Ask Supes

NBASupes

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

This may be hard to answer but the biggest fundamental view I've reached for this season is that we need immediate help not to win more games per se but so that the team can functionally operate in a way that creates an environment for the young players to develop.  Does TS recognize he needs to make (at least) some low cost moves as soon as possible to upgrade the overall talent on this roster for the sake of helping our young guys develop or is he viewing this year as more lost and that the young guys will develop even when the team is dysfunctional?

I get we don't have a clear starter at Center; but we do 1 - 4 in my mind. Then Cam and Crabbe as the next best at the 2 and 3. Parker is ok at the 3 and 4. One thing I don't understand is we play all these small lineups with Vince at the 4.

Why did we not try some bag man lineups with Parker playing the 3? There is just so many things I question about this season, its a disaster.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Atlanta wants to keep these guys?  or they feel like they have good trade value?  

Are open to keeping is a better way to phase it. Len is the only one I know they are in constant contact with his agent. Parker can opted in. 

I can't answer that directly as mentioned in the first post. Just know that teams around the league see value in all three. Len then Parker. Len has been the player it seems Atlanta is least receptive on trade talks according to others. 

• Premium Member

I think it is acknowledged that big men may take longer to develop.  Are there are big men that are 'on the cusp' that may be available and that might be a good fit for the Hawks?

• Like 2

Just now, AtlHomer said:

I think it is acknowledged that big men may take longer to develop.  Are there are big men that are 'on the cusp' that may be available and that might be a good fit for the Hawks?

Good question.

And further evidence of why I hope we trade our '20 pick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

This may be hard to answer but the biggest fundamental view I've reached for this season is that we need immediate help not to win more games per se but so that the team can functionally operate in a way that creates an environment for the young players to develop.  

Yep! But more than anything, I think they feel they got their core players they want to develop long term. The talk is Atlanta loves their kids but they called Vlade for a reason. They need quality vets. They realize this too. Like I said in a previous thread, I think one or two moves is likely. I know they are in the mix for about 3-4 moves and working on some super irrelevant minor moves as well which don't count. You know, moves like last year's Tyler Dorsey trade. 

Does TS recognize he needs to make (at least) some low cost moves as soon as possible to upgrade the overall talent on this roster for the sake of helping our young guys develop or is he viewing this year as more lost and that the young guys will develop even when the team is dysfunctional?

I wouldn't say these are low cost moves they are working on but they realize they need quality vets, shooting, more offense off the bench, and better fits to LP's modern NBA system. Atlanta been talking to everyone. Teams around the league have a good idea what Atlanta wants to do and add. He said more than anything, they want to move to the next level which is competing nightly v. anyone, having an strong identity and winning games. 

They do believe the young guys are developing right now, they just don't believe all of the players are building good traits at this time aka, you know who... 

If I had to give it a scale of what Atlanta wants in the trade deadline: 

1. A starting center

2. More shooting on the perimeter. 

3. Adding 2-3 veterans 

4. Adding players who fit LP's style of play

Teams around the league expect Atlanta to be major players during the buyout market period as well. The feel is Atlanta is one of the biggest buyers if not the biggest on the market just due to the assets and willingness they have shown. What's killing this trade market and NO ONE wants to take on salary or potential salary beyond 2021. Everyone wants a shot at one of the deepest FAs in years while this (2020) is one of the weakest in years. 

28 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We shall see. I think the Pistons, Kings, Spurs, and Pelicans among others have major decisions coming up. Last season no one saw the flurry of activity coming with the Tobias Harris trade.

Pistons yes

Spurs No

Pelicans Hell No. Teams called and everything was overpaid like you were in a Balmain's Store. 

Also, Crabbe isn't safe. 

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Good question.

And further evidence of why I hope we trade our '20 pick.

The bigs are dropping like flies from top 10 mocks. Chances are high we may not take one anyway. Though Wiseman has dropped in some, he and the kid from USC, Okongwu, seem like the most touted at this time.

Edited by Buzzard

Just now, NBASupes said:

Pistons yes

Spurs No

Pelicans Hell No. Teams called and everything was overpaid like you were in a Balmain's Store. 

Also, Crabbe isn't safe. 

Asking prices drop and a lot of things can change by the 6th.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The bigs are dropping like flies in top 10 mocks. Chances are high we may not take one anyway. Though Wiseman has dropped in some, he and the kid from USC, Okongwu, seem like the most touted at this time.

Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass ... none of them are gonna come in able to help us in as many ways as we clearly need them to.

They are pipe dreams organizations like ORL, PHX, SAC, etc. get bogged down on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass ... none of them are gonna come in able to help us in as many ways as we clearly need them to.

They are pipe dreams organizations like ORL, PHX, SAC, etc. get bogged down on.

I can see Schlenk doing another trade down in this draft. I really can, if he does not get the top player he covets. Its just a guess on my part but I think he coveted Ayton and/or Bagley when he made the move down to get Trae.

Edited by Buzzard

8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Asking prices drop and a lot of things can change by the 6th.

Not the Pels, they think they could make a run for the playoffs and by the metrics. They are far and away the best team not in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Not the Pels, they think they could make a run for the playoffs and by the metrics. They are far and away the best team not in the playoffs. 

I understand that. Jrue is injured again and does he really fit what they want to do? A Lakers 1st round match up may be good for the ratings; but it would be a very short highly rated series.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I understand that. Jrue is injured again and does he really fit what they want to do? A Lakers 1st round match up may be good for the ratings; but it would be a very short highly rated series.

They aren't selliing Buzz. To be honest, DET really isn't as well. They want the value they want. 

At this point with Parker and Bembry it seems to me only a second round or better type playoff team would be interested and only because of an injury or something. I understand Parker can score but as many have said he gives it right back on the other end. Neither carry a lot of weight as expirings with their contracts Could be part of a play I guess but if I was an opposing GM I would want a second rounder with one of them or something else that TS is not likely gonna give up before the deadline. 

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They aren't selliing Buzz. To be honest, DET really isn't as well. They want the value they want. 

I know that since no one has made a trade. But we are three weeks and change away. I will stand by my statement. Prices drop and things change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Just tossing out a name I've heard mentioned:

ANDREW WIGGINS - guard

Any interest by the Hawks?  His $$$ payroll hit is kinda high.

:dance4:

Not available. While Minny is looking for better fits like Atlanta, they aren't looking to move Wiggins. They consider him a part of their core. Good mention. I actually asked about him a week ago when news came out that Minny was planning on being active during this year's deadline. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I know that since no one has made a trade. But we are three weeks and change away. I will stand by my statement. Prices drop and things change.

We aren't in trade season yet. That's why trades haven't happen outside of Utah's who overpaid for Clarkson but felt they needed too and it worked. They won 10 straight. 

• Like 1