or Trae? 

An aside, going into next year we'll have  ALOT more continuity than we coming into this year.  That should make a big difference. 

It should be pretty obvious.  Based on where they are picking, whoever they take is going to be force played, just like they have done with this year’s rookie class.  And once again, the “main” focus will be on developing the young players, so they won’t go out of their way to bring in anyone that may actually block their playing time.