• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It should be pretty obvious.  Based on where they are picking, whoever they take is going to be force played, just like they have done with this year’s rookie class.  And once again, the “main” focus will be on developing the young players, so they won’t go out of their way to bring in anyone that may actually block their playing time.  

The problem here is that we already have young players at PG, SG, SF, PF and the center position we just took care of. This draft would be for that extra depth and that player most likely will not get rewarded with a ton of minutes like our past few rookies unless they are exceptional.   We still of course will let Trae, Kevin, Cam, De'Andre, and John get most of the minutes next year, but they will have solid vets backing them up.  No reason to be against another lottery pick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The problem here is that we already have young players at PG, SG, SF, PF and the center position we just took care of. This draft would be for that extra depth and that player most likely will not get rewarded with a ton of minutes like our past few rookies unless they are exceptional.   We still of course will let Trae, Kevin, Cam, De'Andre, and John get most of the minutes next year, but they will have solid vets backing them up.  No reason to be against another lottery pick.

Even if the lottery pick gets fewer minutes than the rookies this year have gotten, they still aren’t going to bring in a veteran that will play ahead of the rookie.  They will use the rookie in lieu of the veteran based on his draft status.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Even if the lottery pick gets fewer minutes than the rookies this year have gotten, they still aren’t going to bring in a veteran that will play ahead of the rookie.  They will use the rookie in lieu of the veteran based on his draft status.  

200.webp?cid=790b7611546a3ff417ede093e65

47 minutes ago, turnermx said:

You made an excellent point here Supes that I hadn't thought of before.  We have discussed Schlenk over estimating the contribution that vets such as Parker, Crabbe and Turner could make but I think he also under estimated the contribution of the departing vets Bazemore, Prince and Dedmon (who he has now returned).

I think that's exactly what happened. He was probably using what are likely in-house analytics that the public can't see to make his determination on how NBA players that he might bring in would potentially help (considering that he also has done that to make a projection on seasons). Those analytics that I'm referring to, likely overestimated the impact of the players brought in.

That's definitely why you can still argue this in two ways. There's a case for improvement and progress to be made with the right offseason moves to compliment the players here, and a case to still have very real concern on if the team that's in the front office even has the ability to start building up a team because of what we saw transpire this year, even through the injuries and suspension (which is why I've referred to Schlenk=Coppy of the NBA without the ability to be busted for something like Coppy was a bit). 

Schlenk at least has shown so far though that he's realized the mistakes he made last summer, but we still have a much longer period of watching, even though we've seen some good news still. Next year could still use some shooting/bench scoring brought in, preferably on short term deals if possible (and we all know the names), and a veteran voice or two (Teague maybe returns plus one other). What do we see happen there...needless to say, at least for my case, if the shooting/bench scoring does come, I will be happy.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 3

Our old veteran, VC, is retiring at season's end.  Who replaces his age and experience?  Hawks need someone to come here, play a little and help lead our youth.  Due to all our troubles this season, VC has played more minutes than he planned to, I suppose.  Yet, being the old trooper that he is, he has stepped right up and filled in.

We might find another old Hawk to go along with J. Teague.  

Thoughts?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Our old veteran, VC, is retiring at season's end.  Who replaces his age and experience?  Hawks need someone to come here, play a little and help lead our youth.  Due to all our troubles this season, VC has played more minutes than he planned to, I suppose.  Yet, being the old trooper that he is, he has stepped right up and filled in.

Thoughts?

Vince had no impact on this team what so ever.  We would have won more games if we used that roster spot to sign a better player.  Enough with this myth that Vince helped us win the 14 games that we've won so far this season because he didn't.  Lets use his roster spot wisely next year.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Thoughts?

Dedmon is that guy i hear.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Vince had no impact on this team what so ever.  We would have won more games if we used that roster spot to sign a better player.  Enough with this myth that Vince helped us win the 14 games that we've won so far this season because he didn't.  Lets use his roster spot wisely next year.

OK - Vince had no impact.  His leadership, on and off the court, had no impact.  He didn't do anything for the team what so ever.  Your words, not mine.

I suppose that you have inside knowledge about this and can prove what you are saying.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

OK - Vince had no impact.  His leadership, on and off the court, had no impact.  He didn't do anything for the team what so ever.  Your words, not mine.

I suppose that you have inside knowledge about this and can prove what you are saying.  

Wins and Loses tell the story.  The goal is to win and the Hawks haven't done much of that this year. 

So if the projections for this year (for a healthy roster) were 30 wins and we are halfway there with all the injuries and John's suspension, couldn't we say the rooks actually over performed expectations? We have 30 games left and only need to play .500 basketball to meet the projections. 

• Like 3

I didn’t want to start another thread to ask this question but now after the deadline who has the most cap spaces heading into the off season? Or Most possible cap space if teams were to renounce their players rights  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the past couple of days think my outlook at the top six guys has changed a good bit with good health involved. Trae, Cam, Kevin, JC, Clint and Dedmon. Hunter is really struggling but will see his way through. Other than defense not expecting so much more from Hunter this season because he hit the wall a ways back. Bruno is the developing bruiser for now. Anyway like the construction a whole lot more now. As good a job as could be expected by TS during this deadline thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Wins and Loses tell the story.  The goal is to win and the Hawks haven't done much of that this year. 

That's a little short-sighted. Development takes time. Vets can teach teammates a ton of things that may not have immediate dividends. These guys have to learn what work ethic, physical maintenance, and professionalism in the NBA look like. Some of those things simply may not translate into wins in just a few months.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JTB said:

I didn’t want to start another thread to ask this question but now after the deadline who has the most cap spaces heading into the off season? Or Most possible cap space if teams were to renounce their players rights  ?

Hawks close to top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Some fans only see the win - loss of their team.  With an older team this would be true.  With so many very young players on the Hawks roster there is more than this.  There is much learning to do, both on the floor and out in the world.

In the last year and a half while VC has been a Hawk, how many of our young men have been in trouble with the law?  How much have they learned about the life of an NBA player?  

VC is respected around the NBA.  He brings this to the team and they gain respect because he is one of them.  No, he hasn't won a lot of games for the Hawks this season.  Remember that 3 ball from VC late in our last game.  It put out the fire for our opponent and insured the victory.

Personally, I'm glad he is a Hawk.

Agreed, the roster shouldn't all be twenty somethings for several big reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

With the past couple of days think my outlook at the top six guys has changed a good bit with good health involved. Trae, Cam, Kevin, JC, Clint and Dedmon. Hunter is really struggling but will see his way through. Other than defense not expecting so much more from Hunter this season because he hit the wall a ways back. Bruno is the developing bruiser for now. Anyway like the construction a whole lot more now. As good a job as could be expected by TS during this deadline thing.

Quite frankly, I was shocked to see Hunter's numbers somewhat solid over the past 10 games.  He is turning the ball over a little much but is shooting 3s around 35%, 43% FGs overall.. I am disappointed in his performance overall this season but I think he got hurt the most by Collins suspension having to fill in at the NBA 4 where he is out of position, while at the same time trying to adjust to NBA 3 where he is out of position relative to VA Cavaliers where he played College 4

• Like 3